PDA

View Full Version : Reg 3-30 Wolves

grizzly550
10-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Hey Gents (and ladies),

I have sponsored my uncle to come hunt out in BC with for a week (Oct 23 - 27). He is a very accomplished outdoorsmen but does not have a wolf under his belt so that is our main focus. I live in Kelowna so I don't know too much about hunting wolves or where to hunt them but I have him sponsored for WMU 3-30 because Ive read about activity in that area through our beloved site here. My plan was to rent a small travel trailer and use one of the back road sites near bonaparte lake as our base. Now that I look more into renting a trailer it seems you can only really rent them if you are staying on paved roads (or "government maintained" roads). Any advice or suggestions would be amazing! I am obviously down for just camping out of my 2 man back country tent as always but he's getting up there in age (mid 50's - and no offence meant to any of you gents! haha) and doesn't really want to do that anymore. Thank so much in advance everyone.

Jesse

skibum
10-03-2016, 01:44 PM
I have only bagged one wolf, so I am no expert. But if I was targeting wolves I would set up and call from a high spot that has a good view of a something like a narrow skidder trail through the trees. I think they like the easy travel with better cover than a logging road. This is how I bagged my kill, while deer hunting (obviously without the call). I have called them in to 40 – 60 yards, but they never exited the tree line – that is why I think finding a travel route would work

I have read a bit on hunting them up north in the winter - open country, but you will be targeting them in areas of thick bush - tough go of it

Just my experience, hope other have more to add / better advise

monasheemountainman
10-03-2016, 01:53 PM
How much would it be to rent a trailer? you could probably buy a wall tent for the same $?? just a thought.

grizzly550
10-03-2016, 03:47 PM
Booked a rustic cabin at spruce wilderness lodge on bonaparte as base camp! Pretty cost effective. Any advice on how we should hunt them would still be great!

monasheemountainman
10-03-2016, 03:52 PM
id get a fox pro with some wolf calls and try some different stands. Depending on how long you have, you could try baiting too

grizzly550
10-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking ...we have 4 nights...i was thinking a remote call system and get some scraps from a butcher if possible to add some allure

russm
10-03-2016, 03:56 PM
perhaps a foxpro and a good vantage point would work, I've only ever seen one in 3-30 and wasn't able to get a shot at it, good luck, they are in there.

Spy
10-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Has anyone ever tried silhouette wolf decoys easy to make, put the fox pro between them and see what happens. Let us know how you make out.

Mosin
10-03-2016, 04:04 PM
Has anyone ever tried silhouette wolf decoys easy to make, put the fox pro between them and see what happens. Let us know how you make out.

Thats actually a pretty good idea.

grizzly550
10-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Thanks man

Weatherby Fan
10-04-2016, 08:54 AM
I've used the Fox Pro caller and called a wolf in with the fawn in distress call, and just so happens it was in 3-30, you should be ok for timing up in that area, try to set up in an small open area with cover all around, that way the wolves don't feel so vulnerable entering an opening, we use a small meadow that is about 150x300 yards.

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Hey Gents (and ladies),

I have sponsored my uncle to come hunt out in BC with for a week (Oct 23 - 27). He is a very accomplished outdoorsmen but does not have a wolf under his belt so that is our main focus. I live in Kelowna so I don't know too much about hunting wolves or where to hunt them but I have him sponsored for WMU 3-30 because Ive read about activity in that area through our beloved site here. My plan was to rent a small travel trailer and use one of the back road sites near bonaparte lake as our base. Now that I look more into renting a trailer it seems you can only really rent them if you are staying on paved roads (or "government maintained" roads). Any advice or suggestions would be amazing! I am obviously down for just camping out of my 2 man back country tent as always but he's getting up there in age (mid 50's - and no offence meant to any of you gents! haha) and doesn't really want to do that anymore. Thank so much in advance everyone.

Jesse

Do you have a FOXPRO Jesse?

grizzly550
10-04-2016, 12:44 PM
Do you have a FOXPRO Jesse?

I do not...no...so I will have to think that through, its a fairly big investment i think eh?

grizzly550
10-04-2016, 12:45 PM
I've used the Fox Pro caller and called a wolf in with the fawn in distress call, and just so happens it was in 3-30, you should be ok for timing up in that area, try to set up in an small open area with cover all around, that way the wolves don't feel so vulnerable entering an opening, we use a small meadow that is about 150x300 yards.

Great insight, thanks a lot.

floden
10-04-2016, 12:54 PM
I know 3-30 well and I've seen a wolf only once. We have a cabin on green lake and I can get the coyotes howling at night but not the wolves. That said- we know they are there. The roads are excellent up there and that's good and bad. Every time I've seen wolves ( in region 7 and 4) they have been off the roads or on unused tough to get to ones. I'd suggest as many others will that you need to get off the main roads. Backroad map books are very clear for that area.

there has been lots of new clear cutting up there near Hutcheson lake , get to the back of those cuts and give it a try for sure.

If you have never been up there before the Meadows are what you would think a grown in pond or lake would look like . So the travel routes are well established around the edges . You can easily set up with the wind in mind and have a good view point .

That area has excellent access for ATVs and snowmobiles so be prepared to see lots of them tOo.

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 01:17 PM
I do not...no...so I will have to think that through, its a fairly big investment i think eh?

PM me, I got a full set. I hunt the region anyway and if we coordinate dates you can use mine ...or if you live close enough to pick/drop off ;)

tipper
10-12-2016, 09:28 AM
Will be up there in the snow for a bit before your trip. Will let you know if I find a good area for these things..

adriaticum
10-12-2016, 11:22 AM
Bring your dog and let is piss all over the place.
Or borrow your neighbours dog.

adriaticum
10-12-2016, 11:36 AM
and please post a report after, I'm interested to know if you find any wolves and what works/doesn't work.

curt
10-12-2016, 01:16 PM
I know 329 south closer to Kamloops like Saul lake area is thick with wolves

scotty30-06
10-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Saul Lake area eh???......might have to head that way come winter time

horse280
10-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Try Grant mountain behind hihuim lake and the airport road up behind loon lake that's where the majority of the wolf activity has been in the past But yeah lots of howling no matter how stupid you think you sound will bring them closer if they are in the general area,shoot the first one thru the back hips to anchor it then watch the fur fly! Happy trails

Bugle M In
10-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Try Grant mountain behind hihuim lake and the airport road up behind loon lake that's where the majority of the wolf activity has been in the past But yeah lots of howling no matter how stupid you think you sound will bring them closer if they are in the general area,shoot the first one thru the back hips to anchor it then watch the fur fly! Happy trails
don't forget....
as winter sets in, and the deer move down....so do the wolves;-)
atleast when the snow starts....tracking is....should we say....a little easier to figure out where they are hanging.

Steelpulse
10-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Have see them all around Kamloops over the last 5 years a few sightings, in each region, and large packs north of Kamloops, I haven't shot one or had an opportunity yet but if you have snow we have hunted them by locating tracks that are fresh and focusing around there, that might be a good place to start hunting by calling. just cover ground until you find them there are miles and miles of logging roads, the more you can cover the better, you could probably easily come into 3-29 via 3-30 on a day drive, it will be a difficult hunt for sure but might get lucky.

Try howling early late locating them potentially? Cover ground

bait might work like a horse or something, or scraps

Just some thoughts there what I might try

I would be ready for a quick shot, the ones we have seen don't stick around long
good luck

hparrott
10-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Pm sent. My parents got a very large black wolf 2 days ago in 3-30 and there were other wolves with him.

tipper
11-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Any luck??

Linksman313
11-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Deersicle - put your deer/moose/elk guts into a 5 gallon pail and fill with water, place in freezer for a few days, remove and put in back of truck. Drive down FSR until you hit the snow line, pick a nice secluded valley or clearing that you can set up on top of, or a skidder trail as previously mentioned with good visibility. Tip over bucket and expose the deersicle in clearing and wait. We called them in with coyote yips and howls. Wolves will try to pull out the guts from the ice and will dedicate all their attention to the tasty frozen treat while you line them up for the shot.
Good luck and good hunting
PS. Buddy bagged two in Cherryville last weekend with this set up approx. 2 km above the snow line off FSR. Pics to come

grizzly550
11-18-2016, 06:03 PM
Update....we brought up about 400lbs of scraps....divided into two piles, one for each hunter in two cuts where there were heavy wolf tracks...had game cam on one of the piles...it ended up being quite warm during the daytime hours so the piles were not frozen for very long (were initially frozen when placed in 90b blocks). Ravens and eagles decimated the piles within a couple days. We did not come across a single deer up that high. Were able to watch a few moose on two occasions and a gorgeous lynx for a few minutes on one other occasion but that was the extent of animal sightings in that area. I felt like a bad host but what can you do when you have zero experience in an area i guess haha...hopefully more luck next time!

tipper
11-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Update....we brought up about 400lbs of scraps....divided into two piles, one for each hunter in two cuts where there were heavy wolf tracks...had game cam on one of the piles...it ended up being quite warm during the daytime hours so the piles were not frozen for very long (were initially frozen when placed in 90b blocks). Ravens and eagles decimated the piles within a couple days. We did not come across a single deer up that high. Were able to watch a few moose on two occasions and a gorgeous lynx for a few minutes on one other occasion but that was the extent of animal sightings in that area. I felt like a bad host but what can you do when you have zero experience in an area i guess haha...hopefully more luck next time!

Damn that sucks grizzly, my place is at 4600 feet up there and I never see deer after late September.

Jagermeister
11-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Okay, you have the base camp. Next, start talking to the rancher's in the area. They are sure to know. Research the BC Cattleman's Assoc. to see what ranches operate in that area. Here's a head start: BCCA office P 250-573-3611 or info@cattlemen.bc.ca.