PDA

View Full Version : lowa tibet gtx - how snug is too snug?

twoSevenO
09-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Got a pair of lowa Tibet GTX boots in 11.5 to replace my aging Meindls. Wearing them around the house I can't tell if i should have gone "wide" instead of the "medium" width boots. How can i tell?
The medium model is their standard, and I believe they are "D" width. The wide model is "EE".

They fit good length wise. Fit well around the toes and heel. Widest part of the foot feels a bit snug though. Can't tell if its just because they're new compared to my old meindls, or if it would end up being too snug and causing issues.
Anyone have a pair? How much did they stretch after breaking them in? I feel with the full rubber rand around them that they wouldn't be able to stretch much at all.

Foot measures about 4 3/8" at widest point when standing with weight down on the foot.

lorneparker1
09-22-2016, 04:33 PM
I own the same boot. They are snug but they are supposed to be. I bought the wide because I have a wide foot. I got blisters breaking them in but break in period as minimal ( about 25miles) and they are the best I've ever worn. Based on what you describe I would say they are fitting the way they are supposed to.

Lorne

Fella
09-22-2016, 04:43 PM
X2 took me a bit to break them in but they're fine now, very comfortable.

twoSevenO
09-22-2016, 07:31 PM
I own the same boot. They are snug but they are supposed to be. I bought the wide because I have a wide foot. I got blisters breaking them in but break in period as minimal ( about 25miles) and they are the best I've ever worn. Based on what you describe I would say they are fitting the way they are supposed to.

Lorne

Thanks! How wide is your foot? Curious how the width compares to mine if you are happy with the wides.

And where did you get blisters? I know every foot is different, but i have a big scar on my heel from a childhood accident and the skin there is way more sensitive than the other heel.

BRvalley
09-23-2016, 08:40 AM
my feet are also 4 3/8 and I'm wearing the hi cut Tibet in 11.5 regular width, snug at first but broke in nicely....the boots give me plenty of versatility to lace them up tighter or looser, thick or double socks, different insole for summer and fall, it's a very good fit for me

really hard to gauge a boots true fit before it's broken in and it really depends on your personal fit, you know best, so maybe worth trying the wide model?

lowas seem to be reported to fit small and have reputation for shrinking (big thread if you search here)...my first pair was size 11, had to get rid of them and get the 11.5....very happy now

twoSevenO
09-23-2016, 11:31 AM
my feet are also 4 3/8 and I'm wearing the hi cut Tibet in 11.5 regular width, snug at first but broke in nicely....the boots give me plenty of versatility to lace them up tighter or looser, thick or double socks, different insole for summer and fall, it's a very good fit for me

really hard to gauge a boots true fit before it's broken in and it really depends on your personal fit, you know best, so maybe worth trying the wide model?

lowas seem to be reported to fit small and have reputation for shrinking (big thread if you search here)...my first pair was size 11, had to get rid of them and get the 11.5....very happy now

I thought it was the Scarpa boots that had a shrinking issue?

The problem is that you can't afford the luxury of breaking them in, unless you're sure they will still work perfectly after breaking in. Because if they don't you're f***ed. Can't return them then.

I went and ordered a pair of 11.5 in WIDE off the internet, so we'll see when they get here i'll compare and decide which pair to return.

BRvalley
09-23-2016, 12:30 PM
I understand the luxury thing, it's a tough call....any leather boot can have shrinking issues if not cared for properly, but seems to be somewhat common with lowas

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?100658-Heat-shrunk-boots-fix/page6&highlight=lowa+tibet

khoffnbud
09-23-2016, 02:01 PM
if they are snug thats good, but keep in mind they're not gonna stretch out much. And as others have mentioned, they will more than likely will shrink in the off season, mine did. to the point where i had to get rid of them.

twoSevenO
09-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Well the thread that was linked by BRValley shows them shrinking from being too close to the fire/stove. That i can understand. but i don't understand why they would shrink in the off season. that doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like a lot of risk and issues for such expensive boots. Maybe i should just stick to my $300 Cabela's Meindls that never shrunk and never even needed a break in period. hmmmmm.

khoffnbud
09-25-2016, 11:17 AM
Well the thread that was linked by BRValley shows them shrinking from being too close to the fire/stove. That i can understand. but i don't understand why they would shrink in the off season. that doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like a lot of risk and issues for such expensive boots. Maybe i should just stick to my $300 Cabela's Meindls that never shrunk and never even needed a break in period. hmmmmm.

i got them soaked on my last hunt of the season, they dried in the off season. They shrunk more than I was able to stretch/rebreak in when August came around. Wet leather shrinks when it dries, makes sense to me. But yeah, expensive, the break in for me was long, I would look at something else.

wiggy
09-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Cold weather I always buy 1/2 size up. Extra insoles no problem. Extra socks no problem
ive worn out a lot of boots
currently in hunter extremes in a 12
and tibets in a 11.5 Which I wish were 12s
They do shrink
Still the best boots for my feet that I get the most mileage out of
like some of the other boots but have a list of why I don't own them now
best longest wearing boot without a doubt are limmers. Had mine a long time
just packed out a solo 6 spike bull. Took me 10 hours lol
love the hunters

sheephunterab
09-27-2016, 04:37 PM
If they are quite snug I'd say go for the wides. I've worn Tibets for a dozen or more years and never experienced any shrinkage issues.

jacksondog
09-27-2016, 06:31 PM
Bought the Lowa Tibet in a size 11 this year and have never bought an EE width but with this boot the D width was to tight, EE fit perfect.

Squamch
09-29-2016, 08:13 AM
I just bought a pair of these, coupled with a set of superfeet insoles, on Friday. I was concerned about break in, but after 12km on Sunday, they're feeling pretty damn good! They felt pretty snug and stiff when I tried them on, but I'm digging them now.
Getting boots to fit my feet properly is hard, I've got wide fronts, a really narrow heel, and super tall arches. The locking lace loop thing for the lower section helps a lot with that.

twoSevenO
10-05-2016, 07:04 PM
Well, decided to get the "wide" model and time will tell. I figure it's better to be a little too wide than a little too narrow and have blisters.

they do not feel that comfy on the bottom of my feet though. I think everyone is right and it's most likely the insoles. I will try to find a pair of superfeet insoles that everyone seems so fond of and try that.

Mark-R
09-30-2018, 05:07 PM
I just got a pair of Tibet wide size 11 and put them through a good 3 day test and they are comfortable out of the box. (normally wear size 11 and have wide feet 4.5").
I ordered online directly from Lowa.ca and was hoping to get it right the first time so thanks for everyone who posted info in this thread.
With my foot standing on the stock insole, I have almost a thumb width past my big toe.
For foot beds I transfered my superfeet green from previous boots.
I did a one hour initial walk up the ski out near my place. Felt good to warm up the leather for the first time. No pressure points, just limited lacing snuggness due to new leather.
Then off for a 3 day hunt climbing 1000's of meters over 3 days. They saw steep heather and grass then plenty of steep scree, talus fields, rock scrambling and snow in the high alpine.
I never got a hint of a blister. I would re-lace frequently as the leather formed to my foot, each time getting a snugger fit. This made traversing and downhilling much better as time went on.
Last day saw lots of climbing followed by the walk back to the truck with camp on my back.
Definitely tired and a bit sore all over by the end but my feet could have kept going.
Compared to my previous light mountaineering boots (Scarpa Escape) the Tibets have better ankle support, walk better on trail with a loaded pack, perform well in high angle terrain and feel more agile (talus fields) than the stiffer soled Scarpas.
I'm very happy with these boots so far.

BCHoyt
09-30-2018, 06:08 PM
I have the medium fit.. Im not sure if I should have gone wide or not as I do have wide feet... Let me put it this way. All day on my feet Im totally ok.. If Im wearing them to the hunt.. Say over an hour drive.. my feet hurt.. Now I just wearing my running shoes or crocs til I get somewhere.. then put em on.. The big test will be on my sheep hunt.

Squamch
09-30-2018, 08:24 PM
I have the medium fit.. Im not sure if I should have gone wide or not as I do have wide feet... Let me put it this way. All day on my feet Im totally ok.. If Im wearing them to the hunt.. Say over an hour drive.. my feet hurt.. Now I just wearing my running shoes or crocs til I get somewhere.. then put em on.. The big test will be on my sheep hunt.

That's how mine feel. Also wouldn't waste money on superfast again. Those were totally flat and punched out in a couple day's use. Sole brand from Mark's are my choice now.