PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

mulieaddiction
10-05-2016, 10:35 PM
Hey guys so i did some hiking into sub alpine and i came across a home made tree stand its in mulie country i havnt hunted there befotr but when i found the tree stand im thinking would you guys start hunting that area and using the tree stand or would you try a diffrent area?

Big Lew
10-05-2016, 11:06 PM
If there was no one in the stand and I wished to hunt that area I would, but I
wouldn't use their stand. I have been in your situation several times, finding
both old and relatively new stands without someone in them....unless it's on
private property, no one, including yours truly, has any more rights to an area
then anyone else.

mulieaddiction
10-05-2016, 11:48 PM
I was scoutinf the area so i dont know if its a good spot but becuase there is home made tree stand im thinking its a good spot to learn?

DMA1983
10-06-2016, 02:33 AM
If you scouted and planned to hunt there early on I would use it if the guy wasn't in it. If not I would check out his stand location, and learn any thing I can about stands and leave the area

Wentrot
10-06-2016, 05:20 AM
I'd bugger off elsewhere.

Ry151
10-06-2016, 07:50 AM
Id still hunt the area but not use the stand

tomahawk
10-06-2016, 08:16 AM
If you choose to use the stand, be careful of its construction and safeness. Some are very shoddy and unsafe. If no one is using it and its on crown land its your choice, if the hunter comes along vacate with thanks.

rocksteady
10-06-2016, 08:31 AM
I would move on and find my own honey hole..

Just because there is a tree stand, does not mean it is good hunting... Could be somebody with less experience than you sitting in it and seeing nothing for the whole season..

Spy
10-06-2016, 08:32 AM
I would not use someone else's stand, but thats me, that said there are no laws that say you can't use it.

adriaticum
10-06-2016, 09:01 AM
When I build a blind I expect that someone else might use it and I'm ok with that.
I don't expect that they trash it and destroy it.
But it was built to be used, so use it.
I don't pee on it to mark my territory.

knighthunter
10-06-2016, 09:11 AM
If you choose to use the stand, be careful of its construction and safeness. Some are very shoddy and unsafe. If no one is using it and its on crown land its your choice, if the hunter comes along vacate with thanks.
Pretty much sums it up for me too.

markathome
10-06-2016, 09:17 AM
I'm guessing you're a new hunter - so this is a good sign. If you've found a spot where another hunter has deemed productive enough to put the energy in to build a stand. So you know there are deer in the area (or were;}). I'd use that area as a ground zero and move out and about from there and find my own spot that will likely produce.

Personally I'd prefer not to sit in someone's else's stand (or any stand really - unless it's whitetail and even then I usually set up on travel corridors with good cover but not a tree stand).

mulieaddiction
10-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info guys i am planning to learn that area and see what happenss

Keta1969
10-06-2016, 08:52 PM
When I build a blind I expect that someone else might use it and I'm ok with that.
I don't expect that they trash it and destroy it.
But it was built to be used, so use it.
I don't pee on it to mark my territory.

Having built stands and blinds on public land that's how I look at it. Hell I could be on a holiday or at work for a couple of weeks, hunt away and use it if you want. There are enough areas closed off as is, to not hunt an area because of a stand or trailcam etc. is absurd. The key words are public and private.

TheProvider
10-07-2016, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't use the stand and I would stay clear of the area. Reason? The hunter who built the stand may only use that spot once a year. But you don't want to make plans be all excited for that spot then walk in early one morning only to find the hunter up in the stand. Then your left last minute with no spot. Move a few km's one way and get scouting.

Might just be me but I don't even like to see old boot tracks in my spots. The less chance of bumping into someone while hunting the better.

Weatherby Fan
10-07-2016, 09:15 AM
If no ones there since its on crown land its yours to use, if the person that built it didn't want anyone using it he should have taken it down....pretty simple really, I always say first up is best dressed !!!

By the way that tree stand has been there for a few years now and I've never seen anyone in it !

skibum
10-07-2016, 09:21 AM
I would hunt the area for sure -- you don't know if / when the dude is going to be around.

Question - does that tree stand give this person first rights to the area to hunt - say you set up near it in the morning and he/she rolls up after you? Would you be pissed if you build the tree stand and someone is parked at the base of a tree nearby?