PDA

View Full Version : Shooting from a boat

haligan
09-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Hey guys, I am looking for some clarification on shooting from a boat. Growing up in northern BC, I always thought the rule was you could shoot from a boat as long as the engine was off and motor raised. I just got into another boat and the regs say no shooting from a vehicle or boat propelled by a motor. My question is, If the engine is off and motor raised, is it still considered propelled? I was hoping to float a few rivers this year.

lorneparker1
09-22-2016, 04:30 PM
you cant shoot with any forward motion either. meaning if you are under power and see something and cut the engine, if you still have forward motion you are breaking the law

srupp
09-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Hmmm if the motor is off, the motor is in the raised position, and no forward movement your boat isn't being propelled by a motor , it's stationary on a body of water..you are in compliance..shoot straight..
Cheers
Srupp

tyreguy
09-22-2016, 05:07 PM
Had the same question for a CO a few years back and I asked him the interpretation of the rule. I have a jet boat with an inboard jet and I wanted to know how to lift the leg.
If the motor is off and the key is removed from the ignition (on a jet) it would be considered as off/disabled - is what we came up with as acceptable.
Many of the boat rules in the regulations pertain to waterfowl hunting.
But.......you may want to check with your local CO to see what he says. It is in the regs but there is some area for interpretation.

Barracuda
09-22-2016, 05:11 PM
I hope this helps as there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there .

==========Motor Vehicle

- means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which is designed to be self propelled, and includes an ATV or snowmobile, but does not include a device designed to be moved by human, animal or wind power; a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks; or a boat propelled by motorized power.

-========

Power Boat

- means a boat, canoe or yacht powered by electric, gasoline, oil, steam or other mechanical means, but does not include a boat powered manually nor a boat with an outboard motor provided the motor is tilted or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready for immediate use.

====================

============= it is unlawful to (20)
to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor.

21=========to hunt migratory birds from a power boat, 21. unless the boat is beached, resting at anchor or fastened within or tied immediately along side a fixed hunting blind.

haligan
09-22-2016, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. I do believe there is a small amount of grey area with forward motion, as in if I was traveling downstream before I cut the motor, the river will still be carry me forward. I just want to make sure we are always in compliance. The only reason this came up was I was talking with a boat builder recently and he said the rules around shooting from a boat had changed in the last few years,however I cannot find what he was referring to, which was there was absolutely no shooting at all from a boat.

Spy
09-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Carry and drop anchor, problem solved :-)

swampthing
09-22-2016, 07:13 PM
I was in this situation before. We were up by the Yukon border jet boating up a river to a moose hunting spot. I spotted a huge bull that looked the 60incher I was holding out for! Without making direct eye contact which would spook him, we boated right by him pretending we didn't see him. Once out of sight my buddy cut the motor. I quickly loaded 2 rounds into my custom 444 marlin guide gun and chambered one. As we floated into view of the huge bull I did my best to steady him in the 2 power scope from the rocking boat and fired. I missed that great bull and he was gone. I had my partner leave me there and I hunted for him all day with no luck. I recall the key was probably in the ignition still as we floated by but we figured we were legal. That was 10 plus years ago and I remember it well.

two-feet
09-22-2016, 07:53 PM
I was in this situation before. We were up by the Yukon border jet boating up a river to a moose hunting spot. I spotted a huge bull that looked the 60incher I was holding out for! Without making direct eye contact which would spook him, we boated right by him pretending we didn't see him. Once out of sight my buddy cut the motor. I quickly loaded 2 rounds into my custom 444 marlin guide gun and chambered one. As we floated into view of the huge bull I did my best to steady him in the 2 power scope from the rocking boat and fired. I missed that great bull and he was gone. I had my partner leave me there and I hunted for him all day with no luck. I recall the key was probably in the ignition still as we floated by but we figured we were legal. That was 10 plus years ago and I remember it well.

Ahh! The one that got away! Good story. The last 2 bulls that i have shot were both from the front of a canoe. Its such a nice way to hunt and the moose will often let you paddle right up, both were shot at about 30 yds. I hear ya about the boat rocking, if there is any wind on the water the shot can be challenging.

Im headed up to the Yukon border tomorrow, looking for big bulls from the canoe of course!

takla1
09-22-2016, 07:59 PM
Have a good buddy who has hunted the Stuart for yrs,they head upstream first thing about 20 miles then float back/no power, hunting.Never had a problem and have shot numerous animals
takla

haligan
09-22-2016, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the responses and stories. We are leaving Wednesday for 3 weeks floating rivers. Very excited at the possibility of taking a moose this year.