PDA

View Full Version : moose call help

bchunter181
09-23-2016, 01:34 PM
hi guys i have finally gotten my moose leh after 9 years of applying.although im glad i have had the chance to go get some advice and now feel like im educated on moose now.so heres my question i am having a hard time with moose calling going with the mouth and hands method.i have watched hundreds of videos and been practising and i think i can make a decent call.but there is some many youtube videos and so many dofferent variations of calls i have no idea if mine are ok or not so i have some recorded on me doing the calls and i was wondering if i coild emil them to a few people and they could give me feedback just want to set myself up for the best chance at my leh thanks guys!

Ajsawden
09-23-2016, 01:46 PM
I too have been practicing moose calling for my upcoming hunt and have also watch many videos. I have taken into consideration the 'so many different variations' as some leniency towards my methodologies. Will I be perfect, probably not in my first year of moose calling. Will I be good enough? Fingers crossed that I'll get the reaction i'm looking for (moose running towards instead of away from me). Good luck out there!

buckshot
09-23-2016, 01:52 PM
If you have been practicing and watching videos, I'm sure you are ready for the task! Like you constantly hear in the videos, no two moose sound identical and persistence brings in the bull! Remember, if you get no action and signs are not the freshest, move on. Call throughout the day, call at last light and return for a follow up next morning.
Alternate from cow to bull to get a reluctant bull to commit! Good luck hunting.

knighthunter
09-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Don't get hung up on worrying if your call is perfect or not. I've made some pretty sick cow moose calls and have still brought in a bull. They don't always come running in to your call, they can be down right sneaky when they want to be.

BigSkogButt
09-23-2016, 02:03 PM
I called in my first moose 2 years ago after YouTube university. Pretty sure I sounded like I was dying. Big boy just came smashing his way out of the timber look for a fight. I'm sure you will do fine.

Fella
09-23-2016, 02:11 PM
I went on my first ever moose hunt last year, watched 1 YouTube video and gave it the ol' college try and called 2 bulls in. My buddy and I filled our tags within 5 minutes of each other. Just make the sound you make when you're half asleep and you stub your toe.

moosecaller
09-23-2016, 02:24 PM
I have posted this before and believe it or not a buddy of mine who can not call if his life depended on it, one trip he let out a large "fart" and off the trail a bull started grunting back at him. He tied and tried to let loose with another colon call, but he said he damn near crapped his pants trying. So in desperation he tried a mouth call well as mentioned before his calling is terrible, and the moose ran...not walked off in the opposite direction. Some can call some can't, his success would depend on mass amounts of beans or brussel spouts to make him any good. That being said if you sound close to the youtubers you should be good to go. Moose will answer to most guttural calls and if a bass colon grunt will do it, call with confidence.

two-feet
09-23-2016, 02:24 PM
Just get out there and let er rip. If you are hunting with a partner get him set up wih a shooting lane down wind of you, the caller can cover up wind.

09-23-2016, 02:44 PM
Plug your nose with your pointy finger, push your toung to the roof of your mouth and make a RRRRRR sound.....
don't over think it...... Dad cant call for shit if you went on how he sounds,,,,, but he shot a 50" 850 on the hook bull last year that came right in...

Get in the bush well before light... wait till shooting light to start calling
Call then wait 10 minutes then call. again......
Keep repeating until around 10:30 or Blood.....

I cow call to get bulls coming and switch to grunts to "finish them"
I don't make them " big bull bashing the bush" sounds or any of that...... I want to sound like a cow that wants a bull..... I don't want to sound like a cranker bull and scare off a bunch of 30" bulls... I want all the bulls to come...

Rob Chipman
09-23-2016, 05:07 PM
^^^^ What he said, but, when the bull is within sight and can possibly see us or is likely to I've stuck a shed out around a tree and raked it. It seems that once they see that antler (or a reasonable facsimile) they decide that you're a moose and you can show yourself quite a bit more as you set up for the best shot.

On the other hand, I've seen moose from over 300 yards away that look at me and decide I'm human and disappear. I think it's worth using the power of suggestion to make them think you're a moose.

180grainer
09-23-2016, 05:21 PM
hi guys i have finally gotten my moose leh after 9 years of applying.although im glad i have had the chance to go get some advice and now feel like im educated on moose now.so heres my question i am having a hard time with moose calling going with the mouth and hands method.i have watched hundreds of videos and been practising and i think i can make a decent call.but there is some many youtube videos and so many dofferent variations of calls i have no idea if mine are ok or not so i have some recorded on me doing the calls and i was wondering if i coild emil them to a few people and they could give me feedback just want to set myself up for the best chance at my leh thanks guys!

Don't get too worked up on how you sound. I've hunted with numerous other guys who've called in moose. If you understand the basic sound of a cow in heat, giver shite. The better advice is to know when to shut up.

Ltbullken
09-23-2016, 05:24 PM
Plug your nose with your pointy finger, push your toung to the roof of your mouth and make a RRRRRR sound.....
don't over think it...... Dad cant call for shit if you went on how he sounds,,,,, but he shot a 50" 850 on the hook bull last year that came right in...

Get in the bush well before light... wait till shooting light to start calling
Call then wait 10 minutes then call. again......
Keep repeating until around 10:30 or Blood.....

I cow call to get bulls coming and switch to grunts to "finish them"
I don't make them " big bull bashing the bush" sounds or any of that...... I want to sound like a cow that wants a bull..... I don't want to sound like a cranker bull and scare off a bunch of 30" bulls... I want all the bulls to come...

This - though I do a "ohwaaaahhhh" sound for about 6 seconds. But I first look for moose sign in area. If there's decent sign - fresh droppings, tracks, and browsing - I work that spot. Always go in quiet. Park quad/vehicle about 400 - 500 meters away from spot and always consider wind around your location and where you park vehicle. I do about 4 or 5 calls every 10 mins. After calling for about an hour, throw in a grunt after the cow calls. Call for about 2 - 3 hours. Go back to same spot for late afternoon, early evening calling. You will be gutting a moose in no time!

09-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Lt, couldn't figure out how to spell " ohwaaaaaa" so I stuck with " rrrrrr"

bottom line is yes there is tequnique to it and closing each bull will be different. But for a new guy you need to figure that out yourself. You will need to read each situation. Though that sounds tough, it really isn't. It's just time and experiance. If you did any of what is said here for the entire morning for the whole trip you should come up good. I think the biggest part of this is where to call not how to call. I could go on forever on where I set up. But I always set up where I can get eather a quad or a truck to. And small cuts, pockets. And don't worry about the odd guy driving by. That bull will hear him and stop. When he is gone he will keep coming.

And shoot it till they drop.

bc8x8
09-23-2016, 06:31 PM
Don't worry about your call. A few years ago my hunting partner and I were both in "hides" about 100 yds apart. He fell asleep and his snoring called in a moose. He woke up when the moose grunted at him from about 30 ft away. Dropped it right there.

Jagermeister
09-23-2016, 06:39 PM
You're sitting on a swamp. Make your cow calls in one direction at 2 or 3 minute intervals for 15 to 20 minutes Then do a bull call toward the opposite direction. Then sit quietly and listen for 20 minutes or so. Have a snooze. Bull should be licking your face.

09-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Great advice jäger

Jagermeister
09-24-2016, 12:16 AM
Personal observations to note.

Most of my success at calling bull moose in has been in the late afternoon. With this in mind, you have been cow calling from your preferred spot in the PM to no avail. Make a stealthy departure and return at first light. Wait until it quiets down then try the cow call again.

If you see a cow and or calf, do not cow call. Instead bull call, softly at first and then increase the volume if no response in the short term but call with less frequency than you would cow call.

Moose have probably the best hearing of all ungulates, just look at the ears and they are always swiveling to the different sounds around them. That's why it is important to be as silent as possible.

Patience.............you have to have patience.

And your calls have to originate from your diaphragm to make them somewhat decent. Everybody has a different voice, moose are no different, so the calls do not have to be perfect. Just reasonably close.

The area that your leh is in is a tough early season hunt. If you get snow in the Cariboo highlands, the bulls will be driven toward you.

Ltbullken
09-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Don't worry about your call. A few years ago my hunting partner and I were both in "hides" about 100 yds apart. He fell asleep and his snoring called in a moose. He woke up when the moose grunted at him from about 30 ft away. Dropped it right there.

ROTL*****! A bet he shat himself first! Your buddy that is. I was calling a on a cut line and, after about an hour, I stood up to stretch and heard a grunt about 40 yds behind me. It was a nice (but not legal) bull walking in on me.

knighthunter
09-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Has anyone ever been cow calling and had a reply that sounded something like "someone slamming a truck tail gate shut"? This happened to me a few years back. I asked an oldtimer moose hunter/ registered trapper and he told me what it was. I'm just wondering if it has happened to anyone else?

leannejason
09-27-2016, 01:06 AM
Ahhhhh.....the old antler knock response on a tree. :grin:

knighthunter
09-27-2016, 07:29 AM
Yes, how about this one. Again cow calling and get a reply that is a big "roar". Almost made me think of a lion roar one would hear on a "national Geographic" show.

moosecaller
09-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Yes, how about this one. Again cow calling and get a reply that is a big "roar". Almost made me think of a lion roar one would hear on a "national Geographic" show.
That is the warning call letting everyone (moose) in the area you been busted!

knighthunter
09-27-2016, 03:06 PM
That is the warning call letting everyone (moose) in the area you been busted!

I was told that was a cow moose that's with a bull, warning me off, thinking I was another cow.