PDA

View Full Version : Region 6 Oct bow only moose success

kilometers
10-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Finally made it out for some hunting after missing the September bow only moose season.

It's been a busy year with a two year old and a 9 month old running the house now. We recently sold our first house and bought a new place with some property.

After getting the guns and archery equipment outta storage it was time to practise. I had been shooting 8 arrows every morning before work and again after work since we moved in ( love being able to do it at home now)
http://i68.tinypic.com/2em3hag.png

this black bear kept pooping in my yard and He finally showed himself. I really wanted to launch an arrow at my deer target to see his reaction. I'm still in city limits so hunting him is a no go.

October 1 st opening morning of the region 6 bow only season.
Just me and my dad because my brother had a funeral to attend.
We decided to spread out to cover more ground. We both arrived before sun up and made our way to the edge of our swamps.
I was sneaking in and their appeared To be fresh moose tracks on the game trail. When I got within 10 feet of my favourite bow spot under a big tree at the point of the meadow I herd movement. I just cought the ass end of a moose 40 yards away it turned and barked at me. This was the first time a moose has done this to me but I know it was not the sound you want to hear. I was busted. I gave a quick cow call hoping it wouldn't do it again warning all the moose in the area that their was danger here. Instantly I hear a bull grunting to my left off in the thick stuff. The other moose barked again and headed off. The bull must of grunted 15 times but seemed to be heading away towards my dads area.

http://i66.tinypic.com/10dcug6.jpg
after getting busted and then pumped to hear a bull grunting I decided to hunker down and let the area settle

http://i68.tinypic.com/9098x2.jpg

i turned my radio on and messaged my dad. No reply. About a half hour later my dad radios back
"you on here"
yes i replied
" you going to come help me pack the moose out"
Seriously. Sweet.
" Yep bring your bow I got the little one but theirs a huge bull down here with a cow and calf"
I bail outta the swamp hike to my truck and race to my dad

whitespringer
10-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Moose with a bow, sounds like a great adventure.! Keep it coming ��

Spy
10-02-2016, 10:47 PM
Sounds good :-) keep her coming ;-)

kilometers
10-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Sorry for the delay. Life got in the way.

I frantically hike out to the truck and drive down to my dads end of the swamp.
Shed some layers and slowly walk in. I meet up with the old man and give him a big hug. Only took 4 years to do it with the bow! We Struggled last year to get a bull. Seen tonnes of cows and calfs, rut trees everywhere but no bull. The last thing we expected was to get one an hour in to opening morning of bow season.

My dads point of view.

He got down their way before sunrise so he took a nap because it was to dark woke up once, still to dark, back to sleep he goes only to wake up a little later then he wanted to.
Down ino the swamp he goes. As he sneaks into his tree he can here movement in the swamp. Leaving his bow at the base of the tree he climbs up to take a peak. He can here a cow calling and a bull grunting lots of commotion in the swamp. Wow cool he says. Suddenly he sees a moose come bounding outta the thick stuff leaping over the buck brush like a deer. At first he thinks it's a cow but as it scoots around in front of him he sees antlers.
More noises the swamp is alive. A cow and calf emerge to the right of where the bull came bounding out then A huge bull moose is right behind in hot pursuit. "Holy shit i better get down to my bow"
The cow, calf and huge bull are south of him about 100 yards. The small bull must of been chased by the bigger bull and is now circling in front of him. The little bull is going to wind him so he picks up a stick and gives a little rattle against the brush. He little bull turns and heads back towards him and the big bull. Coming in hot but more paying attention to the other moose my dad rattles again. The bull switches back and is now crossing the shooting lane we made last year. " shit to far" he thinks another quick rattle and the bull turns again. My dad waits and as he crosses the lane he lets an arrow fly
thwack. It's a hit the bull goes running but stops about 70 yards out. My dad can tell he is hurt. Another quick rattle and the bugger comes straight in again.
Thwack perfect double lung pass thru. The bull runs about 70 yards and drops dead. Moose down!!
mean while the big bull and cows didn't even notice him. This is when he radios me to get over here.
The other moose eventually head back into the thick stuff. By the time I arrived the sun is out. We sit quietly relishing in the moment debating about putting a chase on to the other bull. We decide to let him breed the cow and deal with the dead moose for today.

kilometers
10-03-2016, 09:05 PM
Where the bull was standing when hit both times 20 to 30 yards
http://i68.tinypic.com/2urax4h.jpg

kilometers
10-03-2016, 09:08 PM
http://i64.tinypic.com/29auv12.jpgTasty 4 pointer. The one side is broke off from fighting

kilometers
10-03-2016, 09:17 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/10dgpir.jpg

quartered it up and packed it out. We usually do six meat pack trips but this being a smaller moose did it in 4.
Man i love bow hunting!!
We went back the next day but the big bull wouldn't show himself. Herd some grunts and movement but no go.

Next up general open season any bull rifle. I got the week off and a grizzly leh.
Get out there and hunt
Happy hunting folks

HarryToolips
10-03-2016, 09:38 PM
Way to go on the nice bull moose you and your pops! Man I hope I can get me a spike forker just like that...

Whonnock Boy
10-04-2016, 05:54 AM
Perfect. What a rush.

two-feet
10-04-2016, 06:14 AM
Nice job by your dad. Those small ones are the best meat in the world in my opinion.

Linksman313
10-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Nice tasty looking spike fork there, great job!!

Arctic Lake
10-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Nice job ! Thanks for the pictures !

Arctic Lake

Leaseman
10-04-2016, 08:48 AM
The illusive immy with a bow!!;)

Very well done, congrats!!

Xenomorph
10-04-2016, 09:43 AM
The illusive immy with a bow!!;)

My thoughts exactly

kilometers
10-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Moved the moose from a friends cooler to our cousins house to get butchered.
Was 345 on the hook.
Going to be so tasty. Used my last package of moose grounds the other day can't wait to get some fresh organic meat in the freezer.

tomahawk
10-07-2016, 05:08 PM
right on, going to be tender

gamehunter6o
10-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Story, photos and bull, sweet as.:cool: