PDA

View Full Version : First Day Moose

Keta1969
10-03-2016, 10:02 AM
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh487/keta1969/Resized_20160925_125852_resized_zpsvz4rrmf7.jpg[/URL]

Hope the picture works. Here's the story. I was lucky to get a draw for 5-2d for a shared hunt with my son. He couldn't make it so one of my other sons came along. We had never been in the area before but liked the odds and the size of the zone.I studied google earth hard and and reached out to ssrup by PM to ask for tips and advice(thanks Steven).
We got the first ferry off the island on the 23rd and arrived in the area around 4:30 pm. We quickly changed into our gear and headed out to check one area we had in mind. There was more traffic than we anticipated and passed one camp as we got closer and then around the corner came a truck with a nice bull in the back. Quick stop to say congratulations and learned they were not from the camp we saw and still had another authorization to fill. It was getting dark by this time so headed back to regroup.
While we liked the area we didn't like the crowds and decided to do some scouting in the morning. Got up in the morning and basically looked at the map and said lets go for a drive. After a bit of exploring and enjoying the new country at about 1:30 coming up a slight hill my son says "BULL MOOSE" and there he was about 60-70 yards away. I got out of the truck put one shell in the chamber and put the sights on him. Now he was facing directly at us and I don't like brisket shots so waited and he took a couple of steps towards us but still straight on. I gave a little grunt and he turned broadside and at the same time my son was saying shoot, I fired. He jumped forward and disappeared from view. I felt real good about the shot and was surprised to find he had spun around and headed back the way he had come. For a moment I wondered if I had gagged the shot but then heard his last gasps coming from the thick stuff.
Walked in and then the work began. Skinned him out right there and got the quarters and trim into bags and packed him out. Took us about 3 hours and headed back for a celebratory whiskey. I was amazed at how far he got as there was very little heart or lungs left . For those that are interested the gun was a remington 35 whelen shooting handloaded 225gr. partitions over 60.5 grs. varget( a very accurate load in this rifle). We also used Allen game bags and were impressed with how they performed.
So with a few days to kill we looked for deer(no luck), got some grouse and did some fishing. Left a day earlier than planned and got home and dropped off 400lbs. of great looking meat at the butchers. Never saw another bull but we weren't really looking. Saw a cow moose, lots of bears and LOTS of wolf sign. Had a great time and just goes to show if you're out there good things can happen. Good luck to everyone still out there or going.

Whonnock Boy
10-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Nice..... Gotta like the easy ones.

Backwoods
10-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Congrats!! Awesome meat in the freezer!!

markathome
10-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Wow - beauty of a bull!

smallfry14
10-03-2016, 10:18 AM
congrats on your bull!

todbartell
10-03-2016, 10:24 AM
nice moose and I like your choice in rifle!

kilometers
10-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Nice bull. Congrats

Shikari300WSM
10-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Awesome how it pans out like that.congrats on some great meat

Arctic Lake
10-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Good story ! Looks like great meat for the freezer !
Arctic Lake

kennyj
10-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Nice bull! Thanks for the story.
kenny