PDA

View Full Version : 2-11A access still an issue?

twoSevenO
10-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Got asked to help out on a goat hunt, but the draw is in 2-11A. Last I heard access there was near impossible and required crossing the river. Is this still the case?

Pemby_mess
10-07-2016, 12:11 PM
A road has been pushed through to the Meager valley on the South side of the Lillooet river. That'll probably be an immense help for you getting in there. I believe that you'll still have to cross the Meager which is braided in sections. It'll be a mission - but likely very memorable. If you get lots of rain while you're in there, make sure you stik to high ground and ridges. Best to avoid all the gullies always - very unstable mtn sides

twoSevenO
10-07-2016, 12:30 PM
thanks for the info! Is it a road or more like an ATV trail? Also, do you know if any of the trails still exist on the other side, or have they been wiped out and its a bushwack once you cross the meager?

whitlers
10-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Check out club tread. There is a hiking trail pushed through.

I have the draw on the other side of the river.

twoSevenO
10-07-2016, 01:14 PM
thanks! appreciate the info.

Pemby_mess
10-07-2016, 03:04 PM
thanks for the info! Is it a road or more like an ATV trail? Also, do you know if any of the trails still exist on the other side, or have they been wiped out and its a bushwack once you cross the meager?

Its been a couple years already since I was last there when the trail got built but from memory: 2WD rd basically to the confluence of Meager/Lillooet and then good 4x4 rd up about 4-500M where a new trail contours up and over the South side of the Meager valley to Overseer pk eventually. An other trail branch heads down to Meager Hot Springs over a bridge and the old rd system on the North side of the river.

Depending where you are planning to go in the Meager complex, it might work better to head down to Meager/Lillooet confluence from the end of the 2wd rd and over to the North side of Meager creek more directly. You would then be able to access the old rds at that point as well. The confluence is also surprising braided through deepest part of the new debris flow, so it should be crossable there as much or more as anywhere else. The caveat is, its all very new ground subject to rapid changes and the Meager may have cut a main channel deep into the debris since I was there last.

As per Whitlers, Clubtread should have up to date info on access, and you can also check out the VOC website who built and manage the trail

twoSevenO
10-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Its been a couple years already since I was last there when the trail got built but from memory: 2WD rd basically to the confluence of Meager/Lillooet and then good 4x4 rd up about 4-500M where a new trail contours up and over the South side of the Meager valley to Overseer pk eventually. An other trail branch heads down to Meager Hot Springs over a bridge and the old rd system on the North side of the river.

Depending where you are planning to go in the Meager complex, it might work better to head down to Meager/Lillooet confluence from the end of the 2wd rd and over to the North side of Meager creek more directly. You would then be able to access the old rds at that point as well. The confluence is also surprising braided through deepest part of the new debris flow, so it should be crossable there as much or more as anywhere else. The caveat is, its all very new ground subject to rapid changes and the Meager may have cut a main channel deep into the debris since I was there last.

As per Whitlers, Clubtread should have up to date info on access, and you can also check out the VOC website who built and manage the trail

the VOC trail heads south, as does Overseer. For zone 2-11A we'd have to cross meager and head north. But you're right. Research shows crossing the meager creek not to be too much of a problem, as it is fairly spread out over that huge area. However, the problem still lies in what trails remain on the other side. I don't know which are still good and which have been wiped out.

Pemby_mess
10-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Yeah I realize that. But the VOc trail has a branch that heads North downhill that reconnects you to the North side via the original Meager FSR bridge. What I was getting at, is if you are looking to hunt Pylon or Devestator peaks further into the MU, you'd be best to take the trail in. Otherwise If you're looking to head up Meager, you'd probably want to head across the debris flow at the confluence of the the Lillooet.

The roads past and well above the Capricorn/Meager creek confluence should all be fine for walking on - other than reverting to their natural state.

I'm confident saying that there is no way to get a quad to the North side of Meager Creek if that's what you're looking for. That LEH is notorious for having one of the lowest success rates primarily because of access. Even when the road was in, access to the alpine was still difficult and complex. The Meager Massif is super burly terrain.

Having said that, with limited visitors in there these days, you could probably just cruise the rd looking up at any cliffs you find and have a reasonable chance of seeing goats. Bring a mtn bike, camp at the hot springs. You could always fly into the apline from Pemberton as well.

twoSevenO
10-07-2016, 07:37 PM
Yeah I realize that. But the VOc trail has a branch that heads North downhill that reconnects you to the North side via the original Meager FSR bridge. What I was getting at, is if you are looking to hunt Pylon or Devestator peaks further into the MU, you'd be best to take the trail in. Otherwise If you're looking to head up Meager, you'd probably want to head across the debris flow at the confluence of the the Lillooet.

The roads past and well above the Capricorn/Meager creek confluence should all be fine for walking on - other than reverting to their natural state.

I'm confident saying that there is no way to get a quad to the North side of Meager Creek if that's what you're looking for. That LEH is notorious for having one of the lowest success rates primarily because of access. Even when the road was in, access to the alpine was still difficult and complex. The Meager Massif is super burly terrain.

Having said that, with limited visitors in there these days, you could probably just cruise the rd looking up at any cliffs you find and have a reasonable chance of seeing goats. Bring a mtn bike, camp at the hot springs. You could always fly into the apline from Pemberton as well.

Got what you meant now. Yes, that is an option because the trail to the hot springs is still there. But like you pointed out earlier crossing meager that far up could be way harder. Thanks!

Whonnock Boy
10-08-2016, 07:57 AM
You're nuts even thinking about hunting there. :lol:

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/scientists-investigate-discovery-of-fumaroles-atop-mount-meager-a-dormant-volcano-near-pemberton