PDA

View Full Version : Badlands 2200 pack opinions

johnnylaw
09-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Looking at getting a new pack for elk hunting and thinking about this pack. Anyone out there run one of these and if so how do you like it?

Good2bCanadian
09-28-2016, 10:51 AM
I have one.
My opinion

Too big as a day pack
Too small as a multi day pack ok for overnighter

I now use a Superday for my day pack.

Ron.C
09-28-2016, 11:00 AM
I used one for about 4 years. Was a great pack quality wise, but like stated above, found it an odd size for a do it all pack.

Fella
09-28-2016, 11:20 AM
I have one.
My opinion

Too big as a day pack
Too small as a multi day pack ok for overnighter

I now use a Superday for my day pack.
can you haul a deer or black bear out with the super day?

Good2bCanadian
09-28-2016, 11:28 AM
can you haul a deer or black bear out with the super day?

Yes I could.
I could also haul a deer or blackbear out with no pack if required.

2200 will pack an animal better than a super day because it has that big orange "meat curtain" you remove to strap the meat to. If I planned serious packing of meat over great distances, I would choose a frame pack vs the 2200.

I still own my 2200 and I have done overnighters with it, but I find the size somewhat stuck in the middle for what I would really want.

allan
09-28-2016, 11:56 AM
I've hauled deboned deer in mine, used it for overnighter ( but then no room for meat)
my friend has hauled small moose quarters with his short distance.

Squamch
09-29-2016, 08:11 AM
I have a really long torso, the only "day" packs that fit me that I've tried are the 2200 and the Diablo. Ended up going with the Diablo because I caught an excellent sale at island outfitters. I will probably sell it off in favour of a 2200 after this season.

Vladimir Poutine
09-29-2016, 10:28 AM
PM has been sent

Wentrot
09-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Used a friend's 2200 for a while but didn't really like it. Odd size and wasn't comfortable with a load.

twoSevenO
10-08-2016, 07:22 PM
If you're looking for a daypack I would suggest a badlands Point pack. I have it and it is awesome as a day pack. Top loading, unlike the 2200 so you can stuff it with bulkier items. But it also has a zipper around the back so you don't have to undo the straps. However, as with most day packs, this will NOT work if you plan to hunt elk and carry meat in it. It's really not going to be comfortable for that. The suspension is not adequate, and the Point i have doesn't even have suspension! The hip belt on these things is more for keeping the pack from swinging around than it is for providing load carrying assistance.

Having said that i've day hiked with 20lb of stuff in my Badlands Point just fine. Hauling 50lb of meat? .... Maybe 1/4 mile or so at best. The packs are built super tough, the suspension in them is just not designed to pack big loads.

I use mine for day hunts and day hikes where i know i won't be packing the animal out. Holds my game processing kit, spotting scope, tripod and extra clothes perfectly. They are pricey, but i got mine for $130 on sale at Cabelas in the USA. Even with the exchange it was still a lot less than the $250 plus tax they want here.