PDA

View Full Version : Fieldscopes, straight vs angled body?

nolimits
09-25-2016, 09:42 AM
I will very likely be in a process of upgrading a fieldscope soon. The one I am using right now is a straight body one and for few years it served me fine both on range and in the field. Recently I came across few pics from several members on their hike in trips, and also watching guys on the range, that the more popular option is the angled one. Is there a reason behind it? I don't think is the price? Comfort of use? Weight? What are you guys using and why?

todbartell
09-25-2016, 10:42 AM
I prefer angled for more comfortable extended glassing. You can sit over them or lay beside without as much stress on your neck. Straight would have an advantage for using from a window mount in your truck, and for stuffing in a backpack easier

twoSevenO
09-25-2016, 10:52 AM
For me it was a height issue as well. I'm 6'5"and if i got a straight scope my tripod would have to be ridiculously tall. With an angled i look down so i can get away with a much smaller tripod.

Whonnock Boy
09-25-2016, 11:34 AM
The angled allows for far more variations when setting it up. I don't know if all spotting scopes rotate, but mine does, and I can angle it off to the sides either way.

Wentrot
09-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Angled for me as well-for the above reasons

Comerade
09-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Straight for me .I need to sight down the barrel of it to get an approximate location.Maybe I'm just old about it

TrickleCharger
09-25-2016, 07:40 PM
I bought a high end straight spotter only to sell it and buy an angled one a year later. I thought straight would be the way to go for easier target acquisition and window mount use, but I quickly realized how much more comfortable angled would be and how much shorter (and more stable) you can set the tripod. SInce you already know what straight feels like see if you can borrow an angled one from somebody or at least try one out at the store on a tripod in different positions. Good luck!

kevan
09-25-2016, 07:49 PM
I prefer angled on the shooting range and straight for hunting.
An angled tube Kowa or Swarovski is fine for downrange but a bit pricey if it gets smucked up.
A short powerful Bushnell with dinky bipod and handgrip has served me well takes a beating without issue..

Gateholio
09-25-2016, 08:43 PM
There isn't a correct answer. I find straight to be more intuitive, angled to be nicer for sitting for hours looking at an elevated spot.

Straight may be more versatile, although many spotters these days will rotate over so you can used the angled sorta straight on too.

Comes down to what you like.