PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Okanagan Mountain Park Ram

coach
09-27-2016, 11:07 AM
First off, it's nice to be back on HBC after a lengthy self imposed hiatus. Too much time on the computer makes the Coach a dull boy - so I decided to spend a little more time with the family, at work, camping, fishing, etc this year. No draws for myself, my daughter or my step son in 2016 - but I was ecstatic to learn that a friend of mine drew the Okanagan Mountain Park California bighorn draw. "CJ" is the much better half of HBC member, "DF" - who's family several years ago sold me my hunting and fishing companion, Chilko

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/DSC_0764_zpss4jbdnpv.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_1085_zpsaaolksnr.jpg

CJ has graciously given me permission to post her epic story..

CJ's draw was for any ram and was for the entire month of September. Sounded easy, eh? Not always! Despite some summer scouting and a few nice sheep spotted from the water and on hikes, conditions for getting into the good areas - easiest accessed by boat - were really difficult with high winds seemingly every weekend in September. Try as they might, CJ and DF located many sheep - but the ones they saw consisted of ewes, lambs and some very young rams.

Myself and a few others stayed in constant contact - putting some X's on maps, giving advice on some of the how's and where's but time was ticking away on the draw. Last weekend looked like it was going to be her final chance to close the deal. In an effort to help, I boated in mid-week for a look around. I spotted a group of 25 ewes and lambs, glassed 35 goats - including a beautiful billy that I got close enough to photograph - but I wasn't able to locate any rams.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_2086_zps7osbam7q.jpg

CJ and DF made arrangements to be dropped off by boat last Friday and I made plans to join them Saturday, overnight, to help out if I could. Crossing the lake turned out to be pretty easy for them Friday morning - but then the rains came in - making for a miserable day. A few more ewes and lambs were spotted, but nothing to get excited about. By the time I arrived mid day Saturday - I sensed CJ's spirits were a bit dampened, but she still seemed confident we'd spot something worth pursuing. Fortunately, the weather was perfect Saturday. The lake was calm, the sun was out and a slight breeze kept things cool and bearable.

I felt confident!

Salty
09-27-2016, 11:13 AM
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/popCorn.gif

coach
09-27-2016, 11:29 AM
CJ just messaged me - and reminded my of the 13 hour hike she and DF made to get to the sheep area when boat access wasn't a possibility due to wind. This girl definitely worked for her opportunity.. :razz:

On my way to meet up with the hunters, I glassed a bunch of likely spots from the boat, but didn't see anything moving around. With sheep, this can be pretty normal. They like to bed much of the day, and are difficult to spot when they are laying down. I know one successful sheep hunter who has been known to glass an area four up to 8 hours at a time - only to be "surprised" by one he missed the whole time. I picked CJ and DF up at camp, and we boated a little further up the lake - glassing as we went, and hoping to see something standing up. No luck - but we did head to a key area, where rams are known to be on a very consistent basis.

The plan was to drop the CJ and DF off and have them hike to the first vantage point they could find - then have them sit and glass for an hour at a time, then move 50 or 100 yards and start glassing again. The area was promising and when I dropped them off, I expressed that I hoped they'd connect but that I really didn't want to miss out on the action.. lol

After the drop off, I headed back out in the boat to continue glassing other areas. I made it about 300 yards off shore before turning around and spotting a white ass about 500 yards above where I'd just left CJ and DF. I knew DF wasn't that fleet of foot - so I put the binos up right away..:-o

Rams.. BIG RAM!!

Binos down, boat in gear, I flew back to shore to pick them up. It was time to plan a stalk! When I got to shore, we glassed up to where the big guy had been and only saw two smaller rams. I was sure I wasn't mistaken when I first looked up - but wondered if excitement had gotten the better of my eyesight... Regardless, we needed to make a plan to see if we could get around and above the sheep. With a breeze blowing steadily from the south, we found a route up to the north that would keep us out of their sight with the wind blowing from them to us.

coach
09-27-2016, 11:43 AM
People who haven't hunted this area - or who have looked at it across the lake - probably think moving around in there looks pretty easy. Once you're there, you quickly realize there's a ton of blow down, the odd snake :shock:, and lots of cliffs. It's really important to pick your route well ahead - so you don't get "cliffed out" or into a situation where you're going to make a ton of noise crossing loose rocks or crashing through blow down. We got quite lucky and even found a very good game trail to follow most of the way up. The going was steep in places and we had to pace ourselves. More than once we stopped to hydrate. CJ told me afterward that it was one of the hardest climbs she's ever done - but she didn't let on while we were climbing that she wasn't going to make it!

It likely took us 45 minutes to an hour to get to where we were above where the sheep had been. (I'm only going by what it seemed like as I wasn't stopping to check my watch along the way). The whole way up we had great cover - I was confident the sheep wouldn't have seen us, and we stayed pretty quiet for three people climbing through rocks and sticks. When we got up top, the terrain was much more open. Not ideal, but we figured the best plan was to stay low, slow and not skyline ourselves.

We arrived at a spot where I thought the sheep had been. There was a flat rock outcrop that looked similar to where we'd seen them from the bottom. The sheep weren't there. Maybe they'd heard us, seen us, or just moved on we thought.

Then we spotted a large old dead tree - one we had seen from the bottom, that was close to the sheep. It was another couple hundred yards to our south. "Different rock" I said - they're gonna be a little farther over. VERY slowly we made our way along. I knew we were getting close. Everything seemed good. Suddenly - there they were.. 150 yards below us.

"Get down!", I whispered.. and we all hit the deck.

coach
09-27-2016, 11:56 AM
CJ and DF made the decision to drop their packs at that point. I have the top of a trigger stick that I can mount to my spotting scope tripod and I handed that combination to CJ. She settled her nerves and we crawled, belly to the ground, the next 50 yards. None of us noticed the cactus on the ground until we were pulling it out of our hands, arms and legs. :lol: A minor inconvenience - albeit uncomfortable. Eventually we reached the crest of the hill. 100 yards below us, we spotted the group of rams. There was a big pine tree between us and them so it was impossible to see them all. One was bedded and several were standing. The ones that were on their feet were staring in our direction.. SHIT! We hoped they weren't gonna bolt..

All of a sudden one of them decided it was time to bed down. CJ looked at me and said, "It's all good - they aren't concerned". Slowly we slid over to our left to where we could get a view of the group. They were all up at this point and stood tightly packed together. That image will be burned in my mind forever. Although I had my camera, I was too afraid to take a picture for fear of blowing the situation. We glassed the group - trying to determine which one was the biggest.

"Second from the right - that the one!" - All three of us agreed.

"You've got no shot, CJ - wait until they separate. No shot, no shot.." It seemed to take an eternity for them to move.

Suddenly the group started walking and the big guy was left all on his own at the back of the train. "There you go, CJ - now's your chance".

BOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!

My ears are still ringing and so are DF's.

coach
09-27-2016, 12:01 PM
The entire group bolted over the ridge and out of sight - but not before CJ saw her ram "hunch up". DF moved to the right to get a look at where he'd gone. He counted, 1-2-3-4-5 as the rest of the group took off. One ram remained behind.. bedded down and breathing heavily. He was definitely in distress..

The shot was devastating. It took out both front shoulders and he clearly wasn't going anywhere. He didn't die instantly though, so a follow up shot was needed. We gave him a bit more time - then went down to put our hands on him.

What an awesome ram!

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_5583_zpskshxi1n0.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_1387_zpsd9ha62oe.jpg

coach
09-27-2016, 12:03 PM
The happiest hunter I've ever had the privilege of being around!

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_1349_zpso8foukyo.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_2131_zpsj5i8m46m.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_2130_zpsmyttecdf.jpg

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_2133_zpsibbni4hz.jpg

Elkaholic
09-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Oh I cannot wait for the end of this tale! Great stuff so far. Keep it up.

Edit... damn you finished it before my post! Great stuff, stud of a ram good on her for doing it.

monasheemountainman
09-27-2016, 12:04 PM
Great story, Sean! Awesome pics and good on ya for helping out! Cheers!

monasheemountainman
09-27-2016, 12:05 PM
oh and congrats to the lucky lady!

nano
Excellent story and nice ram, congrats to all!!!!

coach
We all need a solid support team around us if we're going to be successful. This is my favourite picture from the day - me calling one of my best friends and mentors to tell him CJ had sealed the deal.

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_1393_zps22cll08g.jpg

What an awesome day! Thanks CJ and DF for allowing me to be part of your once in a lifetime hunt!

Salty
09-27-2016, 12:10 PM
Its an old cliché but really, it doesn't get much better than that :) Thanks for sharing coach great write up and pix as usual :/

coach
09-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Gotta love hanging out with happy people..

http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy154/coach108/IMG_1366_zps73vfifpu.jpg

tikkahunter
09-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Great story, and even better ram. Persistence and hard work always pays off.

Fella
09-27-2016, 12:22 PM
Awesome story! What a hunt, thanks for bringing us along coach and welcome back!

09-27-2016, 12:23 PM
WOW absolutely Amazing Ram, Congrats to the shooter and all those involved LOVE THIS !

Never see a smile bigger then that ! Terrific !

Also love that this is a Resident Hunter ! Way to GO !

CT

Dash
09-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Beautiful ram!!! Congratulations to all! You take beautiful pictures :)

Xenomorph
09-27-2016, 12:28 PM
We all need a solid support team around us if we're going to be successful. This is my favourite picture from the day - me calling one of my best friends and mentors to tell him CJ had sealed the deal.

What an awesome day! Thanks CJ and DF for allowing me to be part of your once in a lifetime hunt!

I love this shot and what it stands for. Congrats CJ and DF, what an awesome ram!

coach
09-27-2016, 12:30 PM
I love this shot and what it stands for. Congrats CJ and DF, what an awesome ram!

Thanks, buddy. There's no doubt this is a very meaningful image.

wideopenthrottle
09-27-2016, 12:36 PM
great story of hard work and persistence.... good on ya coach for your part...very nice pics

HarryToolips
09-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Great writeup Coach, and what an awesome ram! Way to get er done young lady..

kootenaycarver
09-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Congrats on a beautiful ram!!!! Thanks for sharing your hunt of a lifetime with us.

elkrub
09-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Great Story and a Beautiful Ram!!

Seeker
09-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Congrats to all you guys on a tough hunt! Thanks for taking the time to share. It appears HBC is getting back to what made it great. Meaningful stories about hunting and friends. Great write up and pictures as usual Coach.

Blainer
09-27-2016, 01:44 PM
Fantastic share! Thank you

thepitchedlink
09-27-2016, 02:06 PM
That is super cool....Nice write up there Coach

pnbrock
09-27-2016, 02:32 PM
Now that's the smile all should have after harvesting a beutiful animal!!!!great job girl!!

ElliotMoose
09-27-2016, 02:40 PM
Awesome ram. Would love to hunt that country one day! Thanks for the share Coach

Stone Sheep Steve
09-27-2016, 02:41 PM

Yep. Sharing their passions, experiences, knowledge and also sharing in the succeses that follow.

Love that pic!
Congrats to all!

SSS

Ourea
09-27-2016, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the kind words
Glad to be part of the hunt albeit helping things from over the phone.
Was very satisfying for me after pointing you guys to the area as we talked, where to glass and how to access.

I chuckled when I got a text back within the hr......"rams spotted"!!!
Next text......."ram down"!!

CJ appeared quite excited as we chatted after she claimed her ram.
I remember saying to her, "I hope you understand what you have done, that's a heck of a ram".

Coach, your willingness to help and support others is really quite something.
Another job well done

And to CJ, great effort on your part.

And Coach, you forgot the money shot!

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/money%20shot_zpsruasid3p.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/browndog100/media/money%20shot_zpsruasid3p.jpg.html)

Getbent
09-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Very cool...nicely done to all

J_T
09-27-2016, 03:46 PM
Good work Sean. Congratulations to CJ. Great looking animal, nice definition in those horns. Super story.

Backwoods
09-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Awesome man! Very nice Ram! How old? Sure makes me miss that area and the rest of reg 8 see in pics, man o man after that fire ripped through there years after when the hunting got amazing, crawling over burnt trees and trying to get deer n elk outta there Hahahaha would come home looking like I worked in a coal mine lol.

goatdancer
09-27-2016, 08:13 PM
That's a tremendous ram. Congratulations to all involved. Hard work and perseverance paid off.

Whonnock Boy
09-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Top notch Coach. Way to help out your fellow hunter/fisherman.... again! Congrats to the lucky lady.

ps. Good to see you back here on the forum.

scoutlt1
09-27-2016, 08:23 PM
Great write up, awesome pictures, and ya....really doesn't get much better than that!!

This is what I love most about HBC.

Thanks for the thread!

Cali
09-27-2016, 08:24 PM
Hell of a ram! Congrats!

LBM
09-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Congrats to all involved, a beauty of a ram, great photos and great smiles, nice to see.

BCrams
09-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Very impressive and a great story contribution Coach! The smiles all around speaks volumes!

jimzuk
09-27-2016, 08:50 PM
Awsome story and a great ram congrats

goathead
09-27-2016, 08:57 PM
great story and pics as always.well done team effort congrats to all

kennyj
09-27-2016, 09:00 PM
Congratulations CJ! What an awesome ram! Way to go Coach. What a great hunt to be able to help out on. Great story and photos.
Thanks for sharing.
kenny

silvertipp
09-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Well Done Coach,a great story to go along with a fantastic hunt
I too was able to accompany my son on one of these hunts up their
Thanks for sharing sure brings back some good memories

Ohwildwon
09-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Way to go and great to have you back! ;)

cas-has-cars
09-27-2016, 11:11 PM
Nice Ram and so close to home. Great Pictures and thanks for the Story.
Well done to All.

grizzly550
09-28-2016, 01:02 AM
Hell yeah...great tale and awesome animal!

Singleshotneeded
09-28-2016, 01:06 AM
Great story, thanks Coach...and congrats to CJ! :-D

MB_Boy
09-28-2016, 04:11 AM
Awesome coach!! Wouldn't expect anything less! :cool:

Rattler
09-28-2016, 06:08 AM
Awesome story and pictures as usual Coach. Congrats to CJ, sounds like she worked for that ram.

.264winmag
09-28-2016, 07:28 AM
Outstanding! Well deserved ram, great job. Wish I was there!

steepNdeep
09-28-2016, 08:23 AM
Awesome shots Coach! Sounds like a solid effort & great hunt.

Wrayzer
09-28-2016, 11:23 AM
fantastic story. Hunt of a life time, you've got a few of those notches on the old belt now eh Coach!

CRhunter
09-28-2016, 11:32 AM
Beautiful pictures! great Ram!

huntingfamily
11-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Awesome story Coach! Great ram CS!!!
Dan

Brew
11-08-2016, 07:45 PM
That is one impressive animal. Thanks for sharing the great story and pictures

6 K
11-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Awesome job!
Very cool to see friends out having fun

whitetailsheds
11-09-2016, 11:50 AM
Love it Sean!! Good on ya for your help and generosity!

coach
11-09-2016, 03:10 PM
Love it Sean!! Good on ya for your help and generosity!

Thanks, whitetailsheds! I saw a pic of the ram your friend got this week. Hoping she shares that story here when the time is right! :-D

whitetailsheds
11-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Thanks, whitetailsheds! I saw a pic of the ram your friend got this week. Hoping she shares that story here when the time is right! :-D

Pretty sweet story and ram!! But gotta repeat what I said earlier, yourself, and several others were so helpful......big hearts!! So nice to see!!

kevan
11-09-2016, 05:49 PM
A most excellent thread and terrific pictures !
You cannot imagine how much I enjoyed it, Thanks very much..

Surrey Boy
11-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Excellent thread. Conratulations, thanks for posting.