PDA

View Full Version : Chetwynd - Sukunka river - elk & moose tips anyone?

NinVic
09-25-2016, 09:26 PM
Hi,
going up to Chetwynd - Sukunka river area from moose and or elk. Any tips anyone care to share? Recommendations on spots?

This is a new area for me so any insights appreciated.

thanks in advance!

TARCHER
09-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Good grayling fishing. Further you get down there the less big game more bears. Beautiful country. Don't need too get too far down, in fact more elk closer to Chetwynd

604ksmith
09-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Hmm, my advice is a bit opposite to above. I suggest getting as far back as you can. Past the 45km mark (Provincial Park area) and stay near the rivers to find Moose. There's a few good marshes and clearings to find them in as well. And yes, bears are pretty much all over that area.

As for Elk, they're either closer to the highway and in the farmers fields at the 2-5km or way back in the thick bush where you'll have a hard time accessing them.

Also, plan on running into wolves. I have on three different occasions, and they're a fairly large pack/packs.

DBM
09-25-2016, 09:46 PM
Very busy in there.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-26-2016, 03:35 PM
make sure your turn signals work

pronghorn
09-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Busy area right now with the mine work and repairs still from flooding.

spikeforklake
09-27-2016, 01:56 PM
I was in there 3 weeks ago and all I saw was lots of rzr 1000's going mach chicken up and down the road loud as hell, very hit and miss, just saw bears and wolves

Backwoods
09-27-2016, 04:03 PM
Hmm, my advice is a bit opposite to above. I suggest getting as far back as you can. Past the 45km mark (Provincial Park area) and stay near the rivers to find Moose. There's a few good marshes and clearings to find them in as well. And yes, bears are pretty much all over that area.

As for Elk, they're either closer to the highway and in the farmers fields at the 2-5km or way back in the thick bush where you'll have a hard time accessing them.

Also, plan on running into wolves. I have on three different occasions, and they're a fairly large pack/packs.
Hope your doing your part on them wolves

leadpillproductions
09-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Didnt find a trailer hitch did ya lost mine off my truck lol
I was in there 3 weeks ago and all I saw was lots of rzr 1000's going mach chicken up and down the road loud as hell, very hit and miss, just saw bears and wolves

spikeforklake
10-11-2016, 11:05 AM
Our group managed to take one wolf out

Wolfdown
06-05-2017, 07:33 PM

I am up here working for the summer and I've been looking for wolves. I go for a drive almost nightly! So far I've been driving Stewart lake a lot, salt ridge/oeteta and a little bit on the sukunka. Lots of black bears up Stewart lake and moose everywhere. I was thinking maybe out on the boundary?! Is oeteta a good place to lol?

Any other areas you'd think would be good try to call in some wolves? I've called in coyotes but haven't hear any wolves yet! Any help would be appreciated.

HappyJack
06-05-2017, 07:56 PM
I am up here working for the summer and I've been looking for wolves. I go for a drive almost nightly! So far I've been driving Stewart lake a lot, salt ridge/oeteta and a little bit on the sukunka. Lots of black bears up Stewart lake and moose everywhere. I was thinking maybe out on the boundary?! Is oeteta a good place to lol?

Any other areas you'd think would be good try to call in some wolves? I've called in coyotes but haven't hear any wolves yet! Any help would be appreciated.

Try the Del Rio, or Groundbirch area??

Wolfdown
06-05-2017, 11:58 PM
Try the Del Rio, or Groundbirch area??

I haven't tried del rio yet, but I've had trouble getting anywhere but dead ends in groundbirch since I don't really know where to go!

I saw a wolf on my cruise tonight on oeteta. It was black and looked VERY large.. it was brief as he just ran across the road in front of me. I tried getting some action with my foxpro but all I get was a nearby coyote who I thought was going to get killed with the wolf so near by.

Moe.JKU
06-06-2017, 08:42 AM
Its a good area, lots of bears and wolves up that way so make sure you have a tag. There is lots of areas to walk and hike around