PDA

View Full Version : Floatplane daydreaming

albravo2
09-25-2016, 07:44 PM
This time of year I always start to daydream about a fly-in trip somewhere that is truly remote. No road access, nobody there in a jet boat, nobody there on a quad. Maybe somebody there on horseback, but you get the picture. Remote. Rough country, wild game that hasn't felt huge hunting pressure, solitude.

In my daydream, the territory isn't overrun by guide-outfitters with airplanes either.

My dream fly-in would be moose on a remote lake in region 6 up toward Atlin or elk in a distant part of 7B. Not very creative given the access possible by air for goats, sheep and caribou.

Where would you go, what would you hunt?

Ohwildwon
09-25-2016, 08:08 PM
I think you kind of nailed it..!:grin:

4 point
09-25-2016, 08:14 PM
Pretty hard to find the place you discribed this day & age. People are most everywhere by any means. But good luck trying. A group I was part of back in the late 60ies early 70es did on many occasions. Not many jet boats then.

375shooter
09-26-2016, 10:03 PM
This time of year I always start to daydream about a fly-in trip somewhere that is truly remote. No road access, nobody there in a jet boat, nobody there on a quad. Maybe somebody there on horseback, but you get the picture. Remote. Rough country, wild game that hasn't felt huge hunting pressure, solitude.

In my daydream, the territory isn't overrun by guide-outfitters with airplanes either.

My dream fly-in would be moose on a remote lake in region 6 up toward Atlin or elk in a distant part of 7B. Not very creative given the access possible by air for goats, sheep and caribou.

My dream, too. Not as easy as it sounds, though. Weather and wind is a real challenge, and the farther you fly, the greater the challenge. Did two solo trips last year for sheep. The first trip, was to a small high mountain lake in 7b. Saw a caribou on the hillside. Wasn't able to positively secure the plane, so had to abort the hunt. Very disappointing! When taking off to leave, the plane felt sluggish, even with the high performance turbocharged engine. It was a real eyeopener. On the second try though, got off ok. Had to use some flaps and concentrate more on technique. Wasn't used to that. Plane usually gets off within a few seconds, practically by itself.

A couple weeks later flew up to small lake in 7a. Was able to secure the plane, somewhat. Did a 4 day sheep hunt. Wasn't able to find the sheep, but at least saw a group of 29 goats. It was an amazing adventure. Three hundred and forty kms, one way. Furthest trip to date, and the flight alone was an adventure beyond description. The trip up was dicey with the low cloud and rain. The fight back was less dramatic, until I got to the airport. The landing gear wouldn't lock in the down position. Had to divert to a nearby lake and land in near darkness onto glassy water, with low fuel. Once down and safe, I was overwhelmed with a tremendous feeling of accomplishment and was extremely happy to just be alive. Was giddy with excitement. Never felt like that before in my life. Simply awesome!

If you have a high performance float plane, would be interested in pairing up for a sheep hunt for next year. I know of a different lake, which is tiny. Not sure if possible to land there. Would have to be scouted out beforehand. PM me if interested.

Treed
09-26-2016, 10:36 PM
I've flown a lot hours in helicopters and planes and never had anything go wrong. Aside from sketchy coastal weather and having to hover from tree to tree. Having a great pilot who looks after his craft is important. Might want to pick a different plane/pilot.

MattW
09-26-2016, 10:44 PM
My dream, too. Not as easy as it sounds, though. Weather and wind is a real challenge, and the farther you fly, the greater the challenge. Did two solo trips last year for sheep. The first trip, was to a small high mountain lake in 7b. Saw a caribou on the hillside. Wasn't able to positively secure the plane, so had to abort the hunt. Very disappointing! When taking off to leave, the plane felt sluggish, even with the high performance turbocharged engine. It was a real eyeopener. On the second try though, got off ok. Had to use some flaps and concentrate more on technique. Wasn't used to that. Plane usually gets off within a few seconds, practically by itself.

A couple weeks later flew up to small lake in 7a. Was able to secure the plane, somewhat. Did a 4 day sheep hunt. Wasn't able to find the sheep, but at least saw a group of 29 goats. It was an amazing adventure. Three hundred and forty kms, one way. Furthest trip to date, and the flight alone was an adventure beyond description. The trip up was dicey with the low cloud and rain. The fight back was less dramatic, until I got to the airport. The landing gear wouldn't lock in the down position. Had to divert to a nearby lake and land in near darkness onto glassy water, with low fuel. Once down and safe, I was overwhelmed with a tremendous feeling of accomplishment and was extremely happy to just be alive. Was giddy with excitement. Never felt like that before in my life. Simply awesome!

If you have a high performance float plane, would be interested in pairing up for a sheep hunt for next year. I know of a different lake, which is tiny. Not sure if possible to land there. Would have to be scouted out beforehand. PM me if interested.
I'm curious. What plane do you have?

375shooter
09-27-2016, 06:24 AM
I've flown a lot hours in helicopters and planes and never had anything go wrong. Aside from sketchy coastal weather and having to hover from tree to tree. Having a great pilot who looks after his craft is important. Might want to pick a different plane/pilot.

That's always how it goes. Nothing ever goes wrong, until it does. Nothing wrong with the plane or pilot. Bad things can happen to even the best pilots. It just takes a series of the wrong circumstances all coming together, at the wrong time.

boxhitch
09-27-2016, 07:17 AM
In my daydream, the territory isn't overrun by guide-outfitters with airplanes either.Overrun ? How many fly overs are acceptable ?
Lots of area in the north with little pressure due to being remote.
Maybe put in for your G Bear tag somewhere and when successful , pick a lake for moose
A fly-in to the Ketchika for elk could be done too, not much traffic away from the river.

Alfonz
09-27-2016, 10:42 AM

This was a nice little lake with no roads or rivers. Seen a fair amount of critters there, was after book caribou and never seen one big enough. Some nice moose but I was not after moose. Just the way it goes sometimes.
http://http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah130/wingbender/The%20pond_zpshgq0z9ia.jpg (http://http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah130/wingbender/The%20pond_zpshgq0z9ia.jpg)
http://http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah130/wingbender/Bull%20plane%20amp%20cabin_zps9m6vpjkz.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/wingbender/media/Bull%20plane%20amp%20cabin_zps9m6vpjkz.jpg.html)

375shooter
09-27-2016, 04:36 PM
All pilots have stories to tell, of tense situations. Since the op is a pilot himself, I figured he could appreciate a good one. I probably dramatized a little too much, however. Sorry for that. Wasn't actually expecting to die, but it did cross my mind. As all pilots know, there are quite a number of things that could go wrong.

375shooter
09-27-2016, 04:46 PM
I'm curious. What plane do you have?

Do you have a plane, Matt? Mine is high performance in a STOL sense, not in speed. And no, it's not a turbo beaver.

375shooter
09-27-2016, 05:02 PM
This was a nice little lake with no roads or rivers. Seen a fair amount of critters there, was after book caribou and never seen one big enough. Some nice moose but I was not after moose. Just the way it goes sometimes.
http:/ (http://http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah130/wingbender/The%20pond_zpshgq0z9ia.jpg)

Alfonz, how did you secure the plane? Heel it onto shore, then use Duckbills? Or something else? I can only imagine the wind potentials on that lake.

albravo2
09-27-2016, 05:59 PM
Ya gotta love those little lakes. I get the cub guys with tundra tires, they land in some pretty amazing places, but the float guys really have their pick of the best terrain.

Alfonz, I see you live in Caballo Blanco. Is that lake in Mexico? You should send me coordinates to I can be sure.

Alfonz
09-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Alfonz, how did you secure the plane? Heel it onto shore, then use Duckbills? Or something else? I can only imagine the wind potentials on that lake.

I tied it up with every rope I had to anything that looked like it would hold, plus I brought some steel pins I beat into the lake shore. The shore had a small bank to it and I could not heel it up. It was tied tight to the bank but still just in enough water to keep floating. During the nights a few times the wing blew and I did not sleep well listening to it and worrying about the plane. It was always nice to see it floats down in the morning!

I'm intrigued what kind of plane do you have that is turbo charged, stol, and on amphibs? I was thinking a 185 C turbo? They are pretty quick though and you say your slow?

Al

albravo2
09-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Al, I read a great write up on Backcountrypilot.org about tie down anchors. Some really good ideas. I like the perforated angle iron, rigged in series. If you can pound it in, it isn't coming back out.

If you don't mind getting wet, I would think it would work pretty well under water too.

Alfonz
09-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Al, I read a great write up on Backcountrypilot.org about tie down anchors. Some really good ideas. I like the perforated angle iron, rigged in series. If you can pound it in, it isn't coming back out.

If you don't mind getting wet, I would think it would work pretty well under water too.

Thanks for the info I will take a look at that. I have also seen some anchors you pound in with a pin that have a cable loop attached turn side ways when pressure is applied. They are single use.

I have spent the night @ Badman lake once in the Dehavilind Hotel and thank heavens the wind did not come up. As we were not planning to spend the night and had nothing to tie to.

It was nice no quads,boats or horses when we were there.

northernguy
09-27-2016, 08:07 PM
...best way to tie out your float plane is to pick the right spot in the first place. Everything else is just a good effort to prevent catastrophe ;)! If I got a dime for every night I have spent tied up to a beach... I would upgrade to a Turbo Beaver; or maybe a Porter; or maybe a 1019; or maybe one of those new baby Caravans: or, or, or...too many choices :shock:!

375shooter
09-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the info I will take a look at that. I have also seen some anchors you pound in with a pin that have a cable loop attached turn side ways when pressure is applied. They are single use.

I have spent the night @ Badman lake once in the Dehavilind Hotel and thank heavens the wind did not come up. As we were not planning to spend the night and had nothing to tie to.

It was nice no quads,boats or horses when we were there.

Alfonz, I think those are the Duckbills I spoke of. Very good holding force. Looks like you've had some good hunts in some good areas. You're making good use of your super cub.

MattW
09-27-2016, 08:51 PM
Do you have a plane, Matt? Mine is high performance in a STOL sense, not in speed. And no, it's not a turbo beaver.
Yes, I have a 59 Cessna 180 on EDO 2960's.
I'm curious because of your combination of turbo charged, STOL, amphibs, and slow. I want to guess Helio but they're pretty fast and really there aren't many flyable lakes that the Helio can't get off. I also remembered the Helio isn't normally turboed. Unless you've put a Rayjay turbo on something? Turbo 206, but they're pretty fast?