PDA

View Full Version : more elk help please

wos
09-25-2016, 08:30 PM
So here is the low down! I am a moose and deer hunter. That was was how I was raised. So my days hunting elk now equal 4.
That doesn't mean I haven't seen them before I just never hunted them until last weekend when the hook was set deep. I had one of those moments that changes everything and I now have a new addiction. So I spent last Sunday and this saturday trying to get a grip on elk hunting and honestly I felt like a blind man walking around in the forest squeezing an elk call! At this point I need to thank everyone on hbc for the tips because that was the bulk of my knowledge and it helped somewhat. So this morning I went out for a walk, squeezing my call occasionally when I paused because I thought I heard a squeak. It was very faint, so faint in fact I convinced myself that it was my gun sling creaking . I gave the call a squeak and waited a minute and nothing happened so I stepped forward and that's when all hell broke loose. I scared the crap out of a large bull that was 40 yards from me, and he had the same effect on me. This is a similar situation to last weekend. Again no chance at a shot. I'm a little disappointed in myself but satisfied that I am finding what I am looking for. So if people in the know would be so kind. Do most elk encounters happen under 40 yrds? Is it supposed to be like bow hunting with a gun?
How do I make it happen at say 200 yrds or at least a little working room? I'm having a lot of fun with this but the close encounters aren't leaving me much room for error. Hopefully I can close the deal next weekend. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Dlo11
09-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Get a bow. That'll solve it

RiverOtter
09-25-2016, 10:11 PM
Up until this year, my longest shot on an elk was maybe 40 yards, closest was inside 12. Not sure where you're hunting, but region 8 and lots of region 4 where I hunt don't allow for long shots, mainly cause the elk like the thicker stuff with small natural openings. Move slow and use cover to your advantage, especially when cow calling.

zippermouth
09-27-2016, 02:55 PM
Use a bugle to locate, then you know where they are. Can move in with cow calls or bugles after to get him to come in. It's addicting but takes a while to get the hang of it.

J_T
09-27-2016, 03:40 PM
So here is the low down! I am a moose and deer hunter. That was was how I was raised. So my days hunting elk now equal 4.
That doesn't mean I haven't seen them before I just never hunted them until last weekend when the hook was set deep. I had one of those moments that changes everything and I now have a new addiction. So I spent last Sunday and this saturday trying to get a grip on elk hunting and honestly I felt like a blind man walking around in the forest squeezing an elk call! At this point I need to thank everyone on hbc for the tips because that was the bulk of my knowledge and it helped somewhat. So this morning I went out for a walk, squeezing my call occasionally when I paused because I thought I heard a squeak. It was very faint, so faint in fact I convinced myself that it was my gun sling creaking . I gave the call a squeak and waited a minute and nothing happened so I stepped forward and that's when all hell broke loose. I scared the crap out of a large bull that was 40 yards from me, and he had the same effect on me. This is a similar situation to last weekend. Again no chance at a shot. I'm a little disappointed in myself but satisfied that I am finding what I am looking for. So if people in the know would be so kind. Do most elk encounters happen under 40 yrds? Is it supposed to be like bow hunting with a gun?
How do I make it happen at say 200 yrds or at least a little working room? I'm having a lot of fun with this but the close encounters aren't leaving me much room for error. Hopefully I can close the deal next weekend. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
I think the question you want to ask yourself is, are you looking for the potential to harvest an elk, every time you go out. Is your expectation to take a legal elk every year? Sometimes it's just not right, you might be in on a legal bull, but the location may not be right. It isn't all about, just killing an animal. A lot of personal growth and decisions are to be had. Learn his habits, what 'he' sounds like, how he manages his cows, how he moves through the day. Anticipate him. Learn about him. Respect him. It takes time, and repeated trips to the area, on likely the same bull, until the time is right.

Regarding, 'elk encounters'. Again, depends on your definition for an encounter. For some, they can be driving up a road, a legal animal runs across in front of them, and they'll consider that an encounter. Elk and moose are both big animals. But that's about where the similarities end.

For me, in pursuit, I tend to know where elk are. If other hunters are there, I'll back out and wait for another day. If there are no other hunters, I'll go in. Well in the dark. Silent. If I'm making noise, I use a small calf call I hold in my hand, and make very quiet calf calls. As daylight starts, I'll use a location bugle. If I hear another elk, I want to cut the distance in half, as quickly as possible. Watch the wind. Once I've cut the distance, I'll use cow calls. Starting quiet, but going louder if I need. The window of opportunity to actually have a bull 'come in on you' is very short in elk hunting. If I have a bull that "I think" is ready, I'll definitely bugle. How I bugle, how long, and what I do in terms of walking towards him or away from him are all based on the information I have gathered in my watching and learning about him.

.308SLAYER
09-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track.....that bull was most likely coming....very slowly... patience is a virtue and a must have for elk hunting

rocksteady
09-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Know your land, know your prey.... Mantracker....

Rattler
09-27-2016, 05:44 PM
Always keep track of the wind. Bulls will come in downwind, so one has to move to keep the wind in your favor. As others have said bugle to locate then cow call. Another trick is to rake a tree. If hunting solo, which is not recommended because bulls zero in on the caller, then I suggest using a decoy. Lastly pick your spots to call and wait minimum of 20 minutes because some Bulls come in quiet - they are like ghosts when they want to be...
Good luck!!

wos
09-27-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! So do most elk hunters sit down in a likely spot before starting to call? I have been walking around (very slowly ) cow calling ocasonly while trying to find what I think is bull sign. Following fresh single elk tracks, finding trees that have been raked calling in these areas a bit more. Perhaps that is what I'm doing wrong and why the elk have the upper hand on me. I don't know? back at it next weekend for sure but
I'm expecting the woods to be a little busy with any buck opening. Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks.