PDA

View Full Version : My biggest grouse yet!

DarekG
09-27-2016, 09:05 PM
After having a huge Black Bear run away from me two weeks, literally as I was shouldering my rifle - I was feeling down. I got excited and missed a shot on a Grouse that day as well. Not the ideal start to the hunting season.

Today I went out with my bro in search of Whitetail, and possibly Elk - But I've learned to always bring a .22! Spotted this guy comfortably perched on a log about 40 yards away and shot his neck off! This is easily the biggest Grouse I've ever seen, let alone harvested.

While we didn't get any big game, I was still feeling proud about this guy, and my standing shot with the .22, I necked him and he dropped on the spot.

http://i.imgur.com/c2P2Am6.jpg

Not to mention probably the first Grouse I've harvested with no damage to the good portions of the meat. Pretty excited about that.

itsy bitsy xj
09-27-2016, 09:15 PM
nice job! Congrats

Whonnock Boy
09-27-2016, 09:19 PM
You need two tags for that one!!!

tuner
09-27-2016, 09:20 PM
Congratulations, that's awesome, just be forewarned,those old blues as far as table fare goes,are sometimes as tender as the soles out of a Dayton work boot, regardless, it was probably a very satisfying meal. Well done.

Ohwildwon
09-27-2016, 09:30 PM
You must of had a hell of a time holding up for the pic! :lol:

Nice job..!

.264winmag
09-27-2016, 09:34 PM
Nice shooting, definitely worth burning up a tag on! Also had some tough blues, flatten the breast out with a meat mallet and a few days sitting in the fridge helps tenderize. Still good flavour regardless, enjoy!

RugDoctor
09-27-2016, 09:59 PM
That's a dandy for sure

coach
09-27-2016, 10:05 PM
That's a beauty! Congratulations. Are you gonna go with a euro, head or a full body mount?

09-27-2016, 10:09 PM
That is certainly trophy quality. The semiplume feathers are exceptionally magnificent on that specimen. Good shot placement too as the trophy sized grouse are often quite aggressive.

russm
09-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Nice, can't say the same about my first of the year, was on a downward angle at about 20 yards with my .17 hmr, it went in through the neck and hit a bone, there was a lot of bone splinters in most of rhe meat, still tasty though.

mpotzold
09-27-2016, 10:35 PM
Good work!
Shot one in the Gang area around 1970 that was a little bigger. Only one 180 gr bullet to the head from a 308 Norma Mag. was needed to kill it.:mrgreen: It looked like a small turkey sitting on the pine branches.
D.F., my hunting friend said that it was about 6 lbs. -enough to feed his entire family.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-27-2016, 10:47 PM
NIce ... where is your cancelled tag? ;)

After having a huge Black Bear run away from me two weeks, literally as I was shouldering my rifle - I was feeling down. I got excited and missed a shot on a Grouse that day as well. Not the ideal start to the hunting season.

Today I went out with my bro in search of Whitetail, and possibly Elk - But I've learned to always bring a .22! Spotted this guy comfortably perched on a log about 40 yards away and shot his neck off! This is easily the biggest Grouse I've ever seen, let alone harvested.

While we didn't get any big game, I was still feeling proud about this guy, and my standing shot with the .22, I necked him and he dropped on the spot.

http://i.imgur.com/c2P2Am6.jpg

Not to mention probably the first Grouse I've harvested with no damage to the good portions of the meat. Pretty excited about that.

caddisguy
09-28-2016, 07:43 AM
That must have been one heck of a pack-out! Two trips I'm guessing? :)

I saw a huge ruffie on my first hunting trip, but he buggered off when I tried to get him in the scope. Seen some big blues, but couldn't shoot as it was in a provincial park and within 400M of the road.

One day I will get my trophy class grouse.

sausage lover
09-28-2016, 07:47 AM
That's a nice fat one! Can't wait to go blast some!

DarekG
09-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone! And the cooking advice which is sorely needed, cooking with game meat is a challenge if you don't have experience.

That's a beauty! Congratulations. Are you gonna go with a euro, head or a full body mount?

I was just gonna keep the antlers. :lol:

mpotzold
09-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Some will taste like chewing on pine needles. Using garlic butter will make a huge difference. Eve's German aunt soaks all game meat overnight in a fridge using buttermilk.
If the bird is really big cut it in small strips, soak in egg, dipped in generous breading & deep fried in oil & garlic butter.

see post#32
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?22492-No-more-Blue-Grouse/page4

AgSilver
09-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Sous vide can ensure you don't overcook and, if you brine first, really lead to delicious meat.