PDA

View Full Version : Camo clothing is not necessary.

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-01-2016, 08:05 PM
I got into a discussion at work the other day with a guy and he said the right Camo clothing definitely gives you a much higher chance of success when rifle hunting.I have never really worn to much Camo clothing as I don't believe it makes that much difference .I believe the fabric material not having a unnatural sound as well as non scented material and the ability to move quietly with the right wind are much more important.I think the big companies are great at marketing and it's like the lures that catch more fishermen than fish.What are your thoughts :razz:

Fella
10-01-2016, 08:20 PM
In the old days guys wore blue jeans and red mackinaws and they did just fine

Whonnock Boy
10-01-2016, 08:24 PM
I have read that the biggest thing is UV brighteners in your washing detergent. Deer see different than us, and when we are out there in our UV brightened camo clothing, we look like glowing humans to them in low light conditions.

carson
10-01-2016, 08:29 PM
http://www.chuckhawks.com/dress_safe.htm
This article makes the case for red plaid being the ideal 'camo' for deer hunting. Deer can't see you but other hunters can.

adriaticum
10-01-2016, 08:33 PM
Camo is important, that's why it's 50% more expensive :mrgreen:

brian
10-01-2016, 08:38 PM
Camo on a rifle hunter, sure why not? Absolutely not needed. Take the exact same hunter and put him in camo or a pink tutu and the camo might give him a marginally higher chance of success.

finngun
10-01-2016, 08:39 PM
In the old days guys wore blue jeans and red mackinaws and they did just fine

but good old days,,,there was more most game too..:-?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Personally i dont believe in scent free anything. We all smell like humans to all animals
no matter what we are wearing. Our breath stinks. Our pores stink. Everything about us smells like
humans.
You can fool their ears. You can fool their eyes but you will never fool their noses.

Ry151
10-01-2016, 08:56 PM
until a deer can tell us what works better the truth will never be known 100%. If you like camo wear it, if you dont than dont wear it but if you want gear designed for hunter than most likely it will come in camo. Shit ive spotted game that ive shot while riding a noisy bright red stinky quad while wearing camo so explain that anomaly, lol. wear what works for you and in the price range your comfortable with and enjoy your time in the woods. Personally i like camo and dont mind the cost, has it made a difference for my success harvesting animals to date? dont think so but it might one day

HarryToolips
10-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Ya but all the Hunter's I see look way cooler in their camo while sitting in their trucks or on their quads lol... Seriously though, deer, like us, see movement primarily, so if ya ain't moving, or moving very slowly you have a good chance of not being seen..but think about it, camo is designed to look like natural surroundings, so of course it will give you a slight advantage..

boxhitch
10-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Camo makes for some good marketing ploys, and product placement fuels the magazines and Wildtv

Motion is the most frequent give-away if hunting into the wind.
Wearing plaid or a vest works toward breaking up the large outline, a look that is not so intimidating
And cover bare skin, it shines like a light sometimes, and hands flailing around swatting mosqies or flies is like a strobe

markathome
10-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Maybe a marginal advantage. But the real advantage is the tech driven into the new camo available today. If given the choice (and I was standing still) I would be in green/brown wool head to toe - but as soon as I move - I like tech gear. .

When I wear a pack, bush wack and head up hill I generally get quite frothy. Tech clothing from front line companies like Kuiu/Sitka work generally better than a Mac jacket and jeans.

I come from the mountain/back country skiing arena I like clothing that breaths, repels water (for the most part) and fits well.

Also I hunt in region 2 so... shooting past 75 yards is a rarity so a quite gear helps for sire.

boxhitch
10-01-2016, 09:05 PM
camo is designed to look like natural surroundings, Mossy Oak and Real Tree imitate hardwoods, not much of that out west. And Sitka? well its just techno

AgSilver
10-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Maybe a marginal advantage. But the real advantage is the tech driven into the new camo available today. If given the choice (and I was standing still) I would be in green/brown wool head to toe - but as soon as I move - I like tech gear. .

When I wear a pack, bush wack and head up hill I generally get quite frothy. Tech clothing from front line companies like Kuiu/Sitka work generally better than a Mac jacket and jeans.

I come from the mountain/back country skiing arena I like clothing that breaths, repels water (for the most part) and fits well.

Also I hunt in region 2 so... shooting past 75 yards is a rarity so a quite gear helps for sire.

This.

There are huge advantages to the materials themselves, more than the look of the material (although, as I understand it, the camo breaks up the pattern of the human form (to some extent) and therefore reduces the likelihood of being "outed" to a deer).

But yeah, the tech...quiet, warm but breathable, waterproof but breathable, etc are all huge advantages. Sure, I have a waterproof rain coat from Costco but that thing is noisy as I can imagine clothing being. And then I have some of my hunting gear...sure, it looks a bit goofy in camo, but it achieves what "hiking" clothes at MEC won't.

Obviously, you can ruin the hunt, no matter what you're wearing...but why not take the advantages that are available (if you feel it's worth it to spend the $$$ on it).

butthead
10-01-2016, 09:27 PM
only ware the camo bibs becouse there waterproof other than that its bluejeans and a red n white waterproof jacket

mpotzold
10-01-2016, 09:51 PM
I got into a discussion at work the other day with a guy and he said the right Camo clothing definitely gives you a much higher chance of success when rifle hunting.I have never really worn to much Camo clothing as I don't believe it makes that much difference .I believe the fabric material not having a unnatural sound as well as non scented material and the ability to move quietly with the right wind are much more important.I think the big companies are great at marketing and it's like the lures that catch more fishermen than fish.What are your thoughts :razz:

Bears, waterfowl & probably turkeys are not colour blind like the deer family. So if I hunted the aforesaid I would definitely wear camo. Since I don't , I always wear an orange or red jacket, vest, red plaid shirt...& hat. Never been shot at. Always want to be seen by other hunters.

emerson
10-01-2016, 10:09 PM
It's my fashion statement. She has shoes and skirts, I have camo. Also, usually far better wet than jeans.

Surrey Boy
10-01-2016, 10:48 PM
It's my fashion statement. She has shoes and skirts, I have camo. Also, usually far better wet than jeans.

Pretty much. I wear camouflage to give hunters presence and visually confront vegetarians. It's like a Confederate flag.

Buckmeister
10-01-2016, 10:53 PM
As most people have already said, it is really motion and scent that is the give away while hunting deer. On several occasions, with both mule deer and whitetail, I have been wearing blue jeans or even shorts, a red tank top once, a dark hoody, a ski jacket, all the while standing or sitting still in the wide open with NO cover (outline had NOTHING to do with it), and every time I have had either species come to within 15 feet of me and not even know I was there. The moment you make a sound or a motion, they are on high alert.

Camo is a huge fad that drives a multi billion dollar sales industry. It is a fashion statement through and through. Nuff said.

jburgundy
10-01-2016, 11:11 PM
As said, Camo breaks up the human figure to a degree, the colour (for deer hunting) matters not. But when it comes to hunting, all aspects have a marginal effect that we are either willing to spend the money on or not. Camo vs costco clothes, a $2000+ rifle that shoots 1/2 MOA out of the box vs a Savage special, a Swarovski scope vs a Vortex Crossfire etc.
Hunting can be done for very little, but when it comes time to be out there in the bush in who know what conditions, don't you want every advantage possible?

I do.

AgSilver
10-01-2016, 11:23 PM
don't you want every advantage possible?

I do.

Not only do I want it, I need it!

warnniklz
10-02-2016, 12:13 AM
I wear camo to hide from other hunters

Boner
10-02-2016, 04:41 AM

Me too. It's amazing how many people use their rifle scopes to look at stuff that catches their eye...once was enough for me. At least once that I know about...So now I sneak around.

two-feet
10-02-2016, 06:40 AM
Soft materials that diffuse light are excellent for the purpose of staying hidden. Deer themselves are not in camo but are certainly hard to see when not moving, and his is because their fur diffuses light. When i am wearing my wool pants and wool shirt i feel pretty much comoflaged in the bush, aside from my face. I would however like soft, quiet rain gear but the $500 price tag seems excessive to me.

Hillbros_96
10-02-2016, 06:41 AM
Personally i dont believe in scent free anything. We all smell like humans to all animals
no matter what we are wearing. Our breath stinks. Our pores stink. Everything about us smells like
humans.
You can fool their ears. You can fool their eyes but you will never fool their noses.
I agree to a point, it really depends on your dedication to be scent free. Which truthfully requires you to leave home freshly showered with scent free products, were scent blocking technology and not touching anything with your bare hands, and not sweating. If not you are absolutely correct.

When I was bow hunting near the family farm in Alberta I was a scent control freak, and it works, I had plenty of elk and deer walk within five yards of me with the wind behind my back blowing right at them and they walked by. What made me a believer was the afternoon the button buck smelled my leg trying to figure out what I was.

But I was was hunting in less then 30 minutes from showering, I was stripping down to underwear in the field, didn't touch anything with my hands, my boots never went inside the truck and I sprayed myself down with scent blocking liquid combined with wearing full scent blocking technology including a face shield (which was hot as hell). So I am definitely a believer but it was so much work, re-activating the carbon after every hunt, Washing the clothes every couple of days.

As for camo, I agree it really isn't necessary, as long as your pattern is broken up somehow, such as with plaid. My scent lock clothing is actually corn field camo pattern so it doesn't fit foothills of Alberta in the least and it worked just fine. Now a days I am lucky if I look at my camo when I go hunting.

kevan
10-02-2016, 06:42 AM
Probably the biggest question is what does a man buy that has never bought any camo before ?
I can go into any store big or small but where do you start and again what pattern of camo to use?

As for camo vs. ordinary clothes we were required to wear either red, white or blaze orange in Saskatchewan when I was a kid and we still filled our tags.

Frango
10-02-2016, 07:10 AM
I wear camo..Various patterns. It is not so much the camo but the clothing designed for hunting is better in bad weather and practical .A few years ago I had a health scare. When I told my hunting partners that I was cured they came over to my house with some beer and a pair of pink /with bears pajamas. They are tacky to say the least. I now wear them in my sleeping bag because they are warm and also to say thank you every time they see me in them. I could wear them out hunting. I don't think the camo makes that much difference. Although wearing the PJ's in public might raise some eye brows or perhaps give the Ungulate's a snicker..Thankfully we are not forced wear something red or florescent in this province. So yes I will continue to buy camo..

brian
10-02-2016, 07:24 AM
don't you want every advantage possible?

Its a bit of a false dichotomy. Deers detail vision is so crappy that most camo patterns will blur to a homogenous blob anyways, not unlike wearing a solid neutral tone. To me if it comes down to buying some expensive camo gear from one of the big companies or cobbling together something, I'll choose the latter because I know it'll still work.

itsy bitsy xj
10-02-2016, 07:54 AM

I wear camo to hide the food I spill on me

hoochie
10-02-2016, 08:07 AM
took a mule deer yesterday, wearing black Carheart pants and a sweater.
I have camo clothes, but I really wish they werent camo.. so I could wear them other than hunting. The camo material is great in poor weather to keep me dry, warm and comfortable.
Cant they make it in just a regular color????
camo is not needed, but it seems its the only thing available in stores.

knothead
10-02-2016, 08:11 AM
I wear camo because thats the colours hunting gear come in. It's not necessarily about the pattern but about the tech that goes into the clothing keeping me dry when I'm hiking and warm when I'm sitting.
No different than when I skied and when I fish I want to be comfortable and I spend the money on the best I can afford to make my limited days in the bush a pleasure not a pain.

Cyrus
10-02-2016, 08:17 AM
I only wear it as some of it is designed to be very silent and for being waterproof. I still don't know why road hunters wear head to toe full camo???? Have seen a few camo edition trucks out there too which should add to being invisible to game. If I am on a road hunt for grouse or in hopes a deer is just sitting on the side of the road that was already missed by 25 vehicles that went by then its running shoes a hoody and jeans. Guess it makes a good photo op when you shoot something. Camo like hunting is a big fad right now. To each their own I guess...

Stone Sheep Steve
10-02-2016, 08:26 AM
There is nothing better at hiding dirt than camo. Just saying.

noahs ark
10-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Camo on a rifle hunter, sure why not? Absolutely not needed. Take the exact same hunter and put him in camo or a pink tutu and the camo might give him a marginally higher chance of success.

This is what I wear aswell.

M.Dean
10-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Camo clothing ain't necessary you say??? Wash your mouth out with soap and say it ain't So!!! I wouldn't even think about going hunt'in on my quad without Camo! Camo clothing ain't necessary,Dear God Man! And you call your self a Hunter! For Shame on you for even think'in such a immoral though!!! I swear by Camo! I even gargle with dark green and black Tremclad paint so there ain't a glare off my teeth when I scream "Holy Shit" when I see a record book buck!!! Camo clothing ain't necessary he say's! For shame on you again!!!

mod7rem
10-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Camo is a huge fad that drives a multi billion dollar sales industry. It is a fashion statement through and through. Nuff said.

I agree with this statement, I think camo is 100% a fashion choice and an identity. If thats the fashion or identity you like then its an easy choice. Like others have said, its not the camo pattern that is helpful, its the technology in the clothing. I've always used combos of wools and hiking clothing like North Face, Westcomb, Integral Designs, Arcteryx, etc.
My hunt style is boots & backpack and personally camo is not my fashion choice. Whether I'm backpack hunting or just backpacking, I use the same tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, mats, etc,,,,,, and I'd prefer to use the same high tech clothing for both as well. its nice to see that at least one company (Kuiu) offers some of their gear in neutral colors for people who aren't into the camo fashion. Mabye more will follow.

Timberjack
10-02-2016, 09:33 AM
humans.

Exactly...

Pemby_mess
10-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Kuiu and the lesser hunting brands are only following what high end general outdoor brands have done previously with more technical materials. The only thing they are doing differently is making Camo patterns. That's fashion. They also happen to cost significantly more, for lesser quality,lesser versatility, with worse warranty service. Camo demands a huge premium for very little benefit when you ad it all up.

Ourea
10-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Camo is nothing more than a badge of honor or lifestyle statement.
Endless road hunters are decked out in camo, think about that

There are some higher end camo clothing manufacturers that make garments that cater to hunters technical needs.
Issue being is you pay an absolute premium for such clothing.

A person can find equal or superior tech clothing outside the hunting community for far less money than what camo manufacturers offer.
I used to sport top end camo, had quite a bit of it.
That is not the case now......and I do pretty darn well in the field.

All the best gear in the world will have little impact on a hunter's success as compared to hunting knowledge and strategies.

mikeman20
10-02-2016, 11:18 AM
I see it as a few % boost in my ability to stay hidden,thanks to the pattern breakup .my red and black plaid does the same and I'll swap between them depending on the weather.

As long as it doesn't have blue or white (closer to UV spectrum) on it and it breaks up the lines a bit like plaid I think it's good to go. The biggest thing for me is the damn noise the clothing makes. 90% of camo in the stores make a loud swish when you rub it together. Made for sitting in a truck only I suppose.

fuzzy 63
10-02-2016, 11:43 AM
on Bowen Island , 30 plus years ago another bowhunter was just off the trail I was on and was motionless against a treetrunk as I walked by him . he was fully face painted and camo from hat to boots .He finally called out to me " hey there" and I was shocked to say the least . He was just like Rambo all hidden . We small talked a bit and then I moved on my way . My thoughts after that was how vulnerable he was , and How I then had a moment of doubt in my self awareness . Sometimes come to mind when I'm out in the woods or marsh .
do like the dark grey wool pants that I've had for years and thinking a Red mack jacket should be on my wish list .
Cliff

longwalk
10-02-2016, 11:54 AM
Camo clothing ain't necessary you say??? Wash your mouth out with soap and say it ain't So!!! I wouldn't even think about going hunt'in on my quad without Camo! Camo clothing ain't necessary,Dear God Man! And you call your self a Hunter! For Shame on you for even think'in such a immoral though!!! I swear by Camo! I even gargle with dark green and black Tremclad paint so there ain't a glare off my teeth when I scream "Holy Shit" when I see a record book buck!!! Camo clothing ain't necessary he say's! For shame on you again!!! That's too funny! You could be the new Jelvis. Without the rhymes and the pretzel logic but better wit:p

caddisguy
10-02-2016, 12:57 PM
I wear camo to hide from other hunters. It works pretty good. Usually the jeep is tucked away up a deactivated FSR along the side of the mountain but if I am hunting my way out in the morning I work my way down to a main road as the thermals are heading up. I can't count the number of times I have heard road hunters driving by and I just slip into the brush on the side of the road and wait until they pass. I don't think I have ever been spotted. I wonder how many deer they have passed.

I think camo has its place for hunting. The idea is not necessarily to blend in from a color perspective, but not to look like one solid color. Colors don't necessary matter as animals see differently. Blends of reds might work just as a good.

Some people have mentioned UV / reflection / etc. Now I think that is hugely important when it comes to deer. I have one particular camo jacket, that I am 99% certain would be utterly useless to prevent being spotted by deer. The reason I conclude this, is because when I visited my trailcams where it is dark enough the infrared comes on and it films in black and white, when I wear that jacket, I am literally glowing like a light bulb because it is so reflective. For the human eye it is camo, but if you are hunting an animal highly sensitive to light, it would probably look like a disco ball even at (especially at) first and last light.

In summary, I'd say quiet, non-reflective, non-solid clothing is the way to go. Only part I haven't figured out is how to tell how reflective something is without buying it first and testing it against the trail cams. Test your camo gear with an infrared cam and you might be surprised... good chance it looks like one really dang bright solid color and makes jeans and a plaid shirt like super low profile. And that's what it will look like to deer, guaranteed.

Funny story actually. This weekend we had been still hunting along a ridge that overlooks and old slash and set up to sit for a few hours on the part with the best view. Some guys drove up the deactivated road and parked. They were probably 40-50 yards, getting changed into their camo and looking for the blind they had set up in the slash. We were trying to get their attention waving our arms around (also in camo) and blowing on a grunt tube. Nothing. My wife had a whistle and starting blowing it softly while waving her orange hat around and one of them spotted her, waved back and forth through the binos. Camo sure does work awesome for people!! Btw if that was anyone on here, send me a PM!! :)

rocksteady
10-02-2016, 01:14 PM
As many others have said I use it to hide from hunters... and maybe a critter or two

panhead
10-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Never worn it ... probably never will. A bud tried it at home and his wife kept finding him so really don't see any use for it ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s jumping around like a heifer in a hailstorm

dougan
10-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Camo for road hunting is imperative

PressurePoint
10-02-2016, 08:38 PM
I thinking that spending money on amazing gear camo or not is important. I'm a huge fan of KUIU and it's simply because the product works amazing. Lite weight, durable, warm and keeps me dry. Regardless of camo or not, the pattern isn't as important as the quality of the product. I just got back from a high alpine northern Bc moose hunt. -15, hiking thru 3 foot of snow... It was amazing. But I don't think the camo pattern had anything to do success. It's all about being comfortable and having a product that works good and doesn't fail. I do believe that having good quality stuff makes you a better hunter....

overall, camo has its place. Depends on ur quarry really. But I think there is more garbage products out there that are ridiculous aka that " ozonics" fan crap. 90% of advertisement stuff on wild tv is complete garbage.

gmachine19
10-02-2016, 08:49 PM
I wear camo to hide from other hunters actually. I'm fully camo'd from head to toe. Last thing i want is an idiot scoping me.

gmachine19
10-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Pretty much. I wear camouflage to give hunters presence and visually confront vegetarians. It's like a Confederate flag.

Ha! I like this comment. My buddies always bring change of clothes when going to town to "blend in." I rock my camo there still. No shame in being a hunter!

landphil
10-02-2016, 09:03 PM
I have some camo hunting clothing simply because it is the easiest way to buy quiet, water resistant clothing that is suitable for hunting. I also use it to avoid been seen by other hunters at times, there are times I do not wish to have a conversation or have my hunt interrupted. But my favourite camo clothing is my SAX boxer shorts, they make me uber stealthy. ;)

dasnake
10-02-2016, 09:12 PM
When I made a return to hunting right after the turn of the century I made one purchase of rivers west, with quiet, rainproof, windproof quality I bought a complete set, top to bottom, inside and out, can't say it's a dire need, but I can't beat the quality and comfort, plus being at the border if I have a problem its just a short drive for repair or revamp.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Camo clothing is only effective in combination with camo seat covers. Otherwise you're wasting your money...
:lol:

Surrey Boy
10-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Camouflage hides stains, hence it makes great seat covers.

landphil
10-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Camouflage hides stains, hence it makes great seat covers.

And boxer shorts. :mrgreen:

Linksman313
10-03-2016, 07:46 AM
I think the big companies are great at marketing and it's like the lures that catch more fishermen than fish.What are your thoughts :razz:

I wholeheartedly agree - See WALMART Canada quadrupling there Camo/Hunting stock when Duck Dynasty TV show came out a few years back, before that - nothing

Iron Glove
10-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Camo clothing is only effective in combination with camo seat covers. Otherwise you're wasting your money...

That only applies to road hunting.
When I wear camo while sitting in the truck on my camo seat covers the deer can't see me and I can drive right up to them. :biggrin:

russm86
10-03-2016, 08:37 AM
It doesn't necessarily have to match the surroundings but I wear it to break up my outline which often lets you get away with a little bit more movement. For those that say it does nothing, I suggest they dress their buddy in full camo and send them for a hike and then try looking for them, unless it is a completely open grass hillside, most would be surprised how difficult it is to spot them even when they know they are there somewhere, me and my buddies have nearly walked right by each other when trying to meet up halfway around a cut block or at a certain point on a ridge etc. Have also had other hunters walk right up to me or by me and vice versa.

My biggest reason for wearing camo though? It hides all the blood stains!!

boblly1
10-03-2016, 09:17 AM
as all members of the deer family are proven to be color blind. I really dont think it makes a lot of difference that fact is they see movement mostly. And their sense of smell so keen as is the extremely sensitive hearing i think that these senses far more important than the clothes your wearing.

skibum
10-03-2016, 09:30 AM
head to toe camo makes grown men look like they are out hunting in their pajamas.

Ltbullken
10-03-2016, 09:38 AM
It just looks way more cooler! Most important, I want clothing that is built for the outdoors, for all conditions. Jeans don't make the grade as far as I'm concerned. Use the ground properly and be mindful of the wind and noise and most times you'll make a good stalk on an animal.

DarekG
10-03-2016, 10:10 AM
I like camo for both the tech and its looks. My whole getup cost about $70.
I like having designated hunting/camping clothing because:

A) When I put it on, I know its time to go into the woods and it's a great feeling. Just like putting on gym clothes before I hit the gym.

B) I can get it dirty, torn up, and roll around in dirt and mud and not really care.

C) I look cool.

To each their own I suppose.

brian
10-03-2016, 10:54 AM
as all members of the deer family are proven to be color blind. I really dont think it makes a lot of difference that fact is they see movement mostly. And their sense of smell so keen as is the extremely sensitive hearing i think that these senses far more important than the clothes your wearing.
Their sense of hearing is about equivalent to our own, the difference is their ears are like massive rotating dishes that allow them to augment and pin point sound direction. Their order of sense sensitivity is nose (crazy good), ears (good), eyes (Dedicated to motion and lowlight). Most Camo is designed to fool us being that we are detail vision dominate. It's easy to fool a deers eyes if you can be still or move very slowly. It's not hard to fool their ears if it is raining or you can be quiet. It's nearly impossible to fool their nose... having a spike sniff your legs to try and figure you out, that is something!

Shikari300WSM
10-03-2016, 10:54 AM
I like camo for both the tech and its looks. My whole getup cost about $70.
I like having designated hunting/camping clothing because:

A) When I put it on, I know its time to go into the woods and it's a great feeling. Just like putting on gym clothes before I hit the gym.

B) I can get it dirty, torn up, and roll around in dirt and mud and not really care.

C) I look cool.

To each their own I suppose.

LOL this is spot on for me as well. I remember reading an article in some outdoors magazine a while back and they were talking about the fact that deer can see the colour blue/grey as it stands out to them when they feed in first light/last light. Something like that anyway. Let's just say that after reading that I refuse to hunt in jeans and hunt with anyone wearing jeans. Who knows in all reality. I just feel like if we are wearing clothing representing the terrain, we might blend in a little better to the background sitting still instead of wearing solid colours.

sawmill
10-03-2016, 02:20 PM
I laugh when I see guys at the Petro Can dressed to the nines in Camo,head to toe. Even face paint. I always wonder if their gintch is camo too. I have seen camo toilet paper for sale.
I`m jeans and a green sweatshirt and a brown jacket. And whatever hat is close on the way out the door. Wood stock Brno 30.06 too. I do just fine.

walks with deer
10-03-2016, 02:36 PM
I wear orange always....

I am a father and a son I need to go home...

Orange has done some great tricks for me over the years..as other respectful hunters have backed off when they have seen me in a stalk.

And even given me thumbs up from km away when they have watched me take game from a couple km away..I also find orange great on my partners so I know where they are...

Except my little girl she where's pink...

Dlo11
10-03-2016, 03:51 PM
I have some camo hunting clothing simply because it is the easiest way to buy quiet, water resistant clothing that is suitable for hunting. I also use it to avoid been seen by other hunters at times, there are times I do not wish to have a conversation or have my hunt interrupted. But my favourite camo clothing is my SAX boxer shorts, they make me uber stealthy. ;)

Exactly those reasons

blindcast
10-03-2016, 04:24 PM
Been wearing wool jackets and wool pants and watching the wind for over half a century. Got close to a lot of deer and cut my tag on an awful bunch of them. Man smell sets their nerves on edge, they key in on quick movements and they're leery about certain sounds. It doesn't much matter if you're wearing a red and black check jacket or the latest camo, you need to manage scent, movement and sounds. If you need a uniform to feel you're hunting, have at her, just get home safe. And please don't shoot at anything sporting a red and black check mackinaw.

Bugle M In
10-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Camo just makes it easier for me to remember what to pack before I go.
I like that it is usually a fleece type material, making it quiet when walking and dries easily.
Wool is itchy for me to wear, and most of my camo is gore-tex (has to be for me, as I am out all day).
I only hunt 4 pt mulie season, or elk that need to be 6 pts, so, no worries with me out there, as I have to count points.
But, I do understand why some wear red/orange.
I will never wear blue jeans however, unless around camp.(polyester doesn't like sparks from the camp fire)
As for no scent clothing, I don't buy into that.
If you want success, stay down wind, regardless of what you wear.
I only use "borax" with some baking soda to wash my hunting clothes.

russm86
10-04-2016, 07:56 AM
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2014/07/video-new-study-sheds-light-what-deer-see

russm86
10-04-2016, 07:59 AM
I wear orange always....

Orange has done some great tricks for me over the years..as other respectful hunters have backed off when they have seen me in a stalk.

And even given me thumbs up from km away when they have watched me take game from a couple km away..I also find orange great on my partners so I know where they are...

I read/saw something recently that suggested blaze orange is actually dangerous in low light conditions, like dawn and dusk, as it tends to become the same shade/colour as deer. They showed examples that were pretty convincing, I will see if I can find it again...

ajr5406
10-04-2016, 08:22 AM
I read/saw something recently that suggested blaze orange is actually dangerous in low light conditions, like dawn and dusk, as it tends to become the same shade/colour as deer. They showed examples that were pretty convincing, I will see if I can find it again...

Guess it depends on what item is Orange? Im thinking of wearing an Orange hat, just to be on the safe side - even if this is true about the color in very low light - its probably still a safe bet.

skibum
10-04-2016, 08:38 AM
I wear orange always....

Same here -- my three small ones (and the dog) always wear orange while we are out - I prefer wool pants and surplus wool green army shirts. But I do have an orange hat that I have on my bag and set on a tree above where I am sitting. Just because I don't like always wearing a hat.

Salty
10-04-2016, 09:43 AM

No wonder I don't get much success road hunting that's it I'm going to Canadian Tire for camo seat covers :cool:

sawmill
10-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Guess it depends on what item is Orange? Im thinking of wearing an Orange hat, just to be on the safe side - even if this is true about the color in very low light - its probably still a safe bet.
Yeah ,at least you won`t get shot in the head.

Frango
10-04-2016, 10:41 AM
I can see that some people think wearing red is an important safety issue. Can anyone tell us on how hunting accidents here differ from an area that demands the wearing of red. Are there more or less? How many Hunting/ Gun accidents happen in BC? I can see the need in a very high density hunting area like Michigan or Rhode Island or many other USA states. In BC I am not sure. If we see more than 3 or 4 people in two weeks. We call it a zoo. Some hunting stats would be interesting.

todbartell
10-04-2016, 10:48 AM
needed no, effective - yes

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1383237_10151706793097992_15244457_n.jpg?oh=a0ede7 16e67a331b51389bb7656013f1&oe=5861C07C

capt hook
10-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Darn.... i got pine camo and hunted in Fir camo forest and i got skunked....
now i know why... next time i gotta be prepared and have pine , spruce , poplar , fir etc.

sausage lover
10-06-2016, 08:27 AM
Camo clothing ain't necessary you say??? Wash your mouth out with soap and say it ain't So!!! I wouldn't even think about going hunt'in on my quad without Camo! Camo clothing ain't necessary,Dear God Man! And you call your self a Hunter! For Shame on you for even think'in such a immoral though!!! I swear by Camo! I even gargle with dark green and black Tremclad paint so there ain't a glare off my teeth when I scream "Holy Shit" when I see a record book buck!!! Camo clothing ain't necessary he say's! For shame on you again!!! AHH HAAHAA! Good idea painting your teeth,that's why I can't get a buck my chompers glow against my camo outerware:lol:

czechsanchez
10-06-2016, 12:46 PM
No wonder I don't get much success road hunting that's it I'm going to Canadian Tire for camo seat covers :cool:

You also need a fullsize pickup and a browning sticker in the back window, bonus points if you don't own a browning.

Fella
10-06-2016, 01:19 PM
You also need a fullsize pickup and a browning sticker in the back window, bonus points if you don't own a browning.
My wife wants one of those stickers. I should tell her the only way to get one is if I buy a new X-bolt

SAHD2
10-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Wait..you guys don't have to wear orange out there? Here in Ontario orange vest and hat is law when gun hunting for deer

TheProvider
10-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Wait..you guys don't have to wear orange out there? Here in Ontario orange vest and hat is law when gun hunting for deer

No orange required SAHD2. Believe I grew up in Ontario hunting so it was quite weird to come out to BC and no longer have to wear it.

SAHD2
10-06-2016, 01:50 PM
No orange required SAHD2. Believe I grew up in Ontario hunting so it was quite weird to come out to BC and no longer have to wear it.

Huh, I'll be out there next year. Gonna feel strange not seeing everyone in orange. That being said in terms of the conversation being had here. We are pretty successful in Ontario and some guys wear orange head to toe. So I don't think the colour or pattern matters much for deer.

10-06-2016, 02:04 PM
Who cares what I wear?
does it give you an advantage? go out and see for your self... maybe it will.....
All I know is hunting isn't a fashion show for me... I just want to be dry and warm.... and quiet..... and 9 times out of 10 that's camo...

SR80
10-07-2016, 07:09 AM
That dry earth colour from first lite is a great solid colour. Blends in very well.

Walksalot
10-07-2016, 08:27 AM
I highly suspect that a person dressed in camo clothing which matched the surroundings perfectly would get busted if that person tried to move when the animal was looking in that persons direction. The same reason animals are more on alert on a windy day, they react to movement. I was in Value Village the other day and came across a made in Canada Codet red and black wood jacket for 9.00. I bought it and it is part of my hunting attire. Many years ago I was dressed in red and black Mackinaw coat and hat sitting on the edge of a cut block. A hunter wearing a hot pink sweater came out of the bush and put his rifle up in my direction. I was so scared I thought he was going to shoot me. In the end he dropped his rifle sudden like and quickly left the area. It would have made for much less anxiety had that person been carrying binoculars.
If a person researched what scent is comprised of people would realize there is no such thing as scent free, just ask a RCMP dog handler. Having said that, if it makes you feel you have a better advantage and more confident in a hunting situation by all means wear it. A mental positive attitude is huge in resulting in a successful end to a hunting trip.