PDA

View Full Version : Identifying game trails with Google Earth

elch jager
09-30-2016, 02:39 PM
So... about a week before we go for elk and I am dropping pins on my map so I have a few spots to hunt. Got a couple sub alpine meadows at least a km or two hike from any road, water nearby, dark timber... In between, through the dark timber we have the following area... do you think these are game trails? Old runoff? both? Samsquatch paths? I have not hunted this area before... any thoughts? Once I hike into the timber I am sure I'll find out. Just wondering if these are high traffic game trail areas, then I can focus on these...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/riseform/game%20trails.jpg

Ddog
09-30-2016, 03:25 PM
kinda find it hard to believe game trails would show up on GE, they dont push trees down to make a path,,,maybe im wrong,,jmo

Fish Nutz
09-30-2016, 03:29 PM
I would venture a guess that they are streams or draws. To me it looks like smaller streams flowing into bigger, etc. The more prominent ones will be your wider deeper gullies. If you have access to a topographic map (iMap) i'm sure you will find that the elevation contours support this theory.

Cheers

adriaticum
09-30-2016, 03:30 PM
You're in for a surprise
Google earth never reflects current status.

HarryToolips
09-30-2016, 06:23 PM
I would venture a guess that they are streams or draws. To me it looks like smaller streams flowing into bigger, etc. The more prominent ones will be your wider deeper gullies. If you have access to a topographic map (iMap) i'm sure you will find that the elevation contours support this theory.

Cheers
what I was thinking....

HarryToolips
09-30-2016, 06:23 PM
You're in for a surprise
Google earth never reflects current status.
Ya it's too bad....I wonder when they'll finally update GE....

adriaticum
09-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Ya it's too bad....I wonder when they'll finally update GE....

I don't think it will be in real time for some time yet

caddisguy
09-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Looks like streams/drainages to me. You won't be able to see game trails via satellite but you can tell where there will be game trails based on the terrain.

For mountains there will always be trails going up drainages and for each saddle along the way there will be an intersecting trail.

If it's a valley bottom or in the flats then you can really only guess based on habitat... logical feeding and bedding areas.

scotty30-06
09-30-2016, 06:42 PM
Real time GE has major privacy and protection issues....would be every stalkers dream to have live feed....i know this from someone in survallince....some serious public safety issues

caddisguy
09-30-2016, 06:48 PM
Real time GE has major privacy and protection issues....would be every stalkers dream to have live feed....i know this from someone in survallince....some serious public safety issues

Lol I'd just keep refreshing and watch where some of our members trucks go!!

caddisguy
09-30-2016, 06:48 PM

Lol I'd just keep refreshing and watch where some of our members trucks go!!

dracb
09-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Those patterns do not look entirely natural. I suspect you are looking at a combination of natural land forms with a bit of human terraforming superimposed on them.

adriaticum
09-30-2016, 07:34 PM

It doesn't matter, for cash, they will do anything.
I just think that the technology is not there.It may never be there.
So you need a powerful telescope to zoom in and provide a live feed.
But imagine if 1000 people request a zoom at 1 time.
That's a lot of money in satellites and telescopes.

It's not feasible, yet.

Slinky Pickle
09-30-2016, 07:37 PM
I think you're looking at natural disruptions rather than game trails but only boots on the ground will tell. Just as a check, take a look at the same area on Bing maps. Sometimes it's more up to date... sometimes not.

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview

boxhitch
09-30-2016, 08:34 PM
Those patterns do not look entirely natural. I suspect you are looking at a combination of natural land forms with a bit of human terraforming superimposed on them.
Yupp, Nazca lines , didn't work out in the Boreal so they moved their work south
archaeoastronomic site

dracb
09-30-2016, 08:48 PM
Actually I was thinking more of a D8 or similar device rather than moving pebbles. Those lines do not all look like natural drainage lines since some of them cross or join adjacent line patterns.

Buckmeister
09-30-2016, 09:18 PM
For a price, GE can be updated in certain sections. Last year I checked on an area I used to live in that hadn't been updated since GE's inception, but I was pleased to find someone had ponied up the cash to get some pics that were now only a few months old.