PDA

View Full Version : 3-31 - Big Bar Lake - Mule deer

chrscott
09-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Hello All,

I will be heading up to Big Bar Lake (3-31) for about 5 days, during the last week of October. I will be camping near Big Bar Lake (on private land). I am wondering if any one can share some info on hunting mule deer bucks, in the area?

I have been reading through some of the old threads, and found some conflicting info... Some guys seem to say to look for deer up high. Some guys say to look down low.

I was planning to start on Big Bar Mountain, hike some of the game trails, and do a lot of glassing. Consensus seems to say that the bucks come down to feed at night, and head back up in the evening. Is this correct?

Counter to this, some guys say they are down lower by the river.

Wondering if I should start high, or start low?

What is their movement pattern at this time of year (right before rut)?

Is Big Bar Mtn a good place to start, or should I be in a totally different area (nearer to the lake)?

Any info you guys can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

mikeman20
09-29-2016, 03:10 PM
I went there two years back in late Oct, little dusting of snow on the ground. I saw a few does nearer to the river, but it was a maze of dead end and gated roads. Found lots of sign near the power line cut, but I think they will vacated well before light. Good luck!

warnniklz
09-29-2016, 04:50 PM
The Fraser river breaks seem to be pretty consistent from PG right down to the Fraser Canyon.

The moon should be in your favour for the last week of October. Last quarter to new moon. So the deer will probably do a one or two things, if not both. #1 - They'll move at first light and last light. So try and intercept them from their bedding area to feeding area. #2 They'll bed down at night and be more active during the day.

Then depending on the weather will also change activity. If it gets cold and a good dumping of snow up high, it should push the big bucks down low.

Just be ready to change your game plan

curly_fishr
09-29-2016, 05:01 PM
That area is a gong show in October , I would hold off until November if I were you.

swampthing
09-29-2016, 06:30 PM
Bucks will be getting closer to the does. They will probably be out of the high country. Don't let crouds stop you. There is always somewhere to hunt!

chrscott
09-30-2016, 07:40 AM
Thanks mikeman. I was looking on google maps, and got the same impression, that it is a freakin' maze. Especially on the mountain. Thanks for the tip on the powerline.

chrscott
09-30-2016, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the info on the moonphase and deer movement warnniklz. Any idea what they are eating at the end of October?

Are they hitting farmers fields? Or are they looking for food around water sources?

The Fraser river breaks seem to be pretty consistent from PG right down to the Fraser Canyon.

The moon should be in your favour for the last week of October. Last quarter to new moon. So the deer will probably do a one or two things, if not both. #1 - They'll move at first light and last light. So try and intercept them from their bedding area to feeding area. #2 They'll bed down at night and be more active during the day.

Then depending on the weather will also change activity. If it gets cold and a good dumping of snow up high, it should push the big bucks down low.

Just be ready to change your game plan

chrscott
09-30-2016, 07:47 AM
Thanks swampthing and curly fisher. Usual story, Me and my 2 hunting partners only have a small window that we can be up there, so we are locked in to the last week of October. We are committed to hunt hard.

Step one will be finding where the deer are (easier said than done), and then getting away from the crowds.

I'm not asking for your honey-hole, but any tips on some lesser known spots would certainly be appreciated (maybe pm me)?

Thanks,
Chris

Bucks will be getting closer to the does. They will probably be out of the high country. Don't let crouds stop you. There is always somewhere to hunt!

Buck
09-30-2016, 08:41 AM
I have seen several times really nice bucks crossing the highway from the Chasm area heading west towards Big Bar.There are deer all through the area not just by the marbles good luck.

sabourin
09-30-2016, 09:25 PM
I'll be up there next weekend. I'll let you know how it was.

chrscott
10-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info Buck. I'll stay away from the Marbles then.

sabourin, yes please, let me know what you see.

I will be sure to do a bit of a trip report when I get back too.

Thanks,
Chris

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-01-2016, 09:32 PM
I would research the area on the other side of the freeway better access easier to hunt and way more deer.

Phila
10-14-2016, 11:32 AM
"Other side of the freeway" ? Is this "Fraser" autocorrected? Or highway 97?

David Heitsman
10-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Stayed at the Big Bar Guest ranch maybe 10 years ago with Half Slam. Hunted quite a bit but only bucks we saw were on the private ranches by the river.

XPEIer
10-15-2016, 06:16 AM
We spent Thanksgiving there, seen a few does, very very quiet except for 500 road hunters. Mountains were covered in snow then, so they should be pushed down lower soon.

xpeier

Banjo
10-15-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't think buck meant to stay away from the marbles . Just that there are also deer elsewhere. Marbles are good

MichelD
10-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Was there for a November moose LEH draw. Hiked in the timber, sat at game crossings for hours, saw tons of tracks, never saw a moose or a deer.