PDA

View Full Version : B.C. wide bear complaints up sharply.....

skibum
09-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Yet I have not seen one in the bush in three years :icon_frow hunting them. I have ran into wolves twice, seen tonnes of deer, moose, lynx, fox...... you name it around the loops. But no bear. I even had a bear tear into my shed last year.

Seriously considering calling...... here beary beary bear.

Sorry rant over -

caddisguy
09-30-2016, 10:40 AM
I guess it depends where you are. Not certain of the context but "bc wide" probably does not mean consistently throughout all of BC and could just mean overall. The last two years seem to have been pretty ridiculous around the Fraser Valley. During our last trip a couple weeks back, we were still finding fresh sign in the valley bottom where we normally don't see much after July/August. I don't even know what they are eating now... seemed like rose hips. Maybe they decided to stay because knocking down my trailcams is so much fun!! :)

Red_Mist
09-30-2016, 10:47 AM
I saw 11 bears last week. All were fat and healthy. Rose hips for sure but also lots of blueberries out there still. Plus I saw less wolves so maybe the bears got some fawns and calves.

caddisguy
09-30-2016, 10:56 AM
I saw 11 bears last week. All were fat and healthy. Rose hips for sure but also lots of blueberries out there still. Plus I saw less wolves so maybe the bears got some fawns and calves.

Not even any blueberries around where we were and still bears... just bizzare

kebes
09-30-2016, 11:00 AM
I had one trying to get into my garbage in PG last year on December 10th :o

Tons of bears around PG. Pretty much the only thing I see consistently around here.

Bistchen
09-30-2016, 11:16 AM
Ive seen lots of bears in august and september of this year , and many were grizzlies.

Elkaholic
09-30-2016, 11:53 AM
But... but.. but don't we have an issue with there not being enough bears in BC? Or grizz bears for that matter? All the city folk keep telling me that are a species at risk. BS aside I personally have seen more bears this fall in my area than I can ever remember, it has our group stocked with bear tags and ready to hand out some dirt naps to help the game.

Mulehahn
09-30-2016, 12:23 PM
It is still September right? It is no where near time for them to be denning up. They have moved lower though.

That being said, there can be no doubt that the population has increased to a point that it cannot be sustained. Either hunters reduce there numbers or nature will. And hunters are a lot more humane. The rest will move into the cities and more problems will arise.

butcher
09-30-2016, 01:35 PM
Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bear around here lately.

skibum
09-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Telling me all about your bear sightings, did not help me feel better ;)

I am usually sitting early morning and evening - explore during the afternoon on foot (with a little nap here and there). Should I change this up to driving the truck around and glassing cuts - or keep up the same strategy because I have just been unlucky?

I am beginning to think my ungulate hunting strategy does not carry over well to bear hunting as I need to see more country??

RiverOtter
09-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Forget deer tactics and don't fret missing the morning hunt. I don't hunt bears in the fall, spring is where it's at. Head out early afternoon looking for sign along low traffic grassy roads, then hit that area early evening on foot.

Surrey Boy
09-30-2016, 06:02 PM
Come to Van Isle for all the bear you'll ever want.

the force
10-01-2016, 11:49 AM
Haha, come out to Barhartvale, lotsa bears.

walks with deer
10-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Seen 5 grizzly this season so far... and two cougar..

Seems like predator population is high...
1 of the grizzly I saw was in region 3 and he had a real nasty attitude.