PDA

View Full Version : 757-A Bison Hunt December

nedarb2
09-28-2016, 07:57 PM
I am going up for my Christmas break to hunt the 16-31st December zone "A" bison hunt. Going to hunt 19th-31st for 1 tag.
Im doing my homework now and getting everything lined up. Going to stay at Blueberry - but not sure if we will stay at main cabins or horsecamp.
If anybody else is planning to hunt during that time, OR the 1-15th of December draw would love to connect.

Does anyone have a snowmobile rental company to suggest we use? Must be between Victoria and Fort St. John, rentals in fort st john are limited and pricey from phone calls already placed. Ive heard of a Kamloops rental place but that's too far out of the way.

Also looking for photos / comments about the "horse camp" cabins in particular - but if anyone wants to post photos of past hunts would love to see your setups/adventures.

thanks

Bear Chaser
09-28-2016, 10:20 PM
Took a look in the Horse Camp cabins this spring. Be comfortable enough if they were cleaned out and the mouse shit removed and disinfected.
Unless the proprietors of the cabins are providing wood be prepared to cut and haul your supply from about one quarter to one half mile away. Plenty of deadfall spruce in the area just not right outside the cabin doors. Decent water in the creek beside the cabins when it is flowing. Might be frozen then depending on temps.
The big plus is there is a chance to take your bison within a mile or two depending on how much hunting pressure there is. Definitely less bison hanging out in the main valley compared to ten years ago.

PGFullMonty
09-29-2016, 02:12 PM
PM'd you!!!

kobus
10-04-2016, 02:41 AM
was just up there scouting have some pics of horse camp and what ever info you need

afors
10-08-2016, 07:10 PM
Will be hunting Dec 1-15...

Skull Hunter
10-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Good luck, I had that draw 2 years ago. Hunting almost the whole time frame and did not see a single bison. We stayed at tompters cabin and took the bypass around the ranch every day. It was a bit more effort, but for the prices the ranch asks I'd probably do it again.

We went by horse camp several times but did not peak inside. seemed like a decent place for a basecamp. You'd be the first one to the back end of the valley every day.

I think you want to hope for a heavy snowfall to push the animals down into the valley. The year we were there, there was barely enough for the sleds. I think the bison were in the heavy timber partway up the mountains. With the lack of snow they could have easily moved across ranges as well.

CaribooBC
10-08-2016, 11:18 PM
Horse Camp is worth it if the Bison are down in the valley. We stayed there 3-4 years ago and got ours just a km or two from camp. We were there the first week of December, lots of snow and cold (-36C overnight). It does take quite some time to get your gear into camp, the trail gets very beat up and it is tough on your equipment to be towing at more than 15-20km/h. Horse camp is about 25km from the main Blueberry Ranch. Try to have enough room in your skimmers to be able to have everything brought in, in one trip. Forget the beer, they will be frozen and cans split open if it is cold (bring whiskey, it doesn't freeze!). Do not believe them if they say there are stoves, mattress pads, wood etc. at camp. BRING YOUR OWN. Most nights we had Bison walk right through camp, past our sleds! The nights will be very long, daylight from about 9:00am til 3:00pm max. Good quality headlamps are good to have. Forget about the small cabins, stay in the big one. You will need the space to dry and store your gear at night, the small cabins would be really cramped for two or more people. Call Performance All Terrain (Honda, Can Am dealer) in 100 Mile House, they may have rental sleds.

Cogito
10-09-2016, 09:36 PM
Hello, we have two draws for same time can you call me so we can chat
Raj 604-716-4455

Darksith
10-10-2016, 01:47 AM
I have maps for sale

Maybe even a sled cheap

xfactor
10-10-2016, 05:28 PM
I have maps for sale

Maybe even a sled cheap

Details on the sled pls.

nedarb2
10-10-2016, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info and advice everyone! I am soaking it all in

spikeforklake
10-12-2016, 07:29 AM
I stayed at Sasquatch in the camp, was cheap, only $50 per night but had hot showers and TV. We went around the ranch every day. We had a ton of snow before we got there and found that the Bison went up high in the mountains where there was bare hills sides to feed rather than hang out low in the valley. As soon as I hiked up high on one of those slopes about 15-20 kms past the ranch there was tracks and sign everywhere, only took a couple days up high and glassing to find them up high on other mountainsides. Easiest way to find them is to glass and get on foot, bring snowshoes too. I rented my sled from the Kamloops place called Variable Rentals, was by far the cheapest and brand new tundra sleds. Think our bill was 2k after taxes for trailer, two sleds, and two tobbagans for 7 days, they have other sleds too for less. Another good place to rent would be Spectra powersports out of Williams Lake, they have great touring sleds for a good rental rate

northernbc
10-12-2016, 09:06 AM
also sled rentals at peace country rentals
in ft st john

nedarb2
10-12-2016, 03:08 PM
Reserved my sleds from the guy in Kamloops today. Almost 1000$ cheaper than fort st. jonhn places and 500$ less than prince george/williams lake dealers, so worth the extra 1-1/2hr of driving in my opinion. very excited! booked into the blueberry cabins. going to start at main lodge then move to horsecamp as/if necessary

10-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Nedarb2 ...... Hey congrats to the getting the draw. I hope it's the later draw for Dec, but the early one can work out too. Beg, pray, wish, do any thing you can to get snow, and lots of it. It's the most vital component to being successful on your hunt besides busting your nads. If no snow, almost a no go. But, your hard work, dedication and perserverance is what will get you a Totonka ...... Consider it a once in a life time hunt and give ER your best. Although several have drawn numerous times, it think it's terribly not fare. That said, be prepared for very very cold conditions, do nothing alone, crap happens. Extra fuel, oil, belts, fire starter you name it. Have a great time, be safe, we look forward to your stories and pics.

CT

whitlers
10-12-2016, 06:11 PM
Stayed at blueberry 5 years ago for my early draw. Ended up shooting mine around the corner from horse camp.

If I went again, I would stay in horse camp.