PDA

View Full Version : Counting Elk Tines

Arctic Lake
09-28-2016, 10:45 AM
When counting tines on a 6 point elk I see that you count the tines that seem to protrude straight out from the skull as well. Is this what are called eye guards ? Could someone post some picks of legal 6 point elk. I find the hunting regulations illustrations are poor.

Thanks

Arctic Lake

Ron.C
09-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Look in the regs at the written definition and pic of what constitutes a tine. it is quite clear. If an elk has 6 or more tines "points" one antler that meet this definition then it meets the criteria for a minimum of a 6 point elk and is legal in a 6point antler restriction area.

Mikey Rafiki
09-28-2016, 11:14 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?109800-How-to-Gauge-a-6pt-Elk

Read this, then see if you have more questions. There are tons of other threads on here too. Just needs to be 6 tines on one side, no matter what you want to call them.

Arctic Lake
09-28-2016, 01:18 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?109800-How-to-Gauge-a-6pt-Elk

Read this, then see if you have more questions. There are tons of other threads on here too. Just needs to be 6 tines on one side, no matter what you want to call them.

Okay thanks so far !

I read the thread ! Some people talk about counting the royal . Is a Royal not a 6x6 Elk ?Or can it be a 6x5 elk as well ,which would still be legal.

I also think what causes me confusion is that with say a typical mule deer there is a definite brow tine which you don't count when your looking for a four point. Do they call the eye guard tines on an elk a brow tine ?

Not trying to be a pain just looking for a certain on this subject .
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Arctic Lake
09-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Look in the regs at the written definition and pic of what constitutes a tine. it is quite clear. If an elk has 6 or more tines "points" one antler that meet this definition then it meets the criteria for a minimum of a 6 point elk and is legal in a 6point antler restriction area.

Hi Ron
Sorry but I find the illustration in the regualtions a poor one .

coach
09-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Count all the points on an elk. Count points above the brow tine on mule deer.

ryanb
09-28-2016, 01:26 PM
The Royal tine on an elk is the one that looks like a continuation of the main beam, and sticks straight up. On a typical elk this is the 4th point. So a fork after this tine which is easy to pick out indicates a six point. You MUST still count all the points though... Some elk are missing points they should have either through breakage or non-typical mutations.

elch jager
09-28-2016, 01:48 PM
The Royal tine ... You MUST still count all the points though... Some elk are missing points they should have either through breakage or non-typical mutations.

...which is a fault in this method of gaging a bull's maturity. The whole point of 6 pt only is to target hunter effort on the smallest % of the herd which is also the hardest to hunt. There are some huge mature bull's out there that don't have 6 points and might not ever develop them. Could be that we see more and more of them if they are protected and do more of the breeding?

.308SLAYER
09-28-2016, 01:51 PM
Anything 1 inch and over on and elk rack is considered a tine or a point

ryanb
09-28-2016, 03:57 PM
...which is a fault in this method of gaging a bull's maturity. The whole point of 6 pt only is to target hunter effort on the smallest % of the herd which is also the hardest to hunt. There are some huge mature bull's out there that don't have 6 points and might not ever develop them. Could be that we see more and more of them if they are protected and do more of the breeding?

True, but the only alternative is shorter seasons or leh... There is no viable alternative to a six point season other than no season.

Arctic Lake
09-28-2016, 04:57 PM
Thanks to all of you fellas for replying ! I got it now !

Arctic Lake

morris
09-28-2016, 07:39 PM
Count total points...once you hit 11 shoot ...

358mag
09-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Count total points...once you hit 11 shoot ...
Might be a tough call for some ......

Arctic Lake
09-29-2016, 07:01 AM
Might be a tough call for some ......

Good One 358mag !

Let's see, all digits on both hands plus one more ! LOL !

Arctic Lake

finaddict
09-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Good One 358mag !

Let's see, all digits on both hands plus one more ! LOL !

Arctic LakeFor some reason I foresee a few mathematically challenged gents running around shooting at elk with their pants down.........

palmer
09-29-2016, 01:04 PM
The Royal tine on an elk is the one that looks like a continuation of the main beam, and sticks straight up. On a typical elk this is the 4th point. So a fork after this tine which is easy to pick out indicates a six point. You MUST still count all the points though... Some elk are missing points they should have either through breakage or non-typical mutations.

I thought the 4th point was the DAGGER or DOG Catcher...the royal would be the seventh point on one side making it a royal elk...but I could be wrong...

Mikey Rafiki
09-29-2016, 02:54 PM

I hunted in the East Kootenays my whole life, where there is likely more pressure for a 6 point season than anywhere else in the Province. I've also spent tons of time shed hunting and glassing herds in the hundreds in wintering range.

I've only ever seen one 5 pointer that I would say was a mature bull and would likely not grow a 6th point in the future. I've seen tons of bulls that people say are big mature 5's but it they are under 300 inches they have a few years left to grow.

tinhorse
09-29-2016, 03:02 PM
I think Ive seen more mature 5 points up in the Northern Rockies area. Not so many in the Kootenay regions.

tinhorse
09-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Maybe why theyve had 5 point and 3 point seasons in areas up there...