PDA

View Full Version : hunting specific pack vs hiking pack

twoSevenO
10-05-2016, 06:56 PM
I need a new pack for next year alpine mule and goat hunting. No 10 day sheep hunts for me and i don't see myself chasing them any time soon either. Other than camo fabrics, what else am i getting by going with a hunting specific pack like mystery ranch or badlands compared to a hiking one such as Osprey?

Sure the hunting ones seem maybe a little better made to handle years of abuse, but they're also quite a bit heavier. The Osprey 88 comes in at under 6lb! I figure high mountain hunts would be 3 trips max per year for me so not worried about the pack "wearing out" per-se.

i'm looking at an Osprey Xenith 88L pack. (The size L is actually a 92L). Currently have been using an Osprey Aether for backpacking for the last 10 years and been very happy with it. But that was before i started carrying hunting gear on backpack trips. Now its too small.

Any reason i shouldn't go with an Osprey Xenith 88 as my new hunting pack?

(They also make a Xenith 105, but that seems a little excessive for deer/goat hunts for 3-4 days, no?)

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-05-2016, 07:13 PM
I Have a Arcteryx Bora 80 .. But recently i found a Bora 40 . my new day pack.. i highly recommend you get one if you can find it . im on the look out for a 95 .. The waist belt is like no other . the shoulder harness is the best in the world .

Timberjack
10-05-2016, 07:17 PM
hey - I use an arcteryx bora 80 for my 3-4 day deer and goat hunts. Works perfect, but I pack very light, and when coming out full it's about maxed out volume-wise. It's held any load I can handle say up to 100lbs for longer trips out, so it works well for me. I did take it on a couple of 10 day sheep hunts and it took a fair bit of strategizing to fit everything in. Materials and the pack itself has held up perfectly. no reason the osprey should be any different. I actually stuffed 2 elk front quarters plus the backstraps in one load - probably pushing 130 lbs, but it was only for a few hundred meters back down to the river - certainly not ideal but they fit!

Good luck.

TJ

markathome
10-05-2016, 09:10 PM
I use a Serratus 5000cu pack for day hunts and multi day hunts - works well (little squeak in the harness). It's comfortable, compressible, holds big loads and the price was right. I've packed up hill 80+lbs (ropes, rack, food) into the Bugaboos with it and packed out down hill with a 100+ black bear (less than 7k) with it... sucked. But I think once you pass 100lbs it's all suck all the time.

twoSevenO
10-05-2016, 09:14 PM
But I think once you pass 100lbs it's all suck all the time.

well put. A more expensive pack might make it slightly more comfortable .... it ain't gonna make it lighter. 100lbs is 100lbs. Well, the snows are gonna hit hte alpine hard pretty soon here so there's almost a year left to train and get those LEH tags :)

whitlers
10-05-2016, 10:32 PM
I use a Serratus 5000cu pack for day hunts and multi day hunts - works well (little squeak in the harness). It's comfortable, compressible, holds big loads and the price was right. I've packed up hill 80+lbs (ropes, rack, food) into the Bugaboos with it and packed out down hill with a 100+ black bear (less than 7k) with it... sucked. But I think once you pass 100lbs it's all suck all the time.

I too use the serratus. Great product for the dollar value. Well made pack. I only got it this season and I have used it on an alpine overnighter at 55lbs and then again on another trip packing out part of my buck at around 80 lbs. No problems. Supper comfy and light out of the box empty. I think close to 5 lbs

whitlers
10-05-2016, 10:37 PM
I too use the serratus. Great product for the dollar value. Well made pack. I only got it this season and I have used it on an alpine overnighter at 55lbs and then again on another trip packing out part of my buck at around 80 lbs. No problems. Supper comfy and light out of the box empty. I think close to 5 lbs

That's a lie. It's 6 lbs haha just looked it up

JasonH
10-05-2016, 10:58 PM
I'm with an Arcteryx Bora 80 too, have yet to do a mountain hunt though, but have packed out game with it... The old ones are built tough and their warranty is even better. Just noticed my shoulder straps split at the seams, sent an e-mail off and they had shoulder straps at my door the next day, no cost at all.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-06-2016, 11:25 AM
I have the older one and its sweet.. i see them for sale all the time on Kijjii or MEC gear swap .

todbartell
10-06-2016, 11:41 AM
I'd look at a pack with an overload shelf that puts the meat between the frame and your bag. Cleaner, and keeps weight closer to your center of gravity

twoSevenO
10-06-2016, 12:28 PM
I'd look at a pack with an overload shelf that puts the meat between the frame and your bag. Cleaner, and keeps weight closer to your center of gravity

Such packs (Badlands OX) are damn heavy though. Like 10lb or more for the pack alone! To me that seems a little excessive

AgSilver
10-06-2016, 12:55 PM
Something like the Kuiu Icon Pro 7200 (118 litres - which you can also get in solid if you don't want camo for the whole year) is under 6 lbs or the 5200 (85 litres) is marginally lighter for the full kit and you can use it to carry meat between the frame and the bag itself.

Linksman313
10-06-2016, 01:25 PM
Such packs (Badlands OX) are damn heavy though. Like 10lb or more for the pack alone! To me that seems a little excessive
Badlands all the way, the ruggedness and longevity cannot be matched (been on every hunt with me in 4 years), but I agree they are heavier on average. The longevity and exceptional warranty coverage is what rings the bell for me. I have an older Osprey 7700 heavily modified to carry meat but can never seem to get it to sit right while packing out.

todbartell
10-06-2016, 01:33 PM

Mystery Ranch Metcalf is 6lbs, Exo Mtn Gear 3500 is 4lbs 14oz

boonerbucks
10-06-2016, 03:34 PM
http://www.stoneglacier.com/hunting-packs/sky-7400

This is my personal favourite pack, the compression on it is amazing I use it for everything from day hunts to extended trips, comfy and packs like a dream

twoSevenO
10-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill check out some of those sub 7lb choices as alternatives and see if they might be a better fit. No one around here in the lower mainland carries these type of items. Seems LM hunters are not much into the backcountry.

Couldnt even find a pair of Lowa boots here until i went up to Kelowna.

twoSevenO
10-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Also, how do these packs work for packing deboned deer meat? I mean it seems easy to strap one big quarter from an elk onto it but a deboned deer or goat is gonna be in many smaller pieces and im curious how you strap that to the meat shelf part of the pack ... if it would even be possible?

Timberjack
10-06-2016, 07:37 PM
I'm with an Arcteryx Bora 80 too, have yet to do a mountain hunt though, but have packed out game with it... The old ones are built tough and their warranty is even better. Just noticed my shoulder straps split at the seams, sent an e-mail off and they had shoulder straps at my door the next day, no cost at all.

Funny - mine did the same but a bit of thread it stitched up nicely. Good to know though re the warranty..

TJ

whitlers
10-06-2016, 08:05 PM
Also, how do these packs work for packing deboned deer meat? I mean it seems easy to strap one big quarter from an elk onto it but a deboned deer or goat is gonna be in many smaller pieces and im curious how you strap that to the meat shelf part of the pack ... if it would even be possible?

Game bag and nylon straps.

The Kuiu and Stone Glacier are very good packs but darn expensive.

AgSilver
10-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ill check out some of those sub 7lb choices as alternatives and see if they might be a better fit. No one around here in the lower mainland carries these type of items. Seems LM hunters are not much into the backcountry.

Couldnt even find a pair of Lowa boots here until i went up to Kelowna.

If you want to check out my Kuiu IP 5200, I'm in Coquitlam. Give you an idea of what's out there.

And I echo whitlers...game bags.

twoSevenO
10-06-2016, 08:22 PM
speaking of game bags, what are you guys using on the backcountry hunts? The standard mesh gamebags have this problem where the mesh can stretch out enough to enlarge the holes enough for flies to just get in as they please. So, i bought some pillow cases to use instead that i konw others use as well. However, the pillow cases turned out to be heavier than i thought.

Are you guys using pillow cases or standard mesh bags? How many of each do you pack for deer/goat hunts? Thanks guys .... just getting into this backcountry hunting ;)

whitlers
10-06-2016, 10:33 PM
I just use the cheapo remington bags. Their elk bags are thicker and stronger than the others. I bring 4 with me for each quarter. Plus you can wash and re use.

SR80
10-07-2016, 07:02 AM
Check out tag bomb bags for meat. They are a synthetic bag, which doesnt stretch. Breathes well, and is washable. They are like a flat tube, so when you load it full of meat, it stays tall and flat like a sand bag. Makes it much better for packing out as it doesnt sink to the bottom of your back like a big heavy ball. Keeps the weight of the meat against your back and upright.

My stone glacier talus is my fav pack yet, yes ive said that before about other packs, lol. I used it for big trips and day trips. Its light enough and compacts up small and neat, you'd never know your packing around a 6900ci pack. Hunting specific packs are tailored to hunters, load shelves, pockets for optics etc..and you are supporting a hunting company. Not some anti hunter granola cruncher brand.

6900ci pack in day pack mode 5.05lbs

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/scottreidy/20161002_113514_zpsyxmeim5d.jpg (http://s996.photobucket.com/user/scottreidy/media/20161002_113514_zpsyxmeim5d.jpg.html)

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
10-07-2016, 12:13 PM
I hear good things about Stone Glacier .. The debate goes on .

Pinewood
10-07-2016, 08:22 PM
You can look at my EXO 5500 in Maple Ridge if you want. I packed a Moose rear quarter out in it last week. Holds weight really well.