PDA

View Full Version : Entry Vs. Exit Wounds

Buckmeister
10-07-2016, 06:32 PM
In this case, the entry wound is way bigger for some reason. And yes, I am positive which photo is which.

Species: Mule Deer
Sex: Male Buck
Age: Young (I shot Bambi in order to bring home some meat and make wife happy, normally I let Bambi walk)
Type of shot: Freehand, Quartering to slightly and moving from right to left, target slightly uphill (I thought he was broadside)
Distance: 49 yards (on range finder after kill)
Rifle: Tikka T3 Hunter
Caliber: .300 Win Mag
Ammo: Barnes VOR-TX, 180 GR. Tipped TSX BT
Distance traveled after shot: zero yards (Bang Flop)

Damage is highlighted in white. Tore through front of both tenderloins and severed spine completely.
1st photo is entry wound.
2nd photo is exit.

Entry wound
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1300a.jpg

Exit Wound
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1302a.jpg

hoochie
10-07-2016, 06:45 PM
lots of power, and way to close!
Its a big relief off the shoulders to get some meat in the freezer!!

Mikey Rafiki
10-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Rib in. No rib out. Mono bullet.

If you can't stick your fist in it not much of a wound :)

Buckmeister
10-07-2016, 07:04 PM
"As they lay"....

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_1292a.jpg

rocksteady
10-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Rib in. No rib out. Mono bullet.

If you can't stick your fist in it not much of a wound :)

depends on what the projectile comes in contact with, on the way In or the way out..

dont matter... dead is dead

Gateholio
10-07-2016, 08:00 PM
Fast moving bullet hits rib bone, rapidly expands, tears up the insides, the petals fold back along the shank,shank plows through leaving a small exit wound.

It's what's inside that counts! :)

BigMrMeats
10-07-2016, 09:00 PM
I was confused by this... so I looked up your bullets.

Quote:A polymer tip has been added to the newest version of Barnes’ Triple Shock X Bullet. The Tipped TSX features the same all-copper body with multiple rings cut into the shank. The streamlined tip boosts BC for better long-range ballistics. Expands instantly, even on thin-skinned game. Like the Triple-Shock, the Tipped TSX penetrates completely through tough tissue and heavy bone, while powerful hydraulic forces destroy vital organs. Retains virtually 100 percent of it’s original weight. Four razor-sharp cutting petals create more internal damage than any competing bullet for cleaner, quicker kills.

At 49 yards... I would have done what it advertised... expanded on impact so you have mass hydraulic force and then the bullet would have just "danced" out the other side.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Was there any chance that it impacted anything before hitting the buck??

375shooter
10-07-2016, 09:49 PM
On entrance, higher bullet velocity, along with the rapidly changing shape of the bullet as it expands, causes more trauma. On exit, there is much less velocity, and the bullet is already expanded, so the shape is no longer rapidly changing. So less trauma.

Buckmeister
10-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Was there any chance that it impacted anything before hitting the buck??

I don't think so. He had been sitting broadside in the clear until I started to line the scope up, then he started walking. There was two does with him taking the lead and a few small bushes. I found a clear path on the other side of the shrubs that he would step into. Once the does cleared out, he stepped into view, his shoulder crossed my crosshairs and I fired. I think what the others have mentioned about the bullet design makes sense. A shout out to todbartell on recommending this ammo.

gmachine19
10-07-2016, 10:24 PM
Not surprised with the result. Barnes bullets dumps most of its energy at entry then leaves a small exit.

smallfry14
10-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Shot a moose in the rib at ~60 yards with the .243 and the entry looks about the same, no exit though. I think it's just a fast bullet hitting bone= explosion

BRvalley
10-08-2016, 01:06 PM
My experience has been roughly similar with ttsx.....just aim between the ribs next time ;)

Wentrot
10-10-2016, 11:30 AM
Iv had the same thing with ttsx at close range.

finngun
10-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Still way better than reg..lead bullet..no lead to eat in meat..wayy to go...barnes my choice too..

Pioneerman
10-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Bone fragments flying prob did the surface damage and when bullet went out it did not hit bone

6 K
10-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Almost always the entry wound of a monolithic bullet will be bigger than the exit.
Conventional bullets are the opposite
No surprise in your case

marshman,
10-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Its called reflective energy, and is common but doesn't only happen with monos