PDA

View Full Version : Heading out solo - a few questions

AgSilver
10-01-2016, 10:01 PM
So I've come up with a few random days off that I wouldn't normally have. Tried to arrange a trip with a buddy, but we can't coordinate our schedules, so I'm going to head out solo. Thinking of leaving home (Coquitlam) tomorrow mid-afternoon so that I can get somewhere to set up camp so that I can start early tomorrow morning...but have to be back by Wednesday afternoon.

First, I'm trying to figure out areas - I want to get into region 8 or region 3 so as to have WT bucks available (first had looked around Carolin Mines, etc, so that I'm pretty close to home but I'm sure it's high pressure and it's mostly region 2 there, so BTs only). I've been checking things out via Google Earth like crazy since it looked like I may have these days off (I don't get many at all, so I'm diving in!)

I'll be completely on my own, so I don't mind going deep and high and I don't mind hiking, but I have limitations as I've got no quad and am driving an Outback and will have to shlump it out on my back, if I get anything. I've heard that the Carolin Mines area has access issues with gated roads (read that somewhere in an earlier thread, I think).

so here's what I'm thinking so far:

1. Stick to the original idea and see if I can get in deep in between the Coq and Tulameen/Coalmont...it appears that there are roads, but not sure how accessible they are.

2. Head up into northern 8-6 by heading off Loon Lake or Sunset Main or that area somewhere...maybe around Vinson/Missezula'ish. I know it kind of plateaus around 1500m with a few higher points up there, so not the roughest terrain, but there is a lot of forest and a lot of cuts to check out. Fruitless or possible to find much?

3. Go where my friend and I were considering going (into 3-20 but past all of the private land)

I'm up for an adventure...I've got the gear to do it. I'm keen and I'm not stupid. Seems like a great opportunity but would welcome any help, tips, suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

boxhitch
10-02-2016, 06:39 AM
The more you know about a single area, the better. imo . Trying to learn by driving around til you road kill something is one style, but learning the secrets of a honey hole and exploiting them to get a kill is another.
Pick a spot that you can get back to with some regularity if needed, repeat as necessary.
OPtion 3 sounds best if your friend has interest too, chances of getting him to go back again may be better.
good luck out there

two-feet
10-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Just go man. If you dont have a quad use that to your advantage, walk in where the quads cant go. Like boxhitch says, get out and start figuring out an area.

itsy bitsy xj
10-02-2016, 07:46 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm heading out this evening or early early in the morning and need to be back for Weds evening. I was thinking of the Princeton area or Cashe Creek. I had hoped to do some scouting this summer but didn't have the free time I had hoped for.

HarryToolips
10-02-2016, 09:56 AM
Just go man. If you dont have a quad use that to your advantage, walk in where the quads cant go. Like boxhitch says, get out and start figuring out an area.
Exactly....and yes Missezula area holds decent game, just like almost anywhere, bring a bear tag with ya, seen a couple gooders around there...

AgSilver
10-02-2016, 09:57 AM
Thanks guys. Good advice.

Good luck itsy. I'm with you. I'd planned on going out to scout a bunch this summer but there was literally no time. 80 weeks for the past two years it seems! Would love to hear how it goes!

Linksman313
10-03-2016, 07:39 AM
Wherever you end up in Region 8, have a bear tag, there are "gooders" everywhere, bears have busted out 3 of my WT holes and have sign all over the rest!

AgSilver
10-05-2016, 07:27 PM
Didn't see anything...well, 4 or 5 grouse, one of which is now in my freezer. No deer sign (almost none...a few piles of droppings that were at least a week old)...one pile of bear droppings that were a few days old.

Bit of a bummer for a hard fought solo trip. Ah well!

jbruce
10-09-2016, 08:22 AM
think about all the country in your back yard,

Pinewood
10-09-2016, 08:47 AM
The best thing about being out solo is the deafening silence. I love it.

Rayne
10-09-2016, 08:51 AM
I'm with pinewood on that one

HarryToolips
10-09-2016, 02:58 PM
The best thing about being out solo is the deafening silence. I love it.
Yep...........

emerson
10-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Just spent 4 days hunting by myself. If you are warm, and not by a road it's very peaceful.

keithb7
10-10-2016, 07:04 PM
The older I get, the less tolerance I have the for others. Lol.
I do hunt alone a fair bit and also enjoy the solitude. I often think about being prepared for anything, solo. I have harvested my game solo. A adequately equipped vehicle goes a long way. Winch, roof rack, 4x4 etc
I pack a spot and GPS. Extra fuel, chainsaw, axe , swede saw, TP, matches et al. I'm ready to spend the night if I need to, even on day hunts. Another great point about solo hunting is tight lips. Nobody is leaking out where you shot your huge buck. Be safe out there. Be prepared. I leave my spot on 1 hr auto tracking. If something gets me, the family still gets closure. Lol.