PDA

View Full Version : Camping right on the deer trail?

MichelD
10-01-2016, 12:40 PM
A couple years ago I came across a spot with deer traffic from an upper wooded hillside to a logged bowl below. The old logging road crosses right across this hillside with the trees above, the bowl below.

I was thinking of going back there and my choices for camping are a couple kms away downhill and then driving uphill to hunt there or to pull off at a wide spot or turnout right along this road.

Will I disrupt deer traffic if I'm set up there, cutting wood, burning a campfire, etc?

The road gets a lot of truck and quad traffic anyway, I'll be just a little more of a permanent fixture for a few days.

Whonnock Boy
10-01-2016, 02:10 PM
I think it depends on how close to the bowl you are camping. Generally the deer will come out at dark, or shortly after, and hang out all night until just before first light, or shortly after. If they can see or hear you at your camping spot, it is likely you will push them off when you're getting mobile in the morning. Sound travels a good distance, especially on a cool, calm morning. I would be giving yourself a good buffer, or position yourself behind a bluff or stand of timber to minimize sound and visibility. My 2 cents....

howa1500
10-01-2016, 08:01 PM
A lot of what ifs... You might have an effect on the deer... You might not, however ive camped quite close to the same areas within 1 km where i have shot my deer.

For sure if youre trophy hunting its a bad move, big boys dont get that way by being brave.... But a meat buck who doesnt know any better will stay..