PDA

View Full Version : Wall tent stoves

Jack Russell
09-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Hi

What is everyone using for wall tent stove pipe? Single wall or dbl wall? How far from tent are you placing your stove from your tent wall using single wall pipe?

I am planning on going on a 45 degree angle from stove to tent exit and then vertical from there. Will 90 degree angles out work just as well or would 45 degrees draw better?

Thanks for the advice.

JR.

dabber
09-27-2016, 10:49 PM
We're using single wall with 2 90's that way you get some more heat into the tent. Never had any problems other than a windy night and the pipe came apart because we didn't secure it enough. I don't think you will have a problem with it the stove's seem to draw well.
Not sure without measuring but I think we only use a single length of 24" pipe between 90's.

Jack Russell
09-28-2016, 07:56 AM
Hey Dabber, thanks! How far are you keeping your stove from the wall tent material? Using any heat shields?

09-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Hey Jack, although I have done a lot of wall tent hunting in the past, I have never owned my own until now. With my bride wanting to join me with more outdoors time, I want to be sure she's comfortable, happy wife happy life right. That said I was told by the manufacturer, mine is canvas, to keep the stove two feet away all sides. That said I have designed and ordered a shroud so to speak for behind the Stove ( which was recommended by the stove maker). This will allow me to move the stove closer to the canvas wall, while deflecting heat back to the inside. Mine is adjustable as I have two stove locations at different heights. Good hunting to you.

CT

Jack Russell
09-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Thanks Curly Top. Was wondering about the spacing around the tent. I don't have that kind of room so I think I'll be looking at a shroud/shield of some kind.

Stayed in a wall tent on one trip and was so impressed by how warm it was with the wood heat. Great atmosphere as well which is important in November, when its dark a majority of the time.

And good hunting to you as well!

JR

Good2bCanadian
09-28-2016, 05:05 PM
Built my stove out of a 30lb propane tank.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/good2bcanadian/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqrc9cocl.png (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/good2bcanadian/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqrc9cocl.png.html)
It sits about a foot and a half off the canvas.
It reaches about 10ft tall outside.
I build a stick teepee outside and attatch the venting with wire to the sticks for stability.

On my trip I bring an extra elbow and a short length of tin in case anything busts apart.

Jack Russell
09-29-2016, 07:46 PM
^^^^ Thanks for the info!

Ry151
11-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Built my stove out of a 30lb propane tank.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/good2bcanadian/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqrc9cocl.png (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/good2bcanadian/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqrc9cocl.png.html)
It sits about a foot and a half off the canvas.
It reaches about 10ft tall outside.
I build a stick teepee outside and attatch the venting with wire to the sticks for stability.

On my trip I bring an extra elbow and a short length of tin in case anything busts apart.
what size tent do you heat with the propane tank? and whats the coldest temp you've gone down to? I have used and air tight (hippie killer) and it heated well but was hard to damper down at night and it went through a ton of wood. I swapped it out for a small house stove thinking it would be overkill and nice to have the glass in the door for light at night but it was a failure. the metal was to thick so it took forever to heat up and didn't put out enough heat but went through hardly any wood so im on the search for another stove

fuzzy
11-13-2016, 09:18 AM
The unfortunate thing about wall tent stoves is they are usually of thinner construction and because of using wood found in the field your burn times are shorter than what you would get out of a home stove. That being said I have a 10x12 wall tent with a home made stove that has kept me toasty down to -27. If I reload once in the night there are still coals in the am.I tarp my tent which helps hold heat in and use a 5' tall reflector that allows me to put my stove tight to the back wall. We base our sleep system on being comfortable without the stove, this allows to not have to reload at night if we choose.

Fuzzy