PDA

View Full Version : Another Tire Thread - Studded Tires

skibum
10-03-2016, 02:41 PM
I was going to pick up some M-55 tires for winter driving -- I need a winter tire that is not going to be destroyed off road.

Is studding the tire a good idea? Any advise on a winter tire that won't be wrecked off road

Thanks in advance

tipper
10-03-2016, 02:49 PM
I was going to pick up some M-55 tires for winter driving -- I need a winter tire that is not going to be destroyed off road.

Is studding the tire a good idea? Any advise on a winter tire that won't be wrecked off road

Thanks in advance If you drive on alot of shale, rock etc with studs you will get lots of flats.

Xenomorph
10-03-2016, 03:08 PM

Thanks in advance

I put a set of Duratracs 33s on my Durango, seems to be a lot of traction any time I need it. For snow, ice going up or down the slopes I was going to buy a set or two of chains. Don't see a point for the studs, and it's more time consuming than setting up chains if and when needed. My opinion...

Rattler
10-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Had Toyo M55's and they are a great tire and are hard to beat for gravel roads. I tried them one winter and was not impressed on icy roads. They are a hard tire and as such do not perform well on icy and hard packed snow conditions.

Run Nokian Hak's with Tungsten studs and they have performed well, but they are pricey.

Pacemaker
10-03-2016, 04:32 PM
I have been running Toyo M 55's ever since I bought my Toyota Tundra new back in '07. They are a tremendous all 'round winter and off road driving tire. Extremely durable and long wearing. Just got back from a moose hunt in the Cariboo where all of the clay based roads had turned to grease due to the rain. Did real well in those conditions. Only time that studs would be a real good benefit is if you drive on lots of icy roads. Studded tires definitely do shine brighter there.

DMD
10-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Hakapellitas studded.

Surrey Boy
10-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Studs help traction in every situation, they never make it worse.

I haven't had wear issues with my Duratracs, or any flats. Used to drive Coombs to Hinton and back every month, wore studded C rated Duratracs all year long.

I highly recommend studding tires.

Squamch
10-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Studs help traction in every situation, they never make it worse.

I haven't had wear issues with my Duratracs, or any flats. Used to drive Coombs to Hinton and back every month, wore studded C rated Duratracs all year long.

I highly recommend studding tires.

yep. Love studded tires.

swampthing
10-03-2016, 06:47 PM
I ran those toyo 55s one winter. They had the crap siped out of them and worked very well. Waaay better than duratraks. I imaging if you siped them they would be much better. Even studded I find duratraks piss poor on ice.

Rattler
10-03-2016, 07:15 PM
I have Duratracks as well and don't like them in icy conditions ...Nokians are much better IMO.

Swissrallyman
10-03-2016, 08:19 PM
If you are going to have dedicated winter tires, then you might as well get real winter tires not all weather/all season tires. I have used m55s and duratracts in the winter, the m55s suck because they will get rock hard in the cold. The duratracs suck a bit less. I use nokian hakka r2s in the winter on my truck and I love them

604ksmith
10-03-2016, 08:26 PM
I had brand new M55's in the Prince George winter this year and felt they were too firm of a tire for winter when driving on ice. They sure felt stiff and broke loose/slide quite easily under braking. However, in deep snow they were great. If it was an offroad winter tire I think they'd be great, but for city/traffic driving there must be better options out there.

With 30k on my tires since December I can say they ARE the non-winter gravel tire I will buy from now on. I have no more concerns over flats and the tire wear/chipping is about as slow as I've ever experienced.

emerson
10-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Had Toyo M55's and they are a great tire and are hard to beat for gravel roads. I tried them one winter and was not impressed on icy roads. They are a hard tire and as such do not perform well on icy and hard packed snow conditions.

Run Nokian Hak's with Tungsten studs and they have performed well, but they are pricey.
I do exactly the same summer and winter.