PDA

View Full Version : Mile High MU 3-19

lakelander
10-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Spent a few days hunting around Mile High. Saw tons of does all over but not a single buck. Hunted hard in the bush but nada. Lots of grouse and rabbits though. I always bag a buck on this region but what the heck is going on. Bumped into a few hunters at the gas station and told me the same thing. We hunted low and high around the lookout at 5,000 feet. Very surprised at not a single sighting. Anyone else hunted there?

blacklab
10-05-2016, 11:59 AM
We get a lot of pressure during the youth season (not complaining) tends to reduce the little bucks that come easy early in the season.
Next week the White Tail doe season will increase the pressure to the point of ridiculous. I would be willing to bet there are more small Mule deer bucks shot than there are White Tail does.

mulieaddiction
10-05-2016, 12:38 PM
I was in region 8 i saw to many does to count but not 1 buck!

palmer
10-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Still early for mulies ...here its around Oct 20 they start looking for does and it just gets better and better

twoSevenO
10-05-2016, 01:15 PM
I just got back from mile high. Stayed from Sept 28 to Oct 4. I think i will not go back in october. Only November. I went up because i'm on vacation and its "easy" hunting there in the sense that the terrain isn't terribly steep or demanding, and because a buddy of mine was staying up there for the week. But come Oct 1st it sounded like downtown Baghdad out there. Holy moly....

The area was full of weekend warriors shooting like crazy at little spiker bucks. They didn't stand a chance. I saw about 5 bucks myself, but all too small for my taste. If i'm gonna shoot something in reg 3 where you're only allowed 1, i want it to be something i can put on my wall. Only got up before first light on one of the days so can't say i hunted hard. Like i said, vacation :)

Saw way less of them come oct1. Some died, some went into hiding and only came out well after dark.

The problem with that area is the amount of hunting pressure and the number of people who blast away the little spikers and 2 points. How the hell can the area have a healthy population of 4 points, if you keep shooting them all while they're 2 points?

I've been up there in November and it is nice. The animals are way more active during the day and the hunting pressure is WAY WAY lower. F*$% October.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Word from many of the long-time region 3 residents is that buck to doe ratios are in the tank. Of course, there are a ton of mulies around, which means there are still lots of small bucks around, but relative to overall population numbers, the bucks are in short supply.

While it is true that bucks will be more inclined to be out and around come the pre-rut (late Oct), the cut-off for what I consider to be a good eating animal is before that. Another consideration about waiting that long is that you will have had 3 weeks of culling young bucks by then, so although the buck behaviour helps hunting, it is likely offset by the reduced availability, especially in areas closer to town.

hoochie
10-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Spent a few days hunting around Mile High. Saw tons of does all over but not a single buck. Hunted hard in the bush but nada. Lots of grouse and rabbits though. I always bag a buck on this region but what the heck is going on. Bumped into a few hunters at the gas station and told me the same thing.

I had a similar question about the WT. People blamed it on cows.
I hunt for the meat, not the trophy. I took a Mule buck this year as I dont have any meat in the freezer. In some peoples eyes this makes me less of a hunter.

last light
10-05-2016, 06:52 PM
I hunt for the meat, not the trophy. I took a Mule buck this year as I dont have any meat in the freezer. In some peoples eyes this makes me less of a hunter.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about it. There is always the better than everyone else crowd. Personally I think there is too much emphasis put on "trophy" animals, both from "hunting shows" and the "elite". If you are hunting legally and want to shoot any size buck in the correct season then so be it.

I saw your post/pic on the other thread and thought right on! I.M.O. that's the best meat going. Myself and I'm sure a LOT of other hunters would be happy with that buck you got. Congrats by the way!

tuner
10-05-2016, 07:04 PM
I hunt for the meat, not the trophy. I took a Mule buck this year as I dont have any meat in the freezer. In some peoples eyes this makes me less of a hunter.
You have nothing to apologize for, a small buck makes better table fare than a large set of antlers.

swampdonkey
10-05-2016, 07:50 PM
There are animals in the area. But not like it used to be. The area gets hit pretty good in the summer with certain people hunting it. I've seen it but nothing we can do about it .

twoSevenO
10-05-2016, 09:11 PM

my comment was more of a rant about some of the hunters i ran into up there who had a little 2 point in the back of their truck while complaining that there were no 4 points in the area and they had to settle for him. If they want more 4 points the first step would be to stop shooting them when they're 2 points.

Steelpulse
10-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Great are in the past for us, deer moose bear. Lots of bigger bucks too, wait until nov

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2016, 09:18 PM
All areas have been hunted for over a month. Just because people aren't seeing bigger bucks now doesn't mean they 'aren't' there.....or at least 'weren't' there.

Hunt early...or hunt late. Avoid crowds. Pretty simple.

twoSevenO
10-05-2016, 09:56 PM
All areas have been hunted for over a month. Just because people aren't seeing bigger bucks now doesn't mean they 'aren't' there.....or at least 'weren't' there.

Hunt early...or hunt late. Avoid crowds. Pretty simple.

It's simple if you're a seasoned veteran like yourself and have the game figured out. 3-19 between mile high and tunkwa is hunted pretty hard come Oct 1st and is also very easily accessible everywhere by truck and quad. I was up there Sept 28 to Oct 4 and I was seeing way less bucks come Oct 1 once all the shooting started. While I was up there more for vacation and didn't do much hiking and didn't get up at first light i did do a lot of glassing and did stay out till last light every night. The bigger bucks were all waiting till well past shooting light to come out.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Don't have it all figured out. I just know that deer respond to pressure. I have friends that think the opposite of what I do. They complain that the any buck seasons have devasted our deer populations. They complain that they can't find a big buck because all the small bucks are getting creamed.
I scout before the season starts and see bigger bucks that weren't yearlings the previous year.
But once the shooting begins things change. Bigger bucks adapt.

bigbadjoel
10-05-2016, 10:30 PM
My dad and I were in 3-19 for the opener and both bagged nice 2 pointers to fill the freezer. As someone said above, I hunt the meat not the horns. The growing family was sure happy to see us roll home with the meat!

northof49
10-05-2016, 11:09 PM
I put in a few days in 3-19 in 2014 and let a nice 170 walk. Played out nicely, but he had good genetics and as he was hot on a few ladies I left him be....should be a dandy this year if he is still around. For me more about the bone than the meat with Mulies.....elk/moose supply the meat. Nice to let him walk and fealt good knowing there would be some good genes passed on......lucky he caught me at a moment of weakness.:biggrin:

twoSevenO
10-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Don't have it all figured out. I just know that deer respond to pressure. I have friends that think the opposite of what I do. They complain that the any buck seasons have devasted our deer populations. They complain that they can't find a big buck because all the small bucks are getting creamed.
I scout before the season starts and see bigger bucks that weren't yearlings the previous year.

^^^ that, plus the fact you just bagged a nice 160 class buck a month ago equals proof of you having it figured out.

skibum
10-06-2016, 01:14 PM

Someone mentioned this before, and I have now witnessed it over the last couple seasons --- how dear adapt to wolves

They don't leave the tree line and you have to be glassing hard to see the deer poke their heads out of the trees.

Yes wolves impact numbers, but not seeing a big buck or many deer at all walk through a big open cut block is just them adapting

BigfishCanada
10-06-2016, 01:52 PM
Man i havent seen so low amout of bucks in region 3 as i have this year...... im speechless, but that being said i havent seen so many hunters in region 3 as i did this year also, hunters at every corner

Stone Sheep Steve
10-06-2016, 02:56 PM
^^^ that, plus the fact you just bagged a nice 160 class buck a month ago equals proof of you having it figured out.

I came very close to not getting that buck. Lady Luck was definitely on my side.

While out pre season scouting, Ive seen good bucks that were barely spooked and have never been able
to find them again. Make one mistake and they change their postal codes.

SSS

kamloopshunter25
10-06-2016, 03:06 PM
the amount of hunters in region 3 this year compared to years past is definitely higher, that being said there has only been a few times that i have not seen a buck and have had a really hard time passing up on a few because i'm looking for that 180'. The amount of pressure works in my favour as it pushes deer into my spots, put the boots to the ground and you'll find your buck

twoSevenO
10-06-2016, 03:36 PM
While i already admitted that i treated my week in 3-19 like more of a vacation i did attempt some hikes.

Man, the amount of new growth with branches hanging to the ground and the amount of blow down is unbelievable. Most of the places you couldnt hike through at all and when you could you ended up in bush so thick you couldnt see more than 30 yards around you. I hated it.

skibum
10-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Why the higher number of hunters in region three this year?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-06-2016, 03:53 PM

I think the opening dates may have had something to do with that.
Sept 10 was a Saturday and so was Oct 1.

The upcoming long weekend will also be busy but the opening of the antlerless whitetail season doesn't open until
the Monday.

bigbadjoel
10-06-2016, 05:08 PM
A lot of hunters I know Now head to Region 3 for the any buck opener because mulies are now 4 point only in region 4 and most of 8 where they used to hunt.

blacklab
10-06-2016, 08:51 PM

Unlike the Bio in Kamloops a lot of people have figured out they built a new highway a few years ago.
You can now be hunting region 3 in under 3 hours from the lower mainland.
Region 3 has longer season, bigger bag limits and more opportunity than anywhere else in the province.

Bugle M In
10-06-2016, 09:31 PM
the biggest difference with reg 3 is come November 10-20th.
when Reg 5 is shut down.....what a gong show it is now during that time.
hope that changes soon, so that hunters can spread out again.

tinbird
10-07-2016, 05:00 AM
Is it possible the bucks are now identifying as does, it is 2016 after all.

SR80
10-07-2016, 06:53 AM
they claim all the big region 3 bucks, ever ones from clearwater at migrated to 3-19, and tunkwa lake area.

tipper
10-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Unlike the Bio in Kamloops a lot of people have figured out they built a new highway a few years ago.
You can now be hunting region 3 in under 3 hours from the lower mainland.
Region 3 has longer season, bigger bag limits and more opportunity than anywhere else in the province.

That and everyone blabbing on the internet these days about where to go etc. Same thing with all the small lakes that used to be good that only the locals would fish now everyone you talk to is from the coast.

skibum
10-07-2016, 09:04 AM
I do have to admit that I have adapted as well - I hit opening day for any buck reasonably close to the Mile High area six or five years ago - I could not believe number of hunters that were around - and the number of gun shots going off that morning. It was crazy watching frightened does getting all panicky. Lots of deer around - we did not connect with a buck.

Now I have a little more experience under the hat, leave these obvious places to hunt for the masses and find quieter areas as it is 30 minutes out the door to scout in the summer.

Tunkwa or Mile High are not located in some secrete forest - If I lived on the coast these would be great places to hunt out of.

But I don't have enough hunting history to judge if there has been a substantial increase in hunter numbers in region three

blacklab
10-07-2016, 11:33 AM
The situation here is long past a joke. We are seeing a lot more does without fawns. I haven't seen a white tail doe or buck since last fall.
We don't see the little bucks in the early season we used to.
If you want to see a buck around Tunkwa, Logan Lake you better drive around town.
Kamloops is still managing deer like the did in the 70s.

twoSevenO
10-07-2016, 11:45 AM
The situation here is long past a joke. We are seeing a lot more does without fawns. I haven't seen a white tail doe or buck since last fall.
We don't see the little bucks in the early season we used to.
If you want to see a buck around Tunkwa, Logan Lake you better drive around town.
Kamloops is still managing deer like the did in the 70s.

I was just up there and saw a bunch of bucks. little ones, but bucks nonetheless. As mentioned before, just because you aren't seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there.

The entire tunkwa/paska region of 3-19 is some miserable country to hike in, unless you're in the cut blocks. I've followed numerous well used trails out of the cut blocks into the timber only to be met with thick, low vis bush and tons of blow down. They hide where you can't hike into .... and come out well after last shooting light. Bigger ones are there, but hunting them ain't easy .... until November at least. They are way more active during the day then.

Steelpulse
10-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Ya never had a problem lots of game in the area, just need to hunt harder haha

lakelander
10-08-2016, 09:01 PM
Gonna try one more time in late Oct. If it's riddled with hunters and there are no sightings of bucks, I will move on. Probably drive another 3 hours and get to some remoter country