PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 Hunting

Shooter Jr.
09-22-2016, 10:45 PM
Hello HBC! Im in need of some help...

Long story short, a buddy has to cancel for the dates of our moose draw in 5-12, and we're not able to go on our planned trip.
We're trying to plan a fairly short notice Muley/whitetail, with the very slim hope of getting a crack at a moose hunting trip in region 3. I have never hunted there, (nor really been there) but have always wanted to do a trip there. I'm hoping some of the locals, or guys familiar with the region may give some insight on where to go. I am in no way even asking for someones honey hole, or hunting spot location, I'm more interested in what part of the region may be better for someone to hunt, as in what MU has more crown land, and huntable area. looking to avoid private land, and have a chance to bag a whitetail doe, and mule deer buck.

Hows the area up near Clinton? Would it be a worth while area to set up camp and try for a WT doe and Muley buck? How is it for gates, closures, and private land? Is there lots of cut blocks to hunt, and maybe even nice places to walk?
Lastly, how about any pointers for a newbie Muley/Whitetail hunter? Anything to watch out for? Anything i need to know?

Really hoping to just get out of the house and make the most of a hunting trip, tagging something would be a bonus!
Thanks in advance guys,

Erik.

Piperdown
09-23-2016, 06:26 AM
I say screw your buddy, go and use your moose draw, you never know when you will get another one!

boxhitch
09-23-2016, 06:50 AM
About 5 more hours puts you in Anahim Lake

mmmmmmm moose

ElliotMoose
09-23-2016, 07:01 AM
Agreed I would definitely utilize your tag.. Start a thread to see if anybody else will be up in the area during your draw period and hopefully you can join a camp. Hell, there might even be a local on here who would let you stay at their place for a night or two and help you get your bull. That's what HBC is supposed to be all about! Good luck

markathome
09-23-2016, 07:21 AM
Ditto - ditch your buddy and head up.

Don't squander the LEH - your odds next year are going to suck. Bring a canoe and hunt the lakes. Let the canoe do the work if you get one.

I've never encountered an unfriendly moose camp - head up there, set up camp and go make friends. Most spots in 5-12 have pretty common/communal camp spots. Grab one and go visit your neighbours - just like the good old days.

floden
09-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Hi, I'll echo what others have said about your draw. Why not invite someone else and teach them about hunting? Or go solo and when you bag one, you'll make friends fast.

clinton is a great area for deer. I hunt in that area a lot . I always have a good laugh when driving up there in snow and I see deer tracks crossing the highway just above the high school you will see on your right ! ( driving up from Vancouver)

Simply get a back road map book then spend time on Google earth ....you will find a lot of great roads to access the areas you want to hunt . Then it is simply a matter of getting out of your truck . That area holds good deer.

btw- watch your speed driving thru Clinton! That town makes its money on speeding tix

russm86
09-23-2016, 08:31 AM
As everyone else says, use your LEH tag!!

Secondly, not much for moose hunting left in any part of region 3 unless you have horseshoes up the wazzoo for that mythical spike/fork. I've seen a few over the years but never during spike/fork season when I had a tag...

curt
09-23-2016, 09:12 AM
no other option go hunt moose!!!

Shooter Jr.
09-23-2016, 09:28 AM
There was a lot to it, as much as id love to go after my LEH, it just won't be possible. Believe me, I'd rather chase moose than mulies....

BigSkogButt
09-23-2016, 09:37 AM
Wouldn't it be great if a guy could hand his tag back in and not screw his odds for the next few years. one of the very few times am I jealous of the US.

Rob Chipman
09-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Tons of hunting around Clinton. Big circle of a road that circles Marble Mountains. As you drive into Clinton from the south look to your left for Kelly Lake Road. Hang a left (in real time or on google maps) and follow the paved road until you get to the dirt road (Jesmond Road). That road heads north and hits the Big Bar Road. Hang another right and you can follow it back to Hwy 97 just north of Clinton. From Big Bar Road you can also go a bit further north the Meadow Lake Road. Also roads off Jesmond heading down to the Fraser. Lotsa places to hunt in there and lots of places to camp. If you go at the right time there's even an immature moose season, and they're around. Also bears. And wolves. And whiteys.

If you're there for the first time it's worthwhile to hit the Big Bar Ferry and cross the river. Lots to hunt on the other side and it's worth the drive. You can go in around Clinton, cross the river and end up coming out in Lillooet. Not sure about whitetails on the west side, but there's bear, moose, mule deer and wolves. Also bighorn sheep on both sides, but check your regs.

Great area.

Shooter Jr.
09-23-2016, 08:08 PM
Tons of hunting around Clinton. Big circle of a road that circles Marble Mountains. As you drive into Clinton from the south look to your left for Kelly Lake Road. Hang a left (in real time or on google maps) and follow the paved road until you get to the dirt road (Jesmond Road). That road heads north and hits the Big Bar Road. Hang another right and you can follow it back to Hwy 97 just north of Clinton. From Big Bar Road you can also go a bit further north the Meadow Lake Road. Also roads off Jesmond heading down to the Fraser. Lotsa places to hunt in there and lots of places to camp. If you go at the right time there's even an immature moose season, and they're around. Also bears. And wolves. And whiteys.

If you're there for the first time it's worthwhile to hit the Big Bar Ferry and cross the river. Lots to hunt on the other side and it's worth the drive. You can go in around Clinton, cross the river and end up coming out in Lillooet. Not sure about whitetails on the west side, but there's bear, moose, mule deer and wolves. Also bighorn sheep on both sides, but check your regs.

Great area.
Thank you for the great info!!! Very helpful. We're planning on camping somewhere in the back roads in the hunting area.
How is the Clinton area for gates? is there much gated area and inaccessible land??

markomoose
09-23-2016, 08:38 PM
I would also consider trying the West Pavillion road up the West side of the Fraser out of Lillioet.Beautiful sceneary and decent Mule Deer hunting.If the hunting doesn't pan out there take the Big Bar Ferry back to the East side and try around 70 Mile south to Clinton.An awesome round trip muley hunt and bring your moose tag. Good luck Shooter Jr!

Rob Chipman
09-24-2016, 10:15 AM
^^^^Again, great suggestion, great road. There's a big ranch up there that you can't hunt (lots of area you can, mind you), but you owe it to yourself to do that road. Leave Lillooet heading for Clinton, keep an eye open for the Pavilion reserve, hang a left, climb the mountain like crazy, enjoy the drive. Super steep descent to Kelly Lake.

Shooter Jr.
09-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Thank you all for the great suggestions. Much appreciated, and very helpful!

Mitchellfried
10-29-2016, 05:38 PM
How's the hunting around Clinton and lilloet been lately?

Darksith
10-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Crazy to not go on your draw...NEVER miss an leh hunt

250 sav
10-30-2016, 02:54 PM
You could go on the north side of Kamloops lake and if you don't see anything you could ask someone at the 17 hunting camps I saw on a 2.5 hour drive.

Brian011
10-30-2016, 03:45 PM
If you don't want to travel as far, there is a ton of good Muley hunting anywhere from Boston Bar all the way to cache creek, Ashcroft area is good too. The area from cache creek to Lilloet is good, just pick a spot and start hiking. Lots of logging and timber everywhere, it's easy to keep away from private property areas.

hparrott
10-30-2016, 04:27 PM
There was a lot to it, as much as id love to go after my LEH, it just won't be possible. Believe me, I'd rather chase moose than mulies....

Take someone else. Probably another hunter who would help you out. Worth a shot before changing plans.

10-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Good luck on your hunt Jr. sucks about the moose but crap happens. Lol tell shooter to get off his blacktail butt and go with ya! I don't have any info on R3. But if you want R8 or R5 I have some.

Arctic Lake
10-30-2016, 05:30 PM

Ok you say there's a lot to it . Is it that your hunting buddy has all the equipment ? The truck, etc. ? There could be someone on here that could help you with that, they may have all the stuff and want to go with you, split the meat if you bag a bull. Ask for help
Arctic Lake

2448Mike
10-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Saw lots of deer in the area between 70 mile and 100 mile, to the east of the highway. Were lots of cuts there and saw a few moose too. Best bet, check google earth or download satellite images in hunt buddy and look for cut blocks, power line / pipeline swaths etc. Hope you find something!

10-30-2016, 06:31 PM
Amazing how many people get on a guy for having his partner back out. There is a lot to a moose hunt, especially if you are not very experienced in them. How about helping him with his question rather than telling him to do something he already said he couldn't.