PDA

View Full Version : Tulameen this weekend!

juice
10-05-2016, 12:28 PM
Any good spots you guys would recommend :) Mostly hunting for deer and bear but wouldn't mind a little grouse action thrown in either! I'll be taking the Tulameen fsr up off the Coq. Heard mostly good things about the area so I'm pretty excited to try it out.:-D Thanks!

Steeleco
10-05-2016, 12:33 PM
I'll be there this weekend, I tell you where the deer fell on Monday LOL Look for a 07 F150 and say hi

Grumpa Joe
10-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Clearwater. :mrgreen:

Husky7mm
10-05-2016, 01:49 PM
I see from google earth there are some fsr's and cut blocks, some natural opening and such, might be a good place to try. Grouse can be anywhere, they like to eat small rocks off the fsr in the evening to aid in digestion. Ruffies taste better than spruce but if you batter and deep fry you barley notice the difference. Deer and bear are where you find them. You have to hunt for them. Much can be learned from following a track. Success comes from times and effort, luck also helps. Fill up ur tanks and lace up ur boots. Happy hunting.

Iron Glove
10-05-2016, 01:59 PM
It'll be pretty busy there all weekend, seems like everyone from Langley ( sorry, Steelco ;) ) heads up there for Thanksgiving. Be prepared to run into a lot of hunters cruising the FSR's.
Haven't decided where Son and I will be, trying to decide between the hills above Tulameen or South of Princeton.
Last Thanksgiving neighbours were quite successful around Coalmont bagging 2 deer and other neighbours basically walked across the river behind us and cut their deer tags. Son - In - Law and I collectively cut one rabbit tag. :sad:
This year lots of grouse around, keep your eyes peeled while on the FSR's.
Lots of bears around, friggin' things are walking through town all the time.
I'm in an electric blue 2013 F-150 with a BCWF decal on the back window.

Steeleco
10-05-2016, 02:31 PM
It'll be pretty busy there all weekend, seems like everyone from Langley ( sorry, Steelco ;) ) heads up there for Thanksgiving. Be prepared to run into a lot of hunters cruising the FSR's.
Haven't decided where Son and I will be, trying to decide between the hills above Tulameen or South of Princeton.
Last Thanksgiving neighbours were quite successful around Coalmont bagging 2 deer and other neighbours basically walked across the river behind us and cut their deer tags. Son - In - Law and I collectively cut one rabbit tag. :sad:
This year lots of grouse around, keep your eyes peeled while on the FSR's.
Lots of bears around, friggin' things are walking through town all the time.
I'm in an electric blue 2013 F-150 with a BCWF decal on the back window.

Bears, did someone say bears. The last one I saw is dead LOL I think they're all gone to fine home's in Langley LOL

Leaseman
10-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Bears, did someone say bears. The last one I saw is dead LOL I think they're all gone to fine home's in Langley LOL

Go a little farther in....there are lots still floating around!!;)

Salty
10-05-2016, 02:49 PM
I was through that area this past weekend I met a buddy from the Okanagan near Tulameen and we checked out the area a bit. Shout out to Iron Glove for giving me up to date route advice we took the route you're talking about but backwards. Nice country, good roads and close to the LML. Do the math! lmao, yeah there was quite a few hunters in the area and this weekend will be even busier no doubt but its a fairly big area through a few different valleys you should be able to find a spot off the beaten path and have an enjoyable hunt. Didn't see any grouse oddly and one mule deer doe. Down town Tulameen. lol

604Stalker
10-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Anywhere there isent a side by side parked. Good luck there are quad trails inside the main roads and alot of people get away from those. Pretty good for grouse and rabbits

Iron Glove
10-05-2016, 03:04 PM
I was through that area this past weekend I met a buddy from the Okanagan near Tulameen and we checked out the area a bit. Shout out to Iron Glove for giving me up to date route advice we took the route you're talking about but backwards. Nice country, good roads and close to the LML. Do the math! lmao, yeah there was quite a few hunters in the area and this weekend will be even busier no doubt but its a fairly big area through a few different valleys you should be able to find a spot off the beaten path and have an enjoyable hunt. Didn't see any grouse oddly and one mule deer doe. Down town Tulameen. lol

Happy you enjoyed the trip.
Two weeks ago my male Toller retrieved his first grouse, maybe 200 metres from the cabin, he was pretty proud of it.
Trouble was the grouse looked like it had died weeks before. :grin:
Methinks a neighbour might have bagged it awhile ago and tossed the carcass there.

walks with deer
10-05-2016, 03:09 PM
We took one last year in tulameen we probably saw 150 people on quads hunters and not and still shot it off a main fsr.over 30 quads drove buy while we loaded up...

Salty
10-05-2016, 03:24 PM
Happy you enjoyed the trip.
Two weeks ago my male Toller retrieved his first grouse, maybe 200 metres from the cabin, he was pretty proud of it.
Trouble was the grouse looked like it had died weeks before. :grin:
Methinks a neighbour might have bagged it awhile ago and tossed the carcass there.

What's a little rigor mortis got to do with it he found the chicken! lol
My buddy's got a Toller she's about 12 now doing really well. They've got the hunting genes going on all right. She was raised in suburbia with no hunting training at all, the first time we stopped and shot a grouse at the crack of the .22 she launched herself from the back seat of my then 4runner and out through the driver's window in one bound :lol:

604Stalker
10-05-2016, 04:58 PM
They are there don't get discouraged I have done alot of hiking and driving there and seen alot of deer just havent bumped a legal buck yet.

AgSilver
10-05-2016, 07:05 PM
I spent some time off one of the FSRs up there on Monday. Hiked a LOT but was clearly in the wrong area. I literally saw only cow tracks, cow scat, etc everywhere I went. I know it's a big area but I gave up after checking over a lot of ground screwed off to another area entirely and spent a day in there too. Also a bust.

I think I'm not very good at this just yet! But it was fun.

hoochie
10-05-2016, 08:55 PM
the area above Murphy lakes.. look on google earth. Up in that top cut I have always seen Mulies. Seen moose every time Ive been in there, and grouse... holy moly.. lots of grouse in there every time.

Leaseman
10-06-2016, 06:28 AM
the area above Murphy lakes.. look on google earth. Up in that top cut I have always seen Mulies. Seen moose every time Ive been in there, and grouse... holy moly.. lots of grouse in there every time.

Also in the old burn beyond there......growing in nicely...great for still hunting!!:smile:

Lots of hauling during the week....good thing the solver and ore mines aren't running of you would never survive on the roads!!:frown:

Grouse are spotty....where I go, I see more deer than grouse.....

Been hinting that area since '81!

Blainer
10-07-2016, 09:57 AM
I'll be there this weekend, I tell you where the deer fell on Monday LOL Look for a 07 F150 and say hi

You passed me on opening weekend, we waved but I recognized later after we passed. Neighbors took a nice 6 pt. Elk. We seen a few bucks. No 4's.
I knocked a buck over on Wed this week.

Iron Glove
10-07-2016, 10:52 AM
Nothing to see up here this weekend.;-)
It's raining, cold, miserable better to stay at home and watch baseball. :mrgreen:
Just chatted to a neighbour who chatted with a friend hunting around Princeton, saw hundreds of hunters, no deer.

604Stalker
10-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Yeah glove their all gone better check next any buck :D

Salty
10-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Coming soon- this Thanksgiving weekend only! junction of the Lawless and Tulameen roads: Salty's Hot Dog Stand!

regular dogs - $8
1/4 pound dogs $12
soda- $4
deer scent- $27
deer calls- $inquire
advice- $50

I'm gonna be stinkin rich! :p

Blainer
10-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Long weekends suck for hunting, but it's about the adventure. Get off the roads some and glass hard. Good luck

adriaticum
10-07-2016, 11:33 AM
It's going to be one wet weekend.

itsy bitsy xj
10-07-2016, 11:49 AM
I'd be giving this weekend a pass. My thoughts are it will be packed with people.

MichelD
10-07-2016, 11:58 AM
I'll tell you one thing:

Don't look way high.

They must be lower down.

I just came back from hike-climb-hunting the high alpine above the Coqihalla Highway and except for one doe and evidence of a very incontinent bear, there was hardly any sign up there.

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t404/micheljdrouin/CoqHunt%20033_zpscctycovb.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/micheljdrouin/media/CoqHunt%20033_zpscctycovb.jpg.html)

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t404/micheljdrouin/CoqHunt%20038_zpsckwmwpae.jpg (http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/micheljdrouin/media/CoqHunt%20038_zpsckwmwpae.jpg.html)

Iron Glove
10-07-2016, 12:07 PM
Coming soon- this Thanksgiving weekend only! junction of the Lawless and Tulameen roads: Salty's Hot Dog Stand!

regular dogs - $8
1/4 pound dogs $12
soda- $4
deer scent- $27
deer calls- $inquire
advice- $50

Hmm, now that's a thought for next year - a food truck on Lawless.
I hear the CO's have already set up a road block at the junction and are only letting one truck by every 15 minutes to space the hunters out a bit. :wink:
I've seen more deer this year on the Rotary Trail in Hope. :mrgreen:
Heading off to the range in aa few minutes to make sure the old 30-06 hasn't died of boredom.

Steeleco
10-07-2016, 12:39 PM

regular dogs - $8
1/4 pound dogs $12
soda- $4
deer scent- $27
deer calls- $inquire
advice- $50

Members with HBC hats get a discount?

Steeleco
10-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Long weekends suck for hunting, but it's about the adventure. Get off the roads some and glass hard. Good luck

Yeah, we know a few trails that can't be driven by anything.

adriaticum
10-07-2016, 12:41 PM
I'll tell you one thing:

Don't look way high.

They must be lower down.

I just came back from hike-climb-hunting the high alpine above the Coqihalla Highway and except for one doe and evidence of a very incontinent bear, there was hardly any sign up there.

Well where I'm going there is nothing low, it's all kind of high. Even where it's low, it's high.
But not too high.
:mrgreen:

Salty
10-07-2016, 01:39 PM

You bet bro 20% off. Bring your HBC hat, stickers or other paraphernalia :)

itsy bitsy xj
10-07-2016, 01:46 PM

Where do I get one of these hats you speak of?

Steeleco
10-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Where do I get one of these hats you speak of?

Contact Marc the sites owner, but it's been some time since he did run

Iron Glove
10-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Was out early this AM, only thing we saw were 2 grouse and lots of mud.
Neighbour just pulled up across the dirt track with a spiker in the truck.
It's friggin' miserable out there today.

Rayne
10-08-2016, 07:29 PM
I cracked a spike up there with the kids this afternoon. Pretty damn stinky though for this early

buckhunter76
10-08-2016, 10:44 PM
Was up near tulameen for 5 days just got back, took my buddy I just got into hunting, he shot a 2 point I got a 3, id suggest hitting the mature timber, theirs some good areas in their that are juvenile spaced and not laced with blow downs, bed bump them in the after noon and finding good southern exposure cut blocks and sitting on them in the morning and a few hours before dark, they love slinking through the fringes of them, we saw 6 bull moose 1 decent bear, 1 butter ball, 40 plus deer a day between the two of us and 13 bucks in that time, mostly 2 points and 3's no 4's, lost of people out but get off the roads and go where no people are. We were dragging our deer 5km back to camp cause I didn't bring a pack frame �� Just get out their and have fun and you'll get one !!!