PDA

View Full Version : Moose and elk info in 7-33

RayHill
10-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Hey guys

im new to moose and elk hunting reading the rags looks a little bit confusing and just needing a little guidance on legal tine and compulsory inspection requirements for this area

In the rags it does not say that compulsory inspection is required in this area for moose or elk so I'm guessing that that is what it is and I will not need to go for this if I bag one of these
species

also for the elk I'm wanting to go from now till October 31 and it shows that three-point bulls are open just wondering if there's a high ratio of these bulls in that area

For the moose it shows that

a) bulls are open and the configurations are having no more than two points on one antler b) having antlers with at least three points on one bro home or c) having at least one antler with a minimum of 10 points including the brow palm

is there any other tine configurations for a moose? If so it makes it confusing if they write it out like this. they should just write out moose bulls are open except for this type of configuration and then you know what to not shoot

thanks for your help

Ray

Mikey Rafiki
10-07-2016, 02:03 PM
The 3 points for elk is a minimum, so yes I would suggest the ratio of 3 points and bigger elk among the bulls would be decent.

Regarding the moose, there are a ton of other configurations that would not be legal. Anything with less than 10 points on each antler including less than 3 points on each brow would not be legal, with the exception of bulls no more than 2 points on one antler.

So:

9 points on each antler including 2 points on each brow would not be legal.
8 points on each antler including 2 points on each brow would not be legal.
9 points on each antler including 1 point on each brow would not be legal.
8 points on each antler including 1 point on each brow would not be legal.
4 points on each antler including 0 points on each brow would not be legal.

and so forth....

RayHill
10-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the help I just had to think about it for a bit and it's pretty self-explanatory just a little rusty because I've only hunted moose Caves and spike fork

Reading the rags over again it's still looks like there's no inspection required for elk or moose in 7-33 just need the antlers and incisor tooth with the species license and looks like I'm good to go

RayHill
10-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Are you sure that it starts at three points and up for the elk? I think the way I take it as it's three points only that are legal to take

Blainer
10-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Are you sure that it starts at three points and up for the elk? I think the way I take it as it's three points only that are legal to takeAt least 3 points on 1 side. Elk is 3 point or better. I have hunted that area lot's, private land is the ticket for deer and elk, obtaining permission is key. Moose are in the bush, hunt the oil leases and look to brow palm first, 3 on the lower and bang / flop. It is extremely hard to count 10 points, requires spotting scope and distance or patient bull, 2 point or spike is given.

Blainer
10-07-2016, 05:38 PM
The 3 points for elk is a minimum, so yes I would suggest the ratio of 3 points and bigger elk among the bulls would be decent.

Regarding the moose, there are a ton of other configurations that would not be legal. Anything with less than 10 points on each antler including less than 3 points on each brow would not be legal, with the exception of bulls no more than 2 points on one antler.

So:

9 points on each antler including 2 points on each brow would not be legal.
9 points on each antler including 1 point on each brow would not be legal.
8 points on each antler including 1 point on each brow would not be legal.
4 points on each antler including 0 points on each brow would not be legal.

and so forth....but the amount of points does not matter if there is 3 points on the brow.
4 points on each antler, but one or both brow palms has 3 points = bang / flop

Sitkaspruce
10-07-2016, 07:16 PM
Go by the 2/3/10 point rule and it becomes easy

- 2 or less on one side - bang
- 3 or more on one brow - bang
- 10 or more one side (brow and palm) - bang
any other combo let walk for another day.

Elk is 3 or more on one side - bang
spike or two - let walk
flat top - bang

Just remember that bull moose are archery only until the 16th in 7-33.

Cheers

SS

RayHill
10-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Great guys thanks for the great info made it real simple.

Iron Sighted
10-09-2016, 08:57 AM
At least 3 points on 1 side. Elk is 3 point or better. I have hunted that area lot's, private land is the ticket for deer and elk, obtaining permission is key. Moose are in the bush, hunt the oil leases and look to brow palm first, 3 on the lower and bang / flop. It is extremely hard to count 10 points, requires spotting scope and distance or patient bull, 2 point or spike is given.

^^^^^So true, I had to let a big bull moose walk about a week and a half ago, got as close as 20 yards but I could only count up to 8 on either side with 2 huge brow tines on each side. I suspect there is a reasonable chance he might've made 10 points but I just couldn't count them all at the time which really sucked because I've still never shot a moose, hopefully I'll connect next week.

RayHill
10-13-2016, 11:57 PM
^^^^^So true, I had to let a big bull moose walk about a week and a half ago, got as close as 20 yards but I could only count up to 8 on either side with 2 huge brow tines on each side. I suspect there is a reasonable chance he might've made 10 points but I just couldn't count them all at the time which really sucked because I've still never shot a moose, hopefully I'll connect next week.

Im in the same boat on my first day out I saw a huge bull moose in my 10 power binos he had a huge palm but I didn't have my spoting scope he was at 450 yards and couldn't be sure tine configuration.

I saw a huge mule deer today he was a 3x3 with heavy main beams and white tail style huge brow tines 6" long widest rack I have ever seen. He was filling his face out of a grain storages 25 yards without a care about me being there.

Lots of whitetail too could have pulled the trigger on a few so far.

I did knock the head off a nice fat grouse today at 60 yards with the 30-06 190gr ha he will make a good breakfast tomorrow morning. So the gun is zeroed in!