PDA

View Full Version : Penask plateau windmills

stan
09-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Quite the eyesore up sunset, I heard that it was called progress ?

adriaticum
09-30-2016, 06:31 PM
I was hoping nobody would get me started on this.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Damn. Was hoping common sense sense would prevail. Guess not.

Whonnock Boy
09-30-2016, 06:41 PM
What's the story here?

stan
09-30-2016, 06:45 PM
I grew up hunting and fishing up there, before the connector and the beetle. Now these ugly pieces of shit ruining the skyline with huge industrial traffic as a added bonus! Way to go Christie you greedy bitch.

vortex
09-30-2016, 07:08 PM
From what I hear about the ones near Pincher Creek, Ab all game animals hate the noise of them and they vacant the area for miles around.

Barracuda
09-30-2016, 07:19 PM
actually they are not that bad at all and game animals adapt very easily . I like them but there will always be uninformed naysayers and people that just don't like anything different. Its like all the treehugging bunnylovers that hate logging or mining or oil and gas yet use the end result..

Fella
09-30-2016, 07:24 PM
actually they are not that bad at all and game animals adapt very easily . I like them but there will always be uninformed naysayers and people that just don't like anything different. Its like all the treehugging bunnylovers that hate logging or mining or oil and gas yet use the end result..
About as big an eyesore as pipelines, dams, clear cuts etc...

Slinky Pickle
09-30-2016, 07:25 PM
Don't burn oil, don't burn coal, don't build a dam, don't build windmills..... but please let me keep my lights on and my hot tub warm.

Come on folks, region 2 and all it's energy suckers needs power and it has to come from somewhere.

adriaticum
09-30-2016, 07:30 PM
What's the story here?

http://zeroemissiondevelopments.com/zed-projects/pennask-wind-power-project/

Pennask Wind Power Project http://zeroemissiondevelopments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Pennask-map-150x113.jpg (http://zeroemissiondevelopments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Pennask-map.jpg)Click to enlarge

http://zeroemissiondevelopments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/map-bc.jpgThe Pennask Wind Generation Power Project is a ZED initiative to construct and operate a 15 Megawatt (MW), 5 turbine wind power generation project in British Columbia’s Thompson Okanagan region. ZED has developed the project in order to supply clean, renewable, greenhouse gas-free power to BC Hydro.
Construction is now underway during which an estimated 15 to 80 opportunities for contract employment have been created, and Turbines are expected to go up in late Fall 2016. Please click here (http://www.okanaganwind.ca) for regular updates.
Located approximately 44 km west of Kelowna, BC, the Pennask Wind Power Generation Project will supply enough electricity to power approximately 2,500 homes.
For more information on ZED’s wind projects please contact us (http://zeroemissiondevelopments.com/contact-us/).

Stone Sheep Steve
09-30-2016, 07:30 PM

Not sure what has happened with these new windmills but the talk was about keeping people away from these areas to remove any chance of vandalism.

Logging creates ungulate (and bear) feed in the absence of fires. Windmills don't.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-30-2016, 07:33 PM
About as big an eyesore as pipelines, dams, clear cuts etc...

Dams don't create feed for wildlife and they also bury key winter range. Clearcuts and pipelines actually create feed....even though fires are better.

stan
09-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Heard windmills were hard on migratory birds,but I'm no expert. Hope the loons that inhabit the area fly clear. Oh and by the way I believe there is a surplus of power right now so we should be able to " Heat our hot tubs" you wizards.

Surrey Boy
09-30-2016, 07:55 PM
I heard they're not profitable.

If they are, I'm all for it.

Slinky Pickle
09-30-2016, 08:22 PM
Oh and by the way I believe there is a surplus of power right now so we should be able to " Heat our hot tubs" you wizards.

According to many sources (Google is your friend) it's estimated that we will exceed maximum power output in a few years. Do you want to wait until the lights don't turn on to come up with other ideas? Also, we're still generating power in parts of the province from natural gas and diesel (http://www.energybc.ca/map/bcenergymap.html\) and many think that windmills and solar are better solutions.

We will always have the NIMBY group but I think we need to come up with some reasonable alternatives to what we currently have. I'll probably put solar on my roof in the next year or so. Not because I'll make money off it but because it makes sense and it's something I can make a difference doing.

stan
09-30-2016, 08:24 PM
Ya you live in Surrey

stan
09-30-2016, 08:28 PM
I won't have to look at your solar panels.dont forget site c ,that should add some megawatts for the Americans to use at bargain prices.

Slinky Pickle
09-30-2016, 08:35 PM
I won't have to look at your solar panels.dont forget site c ,that should add some megawatts for the Americans to use at bargain prices.

You don't really have to look at the windmills either... although they're not that visually disturbing. And yes, Site C will produce a fair bit of power.... in 10 years. What would you suggest we do in the mean time?

Surrey Boy
09-30-2016, 08:45 PM
You don't really have to look at the windmills either... although they're not that visually disturbing. And yes, Site C will produce a fair bit of power.... in 10 years. What would you suggest we do in the mean time?

Burn natural gas and coal, instead of burning diesel to ship it halfway around the world to burn there and drift back in the jetstream.

Quince
09-30-2016, 10:22 PM
Air pollution is an eyesore. You have to start building infrastructure somewhere. Id prefer covering the ridges of the north shore mountains since the largest power comsumption is the LML.
Green energy is the future people, wake the f--k up.

Surrey Boy
09-30-2016, 10:33 PM
A great source of renewable energy is bark mulch and woodchips. Way too much gets burnt for no reason other than to get rid of it. Shove that up your steam turbine.

Surrey Boy
09-30-2016, 11:25 PM
Air pollution is an eyesore. You have to start building infrastructure somewhere. Id prefer covering the ridges of the north shore mountains since the largest power comsumption is the LML.
Green energy is the future people, wake the f--k up.

YOU wake up. China is the future. India is the future. Western Civilization is done.

Asia's becoming great because they're not afraid of using what works. They don't buy what they can't afford. They aren't enabling their burdensome citizens to the point where those undesireables run the place.

Ontario is a great example of how well green energy works. And how naive Canadians are.

Don't be so naive.

Seth
10-01-2016, 07:26 AM
Did these just get erected in the last two weeks? We saw what looked to be the vertical column pieces on very very long low bed trailers along the side of the highway while returning from a hunt on the 17th.

Gun Dog
10-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Green energy is the future people, wake the f--k up.There's a wind turbine at the top of Grouse. I've never seen it spinning. Maybe during a storm.

Green energy is a crock because it's intermittent -- for every megawatt of solar or wind you a megawatt of backup [fossil fuel] power. Energy production and consumption need to be in perfect balance. Every watt generated must be consumed instantly. If you have some small projects (15MW) then the North American power grid is big enough to deal with it (because it's too small to matter).

A little project like Pennask mainly generates government tax credits and incentives. Good money in that.

Huevos
10-01-2016, 08:21 AM
Lots if "I heard this" on the topic. Part of what gun dog says is true about having backup power, but you don't need fossil fuel to back it up. Hydro, which we have lots of, can be turned on and off fairly quickly or compensate. I agree biomass is also a good idea, since we already have the bark/chips being burned, but these plant rarely run at capacity either. The dirt in the wood from skidding the logs turns to glass when it is fired and coats the boiler tubes making them less efficient. Usually it has to be shut down and chipped off by hand.
Ontario is great if you are a power producer. Some wind farms make $200/MW there. Solar contracts are around $600/MW. Problem is someone is still paying for that. The consumer gets screwed with having to pay for it. Most wind farms in Canada are also subsidized by your federal tax money. Up to $15/MW of power produced, so you all buy green power whether you like it or not. Now you can all feel good about caring for the environment.
As far as animals go, it won't be the wind turbines that affect the animals. They really do get used to the turbines quickly. The increased traffic and access that the win park brings to the area will affect the wildlife patterns the most.
As for aesthetics, I agree they aren't really pleasing to look at, but neither is a nuclear plant in your backyard.
ln order to hit the fossil fuel reduction targets that our country agreed to, we need to think small scale, as in every house, generates a portion of their own power consumption, but we are a long ways from an integrated grid that will allow for this. Just my thoughts... Look on the bright side. The wind park life span is only 20 to 25 years.

Omenator
10-01-2016, 08:38 AM
BC has a ton of hydropower potential. Hydro is green, and can be throttled quickly. Solar and wind need backup capacity. These wind projects are going to cost money, not make it. They exist to milk tax $.
BC needs nothing other than scrap wood turbines and hydro.
There is a parallel project going on near chain lakes, look on ZEDs website, it's called Shinish Creek. Right in the middle of where I hunt, so not happy about that.

ruger#1
10-01-2016, 09:19 AM
They look like great fire starters.

https://youtu.be/wfzgIxMEo8g

ruger#1
10-01-2016, 09:25 AM
YOU wake up. China is the future. India is the future. Western Civilization is done.

Asia's becoming great because they're not afraid of using what works. They don't buy what they can't afford. They aren't enabling their burdensome citizens to the point where those undesireables run the place.

Ontario is a great example of how well green energy works. And how naive Canadians are.

Don't be so naive. Have a good read. More money down the toilet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-electricity-plans-1.3780440

Quince
10-01-2016, 10:03 AM
You ever been to china? I have and the general population suffers with a toxic enviroment. Seems great to be walking around with mask on just to breathe outside... id rather see tax dollars go to green infrastructure than huge subsidies to oil companies... Why dont we just start burning coal again because its cheap?

ruger#1
10-01-2016, 10:08 AM
You ever been to china? I have and the general population suffers with a toxic enviroment. Seems great to be walking around with mask on just to breathe outside... id rather see tax dollars go to green infrastructure than huge subsidies to oil companies... Why dont we just start burning coal again because its cheap?What are their pollution standards?

Quince
10-01-2016, 10:12 AM
If you have enough money, polluting doesnt matter...

ruger#1
10-01-2016, 10:27 AM
If you have enough money, polluting doesnt matter... I did not ask that. They can put pollution scrubbers up. There are a lot of things they can do. There are things that they can also do to make coal less polutive. Canada puts out a lot less pollution then other country's. You think if they cared about pollution. That we would have expanded air care. Not shut it down. Instead lets throw a carbon tax on the people. We have the second largest carbon sink in the world. Next to Russia. Are we going to export all this electricity to the USA?

Spy
10-01-2016, 11:37 AM
We have thousands of wells drilled standing idle, geothermal is way forward, good for the environment and won't kill thousands of birds and bats. Show me anywhere in the world where these wind turbines are a success story, many might not know but if there is no wind they don't work too much wind and they don't work either.

Barracuda
10-01-2016, 11:40 AM
Europe and Australia and even in the states they work very well but there will always be people against them that slant and distort facts to say they are evil and bad just like the people that say hunting is bad

Spy
10-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Europe and Australia and even in the states they work very well but there will always be people against them that slant and distort facts to say they are evil and bad just like the people that say hunting is bad
Actually many are shutting down & going bankrupt. I will post some links later for you to read.

Barracuda
10-01-2016, 12:19 PM
don't forget to post the links that show they are doing well . http://www.vox.com/2016/8/19/12549516/wind-power-2015 .

ive seen them first hand and they are nothing short of amazing

Ozone
10-01-2016, 12:25 PM
I will post some links later for you to read.

And if its on the internet, it must be true.

goatdancer
10-01-2016, 03:19 PM
We have thousands of wells drilled standing idle, geothermal is way forward, good for the environment and won't kill thousands of birds and bats. Show me anywhere in the world where these wind turbines are a success story, many might not know but if there is no wind they don't work too much wind and they don't work either.

Geothermal requires electricity to continually circulate fluid. Hydro is becoming more expensive every year. That's putting a crimp into the growth of geothermal.

Spy
10-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Geothermal requires electricity to continually circulate fluid. Hydro is becoming more expensive every year. That's putting a crimp into the growth of geothermal.
Solar panels ;-)

Surrey Boy
10-01-2016, 06:23 PM
If you have enough money, polluting doesnt matter...

Thanks for waking up. Welcome to the rat race.

eric
10-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Wait, I heard all you LMLanders are going Electric,and cutting of all Natural Gas..
Going to need site A.B,C,D,E..etc etc..and all the windmills you can build..

HarryToolips
10-01-2016, 07:34 PM

Don't be so naive.
God, India and China are the worlds examples of too many fish in the fish bowl, if that's the future were screwed... And as said, their pollution problems will catch up to them, I at least hope so....now back on topic: ya the windmills are ugly, but I guess if they're a good source of renewable energy, maybe they'll be beneficial overall..I just hope there isn't going to be too many riddling the landscape...

AgSilver
10-01-2016, 07:53 PM
No options are without environmental impact, but wind farms are some of the lowest impact while generating some of the most efficient power...and better to have it in "the middle of nowhere" where it actually affects very few people's strong aesthetics on the issue. They seem to do well in Hawaii, too.

How can anyone be against green power generation? I don't understand it. "Oh no, something that will help preserve the wilderness that we love! HOW DARE THEY?"

And hydro, while efficient, is NOT without significant environmental impact.

358mag
10-01-2016, 09:08 PM
So how are getting the power from the windmills to the grind ?? another power line ??

ruger#1
10-01-2016, 09:09 PM
So how are getting the power from the windmills to the grind ?? another power line ?? No. They are using WIFI. LOL

Spy
10-01-2016, 09:55 PM
No. They are using WIFI. LOL
Hey Tesla could do it ;-)

358mag
10-02-2016, 08:45 AM
No. They are using WIFI. LOL
And the real scary part about that statement ruger is that the greenies and the treehungers believe it !!

wicket
10-02-2016, 04:18 PM
I live in Ontario, and we have hundreds of these f ing things. Here are some facts.
They do disrupt wildlife.... traditional migration routes are altered, prime habitat is vacated by waterfowl(i guide duck hunters and have seen this with marshes surrounded by mills) woodcock no longer use their traditional habitat on their migration that has been enveloped by wind mills.
We actually have to pay the state of New York to take our excess power.
Neighours fight with neighours because one family has mills and the others dont....the ones that dont are being driven mad by the noise they produce. In some cases people with babies and young kids have to sell their homes and move to areas without windfarms because the noise bothers the kids so much ...non stop crying.
Water wells are becoming so turbid from the ground vibrations these thing make that families have to truck in water.
There is no money set aside from the billions in subsidies for the wind mill de commissioning after their 20 yr life cycle....guess who will have to clean up that mess
It actually takes more fuel to fire up natural gas plants to ramp up production when the wind doesnt blow than if the damned things just ran at a constant rate.
Wind companies are lobbying to prevent hunting or shooting near wndfarms......and when they are everywhere that really limits opportunity.
The wind initiative here is all about money. Companies cashing in then cashing out when they fold.
Transmission routes need to be upgraded as that infrastructure is aging. The funny thing is that with all this green wonderful energy blowing the blades around we still get brown outs even though I can see no less than 75 flashing lights from the windmills from my front porch.
Absolutely disgusting and it is a real problem. The cnts that live in toronto that dont have to live by them or actually see the negative effects think they are the bees knees....yes i just typed that. You could say that I am a hard NO on the whole wind thing. I wish you guys luck.
Wicket

great now Im all worked up from typing all that. think ill go let my truck idle

sparkymacker
10-02-2016, 08:43 PM
I was up that way today, those things are huge! They are building a new high line up to the site, I guess they will put a switching station on the existing line on the other side of the Coq. ? My assumption is that there is going to be a huge exclusion zone around them. They definitely dominate the landscape, not sure in a good way. The only way that they are viable right now is through government subsidies.

Surrey Boy
10-02-2016, 08:53 PM
If this were economically viable, private enterprise would be all over it. You know it'll lose money because governments are the only parties interested.

Looking_4_Jerky
10-02-2016, 08:58 PM
The ungulates are most certainly going to leave. You guys should probably quit going there. Whole area is toasted. No good. Kaput.

Iron Sighted
10-02-2016, 11:18 PM
I live in Ontario, and we have hundreds of these f ing things. Here are some facts.
They do disrupt wildlife.... traditional migration routes are altered, prime habitat is vacated by waterfowl(i guide duck hunters and have seen this with marshes surrounded by mills) woodcock no longer use their traditional habitat on their migration that has been enveloped by wind mills.
We actually have to pay the state of New York to take our excess power.
Neighours fight with neighours because one family has mills and the others dont....the ones that dont are being driven mad by the noise they produce. In some cases people with babies and young kids have to sell their homes and move to areas without windfarms because the noise bothers the kids so much ...non stop crying.
Water wells are becoming so turbid from the ground vibrations these thing make that families have to truck in water.
There is no money set aside from the billions in subsidies for the wind mill de commissioning after their 20 yr life cycle....guess who will have to clean up that mess
It actually takes more fuel to fire up natural gas plants to ramp up production when the wind doesnt blow than if the damned things just ran at a constant rate.
Wind companies are lobbying to prevent hunting or shooting near wndfarms......and when they are everywhere that really limits opportunity.
The wind initiative here is all about money. Companies cashing in then cashing out when they fold.
Transmission routes need to be upgraded as that infrastructure is aging. The funny thing is that with all this green wonderful energy blowing the blades around we still get brown outs even though I can see no less than 75 flashing lights from the windmills from my front porch.
Absolutely disgusting and it is a real problem. The cnts that live in toronto that dont have to live by them or actually see the negative effects think they are the bees knees....yes i just typed that. You could say that I am a hard NO on the whole wind thing. I wish you guys luck.
Wicket

great now Im all worked up from typing all that. think ill go let my truck idle

Those natural gas facilities you referenced are called peaking plants, they are built and required for peak loads that are seen at different times of day. They are quite expensive to start up and run for a few hours at a time, that is why utilities are happy to have renewable energy offset part of the demand(when the wind is blowing, or when the rivers are running high in the case of run of river projects).

BC Hydro capitalizes on this by selling power to the U.S. during these peak load periods when they get a premium per MW/hr, then buy back power during off peak times at a reduced rate because there is a surplus on the grid in other markets. The U.S. is happy to do this because it is still cheaper to buy our power than to run(or build more) peaking facilities.

In theory these technologies can work together quite well. You need a solid source of base-load, reliable, on-demand power(hydro dams in B.C. historically fill that role, though natural gas plants could cover more of that given the amount of gas in Northern B.C. and how cheap and quick they are to construct and how cheap natural gas is as a fuel). The renewable sources are obviously not as reliable but when operating they do supply some of the load on the grid, allowing the large dams to back off their generators and theoretically bank more water behind the dam as stored energy to take up the load when the renewable sources inevitably slow down due to low winds or low stream flows in the winter.

The transmission lines that are being upgraded would have to be regardless of what type of new power is going to grid, moot point.

In B.C. there is little that can be done to stop hunting and shooting near the wind turbines as they are almost always on crown land and though a lease on the land can be held, the roads are public use right of ways that cannot be closed to general public(There are many documented cases of turbines being shot though, and ironically, around here at least, it's the coal mines that have somehow managed to get a no hunting/shooting ban in effect for a km around each mine site).

So people have to pack up and leave their homes because of the noise, yet people manage to live in cities and underneath flight paths(Richmond?). Shadow flicker from the blades at certain times of day in different seasons is a 100% legitimate complaint for those people with houses close enough to turbines though.

To the best of my knowledge, in B.C. at least, the companies that own the wind farms are obligated to decommission the projects at their own cost and are required to have an end of life plan in place prior to getting granted all the provincial operating approvals needed to construct, sounds like poor gov't management in ON to me.

You do make a valid point on the adverse effects on birds(and more often, bats). Typically gov't mandated mortality studies are done and mitigation steps are put in place if deemed suitable by the gov't based on the number of kills that are found and extrapolated. By no means does this entirely mitigate the problem, much as spawning channels around a dam do not have anywhere near 100% success rates for spawning fish(look at BC Hydro's "plan" for gerting spawning fish around the Site C project if you want to see what full ****** looks like.....). There is no perfect answer at this point, and no matter what type of generation source that is built, there will inevitably be a group of people to protest and complain about it, which is not entirely unreasonable as there are clearly some major detractors from each different source of production.

stan
10-03-2016, 05:46 AM
Anyway , they are ugly, it sucks having them up there, and finally they won't provide any benefit to me ,so therefore they suck.

Ozone
10-03-2016, 05:56 AM
The nimby is strong here

Slinky Pickle
10-03-2016, 06:32 AM
Thanks for that input Iron Sighted. Very well worded.

Salty
10-03-2016, 08:37 AM
The nimby is strong here

Uber strong.

Haven't seen them yet. But when I do I'll take a note from some here and if the visual offends my personal tastes I'll whine like a little bitch and write everyone I can think of to stop it. And site C. And the pipelines. Actually Walmarts just do me in I'd like all of them eliminated too.

buck400
10-03-2016, 08:53 AM
There all so putting them up on the north side of 8-7 saw on the weekend

Fisher-Dude
10-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Besides the devastating effects on birds and mammals, you should be VERY concerned about the alienation of Crown land for these asinine projects.

Say goodbye to hunting and fishing access, as more and more land is fenced off for mega windfarms.

scott h
10-03-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the project. I'm heading that way on the weekend and will try and get a look at the site. I've checked them out in Alberta , California , and in 4 or 5 European countries and they are quite impressive when you get up close. It seems the closer you get, the bigger they get :). I know they p!ss a lot of people off but I don't happen to be one of them. In my opinion everyone in society is using electricity and as such we are all responsible. It's got to come from somewhere and windmills, while not perfect, are probably the most benign method of producing it.
The future of transportation is changing quickly to electricity and they will very shortly end up consuming more power than our homes, so we better get the infrastructure up and running quickly.........

Iron Sighted
10-03-2016, 09:19 AM
Besides the devastating effects on birds and mammals, you should be VERY concerned about the alienation of Crown land for these asinine projects.

Say goodbye to hunting and fishing access, as more and more land is fenced off for mega windfarms.

Typically I agree with much(most) of what you say, but in this instance, I'm not sure. EVERY type of power generation has some impact on wildlife, I'm not convinced these are any better or worse than anything else, just a different sort of impact.

As for mega projects springing up everywhere, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon with Site C under construction. With that addditional capacity in the grid which already has a substantial surplus I doubt BC Hydro is going to be making another call for clean energy anytime soon. Micro projects like the ones in the Okanagan may still spring up because they don't have to go through the same processes if kept under a certain MW capacity, but large scale sites will likely be few and far between for some time with the addition of the new dam to our existing grid.

scott h
10-03-2016, 09:45 AM

Speaking about being hard on birds.........
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/irving-canaport-bird-kill-plea-1.3305351

russm86
10-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Nuclear is far better than any other power sources out there right now. No flooding entire valleys, no giant windfarms, and solar is just way too inefficient at this point. You are using something that comes naturally from the ground already and as long as it is completely depleted is perfectly safe afterwards and as long as you don't build the damned things on fault lines, tornado alleys, or coastal regions (***ishima) the facilities really aren't a danger. There are over 400 being used around the world as well as who knows how many nuclear powered subs and battle ships etc and since Chernobyl there haven't been any major catastrophes (***ishima was entirely preventable by location as mentioned above).

ruger#1
10-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Sorry Russ.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/technologyandresearch/fl/Hanford-Site-US-Scientific-Triumph-and-Environmental-Disaster.htm

f350ps
10-03-2016, 03:37 PM
Sorry Russ.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/technologyandresearch/fl/Hanford-Site-US-Scientific-Triumph-and-Environmental-Disaster.htm

Sorry Youtube.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwis5Ibx2L_PAhUI42MKHaSmAJMQFggkMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nei.org%2FWhy-Nuclear-Energy%2FClean-Air-Energy&usg=AFQjCNH5k4sXSb90uJSOuGfT99UUkedlgA&bvm=bv.134495766,d.cGc

There's over 70 Reactors under construction around the world right now, 5 in the US. K

ruger#1
10-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Sorry Youtube.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwis5Ibx2L_PAhUI42MKHaSmAJMQFggkMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nei.org%2FWhy-Nuclear-Energy%2FClean-Air-Energy&usg=AFQjCNH5k4sXSb90uJSOuGfT99UUkedlgA&bvm=bv.134495766,d.cGc

There's over 70 Reactors under construction around the world right now, 5 in the US. K And that one is leaking. Read it. It is along the Columbia river. Fish spawn through it into Canada.

ruger#1
10-03-2016, 04:31 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/03/heating-or-eating---a-harsh-reality-for-some-ontarians

Surrey Boy
10-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Nuclear energy is great if properly planned and maintained. It's actually quite expensive, though. Coal is still the most cost-effective.

ruger#1
10-03-2016, 04:59 PM
One of the farms in Abbotsford is running off of methane from the cow manure. All self sufficient. It also pushes power back into the grid. Renewable energy.

Surrey Boy
10-03-2016, 05:03 PM
One of the farms in Abbotsford is running off of methane from the cow manure. All self sufficient. It also pushes power back into the grid. Renewable energy.

Great idea, private enterprise innovating and producing, all without cost to taxpayers.

ruger#1
10-03-2016, 05:08 PM
This isn't the one. We send our rotten feed to a digester. It does the same thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cow-manure-renewable-energy-anaerobic-digesters_us_55c8f450e4b0f1cbf1e5d38c

wideopenthrottle
10-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Metro van built an expensive facility at Annacis island to accept waste for the digesters at the wastewater plant but it sits idle cuz of the private one out in abbotsford is cheaper for the waste producers to go there than the wastewater treatment plant.....can you say white elephant....

ruger#1
10-03-2016, 07:44 PM
The Abbotsford flea market is heated with methane from the old garbage dump. My father used to have to check on the compressors.

russm86
10-04-2016, 07:41 AM
Sorry Russ.

That is all from building nuclear weapons not nuclear power plants and is all over 6 decades old now, it was even before chernobyl, so obviously technology wasn't where it is today, could likely all have been stored and handled better...

russm86
10-04-2016, 07:42 AM
What about burning all our garbage in incinerators to produce power rather than filling the ground in giant landfills? 2 birds with one stone?

Surrey Boy
10-04-2016, 09:09 AM
What about burning all our garbage in incinerators to produce power rather than filling the ground in giant landfills? 2 birds with one stone?

There was a recent proposal to do that, but Nanaimo City Council refused it.

Schizophrenic reasoning at its best.

downsouth204
10-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Moved here from an area in southern Manitoba where windfarms have become common place over the last 10 years. Saw the same concern and resistance to them when they were first put up there. After a couple years, people and animals got used to them and though they were initially imposing on the skyline, they're now like highway speed limit signs in BC, they largely go unnoticed ;)
I was up on Bear Creek FSR hunting a week ago and saw the Windmills under construction, and I had a quick feeling of concern about the man made addition to the landscape. A few minutes to adjust and some thought and common sense, and I saw it as a cleaner source of power to keep the lights on and the furnace running, a useful directional beacon from any hilltop in the area, and a step in the right direction!

russm86
10-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Yea, there was also plans to build an incinerator to burn old railroad ties to produce electricity somewhere in the interior here too but it got squashed because some people thought it would cause too much pollution... People must think of how bad stuff was during the industrial revolution before anything was filtered/scrubbed when they oppose this kind of stuff...

Fixit
10-04-2016, 03:53 PM
heres what they look like as of last weekend
I hunt here, sure theyre not " pretty" but id rather see these then burning coal or diesel...

seems i cant upload the pict

orion
10-04-2016, 09:03 PM

Not schizophrenic reasoning. Most of us in Nanaimo figured the garbage should be burned in Vancouver where it was generated. A much greener proposal as it would avoid the environmental impact of trucking and barging it to Nanaimo. Vancouver even had a location suggested but didn't like the idea. Now that's schizo thinking.

Surrey Boy
10-04-2016, 09:30 PM
Not schizophrenic reasoning. Most of us in Nanaimo figured the garbage should be burned in Vancouver where it was generated. A much greener proposal as it would avoid the environmental impact of trucking and barging it to Nanaimo. Vancouver even had a location suggested but didn't like the idea. Now that's schizo thinking.

The smoke would've blown across Georgia Strait and ended up in Abbottsford anyhow. Better not let any high-paying industrial jobs on Van Isle.

If you want to live like a hippy, peace be with you. But don't expect me to join you or rescue you from its consequences. I'll be road hunting around my bait piles.

ruger#1
10-05-2016, 12:50 AM
What about burning all our garbage in incinerators to produce power rather than filling the ground in giant landfills? 2 birds with one stone?why not recycle. And use the organics for fuel. Less in landphils.

BigfishCanada
10-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Clean energy, im all for it!

ruger#1
10-07-2016, 10:18 AM
You ever been to china? I have and the general population suffers with a toxic enviroment. Seems great to be walking around with mask on just to breathe outside... id rather see tax dollars go to green infrastructure than huge subsidies to oil companies... Why dont we just start burning coal again because its cheap?

Carbon tax is a complete scam how do I know this, because China puts out 25% of all carbon emissions in the world not to mention India and others. Canada puts out 1.6% of all carbon emissions in the world. At present China is building coal fired power plants at a staggering rate actually one per week they have 151 plants in the works adding to over 2000 plants already in existence. China has no plans to reduce their carbon em...issions and no one will make them implement a carbon tax or reduction plan on their people.
What makes this an illegal heist of biblical proportions is that Trudeau just invested into the China Coal Bank this bank finances the coal industry in China and elsewhere, if Trudeau actually believed that carbon emissions are a problem he has just confirmed to me by his actions that he is lying to the Canadian people about global warming under the guise of extorting tax for Geroge Soros via the United Nation. I say it's a HEIST on a grand scale even if we went to zero carbon emissions the ever increasing amounts that China and India are dumping into the atmosphere will make our efforts of absolutely no effect. Why is the government doing this to us it doesn't make a bit of sense and why is the government not going to the people with a referendum?
In 10 years China will double their carbon emissions that's 50% of the worlds emissions, the united states has no intentions of implementing carbon tax and there emissions are already at 27% and the rest of the world is well over 23% when you do the math that's at least 100% as I said even if we bring our carbon emissions to Zero we will have lost the carbon war the simple fact is China, India, USA and other countries have no intention of reducing carbon emissions on the contrary countries like China, Brazil and India plan on increasing there carbon foot print at a staggering pace. My question again; why are we being taxed when we put out the least carbon emissions world wide. In 10 years we will have made absolutely no difference in the world carbon rate, mark my words at that time will you see the government say Oh we are sorry for this extortion absolutely not! the reason being they will have already stolen our money and at that point they won't give a fiddlers Dam!

Iron Sighted
10-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Definitely agree on the carbon tax. Unfortunately the obvious solution to the worlds problems is the one that no one wants to actually bring up........the fact that there are probably at least 4 billion too many damned people on this planet. Pretty hard to get people to agree to a cull or severely curb their breeding habits, lol.

ruger#1
10-07-2016, 07:18 PM
USA and Russian war might change that.

tipper
10-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Definitely agree on the carbon tax. Unfortunately the obvious solution to the worlds problems is the one that no one wants to actually bring up........the fact that there are probably at least 4 billion too many damned people on this planet. Pretty hard to get people to agree to a cull or severely curb their breeding habits, lol.
Agree with ya there, do you have kids? I never felt the need to add more to this already overpopulated world.

HarryToolips
10-07-2016, 09:13 PM
You are right, but it's the 3rd world countries doing all this crazy populating, not first world countries like us..

HarryToolips
10-07-2016, 09:14 PM
USA and Russian war might change that.
MAD...mutually assured destruction is what it would be...but if anybodies whacked in the head enough to do it, it's Putin..

Ruffed
10-07-2016, 09:55 PM

I agree, I think we should start burning coal again. It's cheap, we produce it. Any windmills or solar panels aren't made in BC but elsewhere so, we have to pay increased taxes so someone else can have a job in China or Germany...it makes no sense. Everything we need to generate power is already in BC....let's keep the jobs here instead of shipping them overseas.

ruger#1
10-08-2016, 12:55 AM
You are right, but it's the 3rd world countries doing all this crazy populating, not first world countries like us.. Must be why we are bringing in more immigrants?

mpotzold
03-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Latest
Wind turbines are unreliable, ugly, expensive, dangerous, short life span, will /could never even come close to meeting demand or be counted on…….Should be totally abandoned! PERIOD!

N.S. wind turbine goes up in flames yesterday
https://www.thevanguard.ca/news/local/west-pubnico-wind-turbine-destroyed-by-fire-292653/

Another N.S. collapse couple years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cftpZuHCrso

What to expect!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-j68Qs1b-s

So much for wind energy!
https://principia-scientific.org/twenty-one-flaws-with-wind-energy/

Bugle M In
03-18-2019, 12:19 AM
Used to travel to Vernon often, but after the breakup, I never went that way till 2 summers ago.
Really enjoyed that part of the drive back in the 90's til 2000.
To me it was interesting to see how the trees next to the highway that were now exposed were all being blown down.
Drove there a couple years back and couldn't believe it.
On the drive up, smoke filled the area, so I never saw the turbines.
On the way back, I couldn't believe how in less than 15 years how much had been logged.
The turbines were a surprise and yes not the most beautiful thing to see.
But then again, with not trees around neither was the rest of the area.
Want power, there has to be a way to provide it.
Far less damaging than hydro dams (large scale ones) to the habitat I suppose.
See them on Maui as well now.
Get used to it.
Solar panels I guess one day too.

MOOSE MILK
03-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Hunted near Guiliam Lake this year, surprised to see the horizon lined with the windmills. A honey hole of mine which is quite near the mills was totally with out any sign. I spent a couple of days in the area and was amazed at how loud these thing were, I was wondering if that would disturb the critters. I moved off several klicks to another honey hole and lo and behold it was just like I remembered it, full of critters!
I was wondering if others found that the game moved out of the area or do they just get used to the noise.

Piperdown
03-19-2019, 06:29 AM
I tested the incinerators in the GVRD for many years, one of the cleanest systems i have tested, we would routinely have to test for longer periods of time (longer than the test methods required) to obtain any measurably particulate and heavy metals.

Bugle M In
03-19-2019, 12:24 PM
I tested the incinerators in the GVRD for many years, one of the cleanest systems i have tested, we would routinely have to test for longer periods of time (longer than the test methods required) to obtain any measurably particulate and heavy metals.

I was jut thinking about this the other day, so interesting it was brought up.
I think the USA Aircraft Carriers, with 5000 + men/women on them make tons of garbage.
I think they are experimenting with some sort of "PLASMA" Incinerator!
Basically breaks down everything to their most basic, non harmful components.

knothead
03-19-2019, 05:46 PM
They kill birds of prey

scott h
03-20-2019, 04:29 PM
I think the USA Aircraft Carriers, with 5000 + men/women on them make tons of garbage.
I think they are opening a new plant in Edmonton using a form of gasification. Seems like a great way to get rid of garbage and produce power at the same time. Burying it or shipping it to asia doesn't seem to be working that good.

Striksfromabove
04-21-2019, 10:30 PM
I’ve seen a YouTube video where a windmill knocks a soaring condor clean out of the air. Also heard in some areas they take a heavy toll on small birds also. School groups had to stop tours with a carpet of dead. IRC’s on the ground.

IslandWanderer
04-21-2019, 11:19 PM
Quite the eyesore up sunset, I heard that it was called progress ?

Poor you! The view is ruined!

Ride Red
04-22-2019, 06:26 AM

https://www.pyrogenesis.com/projects/us-navy-development-of-compact-waste-destruction-system-for-the-cvn-21-programme-aircraft-carriers/

They used to throw their garbage overboard.

ducktoller
04-23-2019, 09:34 PM
Not a fan of windmills. Im an econut and generally seems like solar, nuclear (accident tolerant non prolif fuels), geothermal are the way to go.

Solar is crap bang for buck.