PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies near cache creek?!?!

Busterpayton54
10-02-2016, 10:49 PM
I just spent the weekend near McLean lake, just 7km west of town where I met up with a couple of my pals who had spent Saturday further west on on medicine creek, where they observed a femal grizzly with 2 Cubs.

Today they moved off to venables, heading west towards blue earth lake and came across another grizzly.

This is not normal for these areas is it? I've never heard of it.

Pemby_mess
10-02-2016, 10:56 PM
certainly doesn't seem abnormal - more of the province holds grizzlies than not.

gutpile
10-02-2016, 11:01 PM
I heared years ago there was a grizzly up hat creek !

Busterpayton54
10-02-2016, 11:16 PM
I heared years ago there was a grizzly up hat creek !
The sow and Cubs would have only been 3-4km east of upper hat creek.

Fella
10-03-2016, 06:06 AM
Not surprising really, as their population grows they're gonna spread out looking for new territory

whognu
10-03-2016, 06:23 AM
six years ago saw a big healthy grizz on the hill headed west up the hat creek rd

in the fields, along the creek, right below the homes

seemed weird then, apparently not

250 sav
10-03-2016, 06:08 PM
Saw a griz sow and two cubs by Bedard lake and a big boar on white mountian in the early 90's

Busterpayton54
10-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Ya know this just made me re-analyze something.
Last year my buddy and I were dirbiking in Lytton, laluwisson creek. We were coming down a trail just off ktm country, I was leading. I just remeber this weird don't look back, get the f out of here feeling. A few moments later we regrouped and I mentioned it to him and he said there was abunchnof Ravens feeding on a dead deer or something down off the edge of the trail. Neither of us felt it was wise to go checking out, and that's saying something for us.
I litterally just had goose bumps reliving that moment. Something about it said stay the f away.

I always follow my gut, it's never led
me wrong yet, although many times I've tried to ignore it and that usually ends ups costing me. My motto is if it feels wrong, it is.

604ksmith
10-03-2016, 09:54 PM
I've seen a Grizzly down the Yalakom FSR this season.

I pretty much assume they're everywhere.

CaribooBC
10-03-2016, 11:01 PM
There has been one about 8km west of 100 Mile House as well. Then there was the one in Sechelt last week. There seems to be more of them closer to populated areas this year.

browning308mag
10-04-2016, 12:04 AM
I saw sow 2 cubs about 20 years a go near barnes lake

scotty30-06
10-04-2016, 02:38 AM
Yup grizz everywhere....and I'm noticing a lot more sow with "2" Cubs instead of just single cubs....some have even reported 3 cubs

Ltbullken
10-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Ya know this just made me re-analyze something.
Last year my buddy and I were dirbiking in Lytton, laluwisson creek. We were coming down a trail just off ktm country, I was leading. I just remeber this weird don't look back, get the f out of here feeling. A few moments later we regrouped and I mentioned it to him and he said there was abunchnof Ravens feeding on a dead deer or something down off the edge of the trail. Neither of us felt it was wise to go checking out, and that's saying something for us.
I litterally just had goose bumps reliving that moment. Something about it said stay the f away.

I always follow my gut, it's never led
me wrong yet, although many times I've tried to ignore it and that usually ends ups costing me. My motto is if it feels wrong, it is.

The gift of fear. Not enough people 'listen' to it. Predators, both 4 legged and 2 legged, will take advantage of you not listening to it. Highly recommend the book by Gavin De Becker, literally titled "The Gift of Fear".

Busterpayton54
10-04-2016, 02:23 PM
The gift of fear. Not enough people 'listen' to it. Predators, both 4 legged and 2 legged, will take advantage of you not listening to it. Highly recommend the book by Gavin De Becker, literally titled "The Gift of Fear".

i must check this book out. A few years back I had a similar instance also while dirbiking. We were try to find a the route from relay creek around the east side of dash hill to dash creek. The other guys were getting low on gas and I'd never gone this way but knew exactly where we were, and according to my gps was only a few km west of the root farm trail I know well.
So I went ahead alone to make sure this one would connect. I rode a couple km, something made me shiver, f this, i u-turned on that trail just before it did a sharp turn around the hillside and got well away from there before I let off the throttle.

When I regrouped, checked the gps, and I was within a few hundred meters of the root farm so we continued on. I can't remember if I mentioned anything about the weird feeling or not.

Anyways I was leading, and hauling ass, by I got to that spot again way too far ahead of the rest of the guys, the feeling returned and hit the brakes. I wasn't turning that corner alone. I was seriously tripping balls, cursing these slow a-holes, trying to reach my bear spray mounted to the hip belt of my back pack when cooper showed up, followed closely by the others.

That corner led into a deep, cold hillside ravine, very dense under growth. Didn't see a sign of anything but it wreaked of rotting death, which none of us had smelt before rounding the corner.

We encountered a number of bears on the way back to camp that night. I can't recall if it was 3 or 5. The last 10km or so was in the pitch black other than our pathetic fender mounted flashlights. I know 1 crossed the trail in my light path, and the other was only a few hundred meters from camp when I popped out of the trail at our campsite on mud lake. A young grizz, scampering away in my headlight 200 meters from my tent. None of this bothered me, I slept quite well, but that one corner by dash, had me all kinds of freaked out.

This last Saturday night I was a few km west of Gallagher lake, west of cache creek, I had something following me parallel to my trail for a few hundred yards in the pitch black as well. I had my headlamp on dim blue led to save my night vision, and didn't want to turn the light up and mess my eyes up so I couldn't see it. I'd put it at 15-20 ft off trail by the sound. My dog was very perceptive of this but stayed at my side, I believe with the intent to protect me. It didn't bother me one bit. I even returned a few hours later alone without my dog to look for my knife that I dropped while looking in my pack for a brighter hand held light. Im thinkin cat. Too softly stepped for a bear imo.

As I said, I always follow my gut, this "gift of fear" has always been in my favour, and I will continue to live by it, I don't care who says I'm being a pussy or if I'm being careless. The only time I've ever had a hard time was when I ignored my gut.

tubby
10-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Seen 1 biggum last summer fishing the Thompson opposite of Shaw springs and found tracks just above Spences bridge.

Deer_Slayer
10-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Bear hugging environmentalists want the public to believe their lies about grizzly populations so they can stop hunting and then profit with bear viewing. The grizz population is thriving and in some places at critical mass (overpopulated). This is why we are seeing grizzlies swimming to northern Vancouver Island, and re-appearing in areas they long ago vanished from. This is a good thing and it should be providing hunters with opportunity to hunt. These Clinton, Trudeau era wingnuts are exerting their control on every aspect of our society. Just wait for Trudeau to weigh in on the grizzly hunt and we are screwed!

Glenny
10-08-2016, 09:12 AM
I assume they should be everywhere too. Over all my years around Tunkwater I've seen 2. So why not west of CC?

Ohwildwon
10-08-2016, 10:42 AM
Bear hugging environmentalists want the public to believe their lies about grizzly populations so they can stop hunting and then profit with bear viewing. The grizz population is thriving and in some places at critical mass (overpopulated). This is why we are seeing grizzlies swimming to northern Vancouver Island, and re-appearing in areas they long ago vanished from. This is a good thing and it should be providing hunters with opportunity to hunt. These Clinton, Trudeau era wingnuts are exerting their control on every aspect of our society. Just wait for Trudeau to weigh in on the grizzly hunt and we are screwed!

Can any please tell me how hunting has unreasonably effected Grizzly Bear viewing?

Bugle M In
10-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Can any please tell me how hunting has unreasonably effected Grizzly Bear viewing?

Nope...no one here could give you that answer.....
they are on the other side of the fence.
As far as I am concerned.....there should be a Fall LEH Grizz hunt in much of the province.

Steelpulse
10-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Wouldn't be surprised have heard of them here and there from Kamloops sun peaks Adams lake, probably on a long walk a little farther south than usual

xcaribooer
10-23-2016, 10:31 AM
there are grizzlies in the marble range by Clinton, only a short drive from cache creek so ya I believe it

scretch
10-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Seen 1 biggum last summer fishing the Thompson opposite of Shaw springs and found tracks just above Spences bridge.
Grizzly was seen early Oct.15 kilometers up Murray FSR.

BigfishCanada
10-23-2016, 12:29 PM
Easy no problem, seen them close to lower Loon Lake (evergreen resort) as a kid, and a few years back seen one close to upper loon lake,, exact spot was near criss creek if you know where that is

Ferenc
10-23-2016, 12:39 PM
A few years back ran into the Co hauling a trailer into the East Anderson,Boston Bar with a grizzly in it... And went up Uztilius creek to release it.

Rob Chipman
10-23-2016, 12:42 PM
^^^^"there are grizzlies in the marble range by Clinton"

NIHunter
10-23-2016, 04:47 PM
Spotted one in Clinton first week of Oct.

Deer_Slayer
10-28-2016, 07:59 PM
I wish I had listened to my inner voice trembling with fear when I proposed to my 1st wife. Had to find out the hard way it was right!

khoffnbud
10-28-2016, 11:32 PM
Grizzly was seen early Oct.15 kilometers up Murray FSR.

watched a griz in a cut block near the end of izman fsr late sept. I was surprised and not surprised at the same time.

tubby
10-29-2016, 05:53 PM
Just spent 4 days around the Spences Bridge area and was surprised to see zero bears or fresh sign. Most years we are still seeing bear daily at this time.Been a crazy year..