PDA

View Full Version : Princeton...where to start?

351BII
09-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Hey everyone, I am going to take a drive to princeton this week for a day to explore possible new hunting areas. I will have a back road book and have a quad as well. Does anyone have a tip on where to start? I dont know this area at all. Thanks

hntcrazy
09-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Go up behind cop shop ...............

itsy bitsy xj
09-25-2016, 07:10 PM
I'm heading there on Sunday

ItsGrouseTalk
09-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Sunday Summit, Placer Mountain, Whipsaw Area, behind the cop shop, Stemwinder, Copper Mountain are some of the more popular spots. Lots of deer in those areas! Just gotta find them! :smile:

sarg
09-25-2016, 09:26 PM
Yup, just go to the chevron first thing in the morning and follow out the locals :) Princeton is a super busy place to hunt but there is decent deer around there. There is black mine, Jura, red creek as well

351BII
09-25-2016, 09:36 PM
Thx for the replies. Just want to take a look before i drag my trailer and all the gear and not know where to turn. Didnt get a chance this summer to to venture the area.

luger
09-25-2016, 09:53 PM
I have a buddy that always says turn at the cop shop. Is it going south of the cop shop? Or north?

1/2 slam
09-25-2016, 10:01 PM
I have a buddy that always says turn at the cop shop. Is it going south of the cop shop? Or north?

South.......

howa1500
09-26-2016, 12:31 PM
China ridge, head from Princeton to Tulameen some fantastic country that way.

howa1500
09-26-2016, 12:32 PM
And if you want to see deer.. Go to the airport... They are all over the place aroubd those hills

finaddict
09-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Usually just stop at the cop shop. You will normally find a couple resting in the grass there. Shooting them at that point Juuuuust might be a bit complicated though:mrgreen:

Iron Glove
09-26-2016, 01:05 PM
Usually just stop at the cop shop. You will normally find a couple resting in the grass there. Shooting them at that point Juuuuust might be a bit complicated though:mrgreen:

Hush, that's where I get all my deer. ;)
To the OP, South up Copper Mountain Road and into the hills around there, North on Coalmont Road to the Coalmont / Tulameen areas or the Jura area NE of Princeton. Tons of area to try but it'll take some work and expect to run into people.
An alternative is to head up the COQ and take Lawless / Tulameen River FSR's into the Tulameen area but that can be a real gong show on weekends.

Ferenc
09-26-2016, 01:10 PM
Trout Cr Forest Service Road for plan A is where I would start... Lots of sightings .. But that'll change fast after this weekend. : )

ItsGrouseTalk
09-27-2016, 06:58 AM
An alternative is to head up the COQ and take Lawless / Tulameen River FSR's into the Tulameen area but that can be a real gong show on weekends.

Beautiful drive!!!

Phreddy
09-27-2016, 07:44 AM
And you think Princeton isn't? been thinking of setting up a ticket booth to go into most areas around town. I figure if I only run it for a couple weeks I'll come away rich lol. Being that I hate driving in traffic I dont hunt here much anymore. Rather go where there's game.

Hush, that's where I get all my deer. ;)
To the OP, South up Copper Mountain Road and into the hills around there, North on Coalmont Road to the Coalmont / Tulameen areas or the Jura area NE of Princeton. Tons of area to try but it'll take some work and expect to run into people.

Iron Glove
09-27-2016, 10:20 AM
And you think Princeton isn't? been thinking of setting up a ticket booth to go into most areas around town. I figure if I only run it for a couple weeks I'll come away rich lol. Being that I hate driving in traffic I dont hunt here much anymore. Rather go where there's game.

Well yes, the whole area is a gong show, being so close to the LML.
It's just that the infamous Lawless Road is a huge gong show as it's even closer for the LML day hunters.
Over the past few years have been spending way more time in the hills around Princeton than the hills around Tulameen.
Mind you, no matter where I hunt I never bag anything. :(

.308SLAYER
09-27-2016, 04:11 PM
Seen some MONSTERS around after the season is closed of course

papaken
09-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Where ever you go around Princeton you will see more game if you get back in off the roads. I have taken deer, moose and bear out of the Princeton area. Just can't seem to sneak up on one of them unicorns or should I say 6pt bull elk. Good Luck!

howa1500
09-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Howse the vortac been?

Stillhunting
09-27-2016, 08:58 PM
Was working up Kathleen today, and there were deer eveywhere, both mulies and white-tails. Lots of hunters too though. Just watch out for the folks in the high-vis vests.

351BII
09-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Well I spent the day yesturday up this way. Saw 4 does, half a dozen grouse and passed on a beauty black bear as it was 9:30 and I didnt want to end my scouting day to have to go deal with it. (hoping Karma would come back later with Horns):wink:. Thought it was an ok day since I had no idea where I was going what so ever. I started as far up as Missezula Lk and the upper side seemed to be a bust in terrain and a cow on every corner. I did not venture in on the summers creek end. Returned back down and went in towards coalmont and took off up one road that had great terrain and is where i saw yogi having a snack. After returning out of that road I continued on to venture into Blakeburn area. All I seemed to find that way was driveways? Was looking for the arrastra cr fsr but no luck. Seen a few grouse up this way and 1 doe. Getting later in the day I thought I would head back and try up behind the airport. Head in and seen alot of no hunting signs for a ways then it was mega clear cut. Only went in so far and only seen a guy getting some winter wood and another truck go by me at mach 3. Went in about 18 kms then that was pretty much the day. I didnt venture up hoover cr though. Nor did I head to the jura area and beyond. I was surprised to not see any other hunters. I must have been in the wrong place:lol:. All in all wasnt a total waste. Excuse to head back and look some more.

dasnake
09-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Going to this area in 2 weeks, whipsaw creek. We stay in the creek area, go up behind towards Kennedy lake. Great area. Quad works great for these closed in roads. Got a nice big full faced helmet great big safety boots flak jacket, great big puffy coat, really large hi vis vest, everything the government and icbc think I need to be off road, at 69 I feel so safe it makes me all warm and fuzzy.
This is a quiz, can anyone tell when I implanted my tongue in my cheek.

Xenomorph
09-28-2016, 03:32 PM
This is a quiz, can anyone tell when I implanted my tongue in my cheek.

Both sides, at the same time no less!

itsy bitsy xj
09-28-2016, 03:46 PM
Quad works great for the closed roads?

Salty
09-28-2016, 05:31 PM
closed in roads not closed roads. Pretty sure he's talking about grown in and narrow for a truck.

dasnake
09-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Quad works great for the closed roads?

Up behind the creek the old cutblock roads are so over grown and deactivated that my buddy driving an old 88 Chevrolet 4x4 can't get through so we both jump on the quad and go to the over growth staging zone hike from there, the areas are just lovely, our last day last year we went up one and came upon a full elk family, thrilling absolutely thrilling.

bucka
10-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Don't waste your time fellas. There is no game in Princeton. None. Just the deer in town as they've come from the woods and like it there and have now decided to live within the city limits.

howa1500
10-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Don't waste your time fellas. There is no game in Princeton. None. Just the deer in town as they've come from the woods and like it there and have now decided to live within the city limits.

Sooo true.. Wanna see game? Just hang out in town and youll see deer everywhere