PDA

View Full Version : Where to go - Gravel Pit Sight In

coyotejoe
09-22-2016, 11:26 AM
hello my friends.

I use to go - years ago - to a pit just east of Mission, up a road I believe is called Salisbury or Sylvester..?
If you are familiar with the gravel pit, side of the road range spot; that was typically 100 yrd to 125 yards - can you tell me what road i take off the Hwy 7 to get there?
Its been years since i was there last.

OR - maybe... you have a spot you wouldn't mind sharing with us. I need to sight in my scope and break in a new gun, whilst trying different ammo to get the right ammo. So if you have a place that you wish to share with me - all of us..lol - then please do. l wont go further then Aggasiz or Chilliwack; but will venture into their mountain ranges.

FortBoy
09-22-2016, 11:31 AM
sylvester is the road youre thinking of im pretty sure. usually a mess up there filled with people and shooters, be careful

dmuth
09-22-2016, 11:57 AM
The Fraser valley special area hunting licence map shows this gravel pit as closed to the discharge of fire arms http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2015.pdf

adriaticum
09-22-2016, 12:11 PM
Go to the range, don't do it in the bush especially when you have such a great range in Mission.

coyotejoe
09-22-2016, 12:11 PM
thanks for taking the time.
I remember - vaguely - that I was standing on shells all over the place up there, but it served its purpose. In an out of there quickly, after a dozen rounds or so back 12/15 years ago.

coyotejoe
09-22-2016, 12:12 PM
the Mission range is what i am seriously considering. i have been reading about it - for the couple of buck$ it cost, probably worth it...

finaddict
09-22-2016, 12:14 PM
I was up Sylvester Road about a month ago to take the Tracker for a test run after some mechanical repairs. It was packed with guys shooting firearms of ALL sorts (legal restricted and illegal) and lots of careless ranges had been set up that had shooting lines across roads, down hills and in across valleys. In general, there was a lot of stupidity up there. I wouldn't go up there again for anything. I won't mind taking a 2 hour drive to find a different locale for test runs and I will do my sighting in at a range as always.

If you go, wear hi-vis orange, bullet proof kevlar.........:eek:

Edzzed
09-23-2016, 09:04 AM
I went up the road to Stave lake. You can get to the back of Alouette lake. I hung a target on a dead tree and took some shots there. View is awesome. Picture is looking towards the USA. http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/edzzed/alouette%20lake_zpsjhtnam37.jpg

Whonnock Boy
09-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Public sight in at mission are weekends from 9-3. 20 bucks. Under cover, legal, and safe. Only downfall is it can be busy at those times, but you will be doing it at a sanctioned site, and you won't get shot. ;)

ruger#1
09-23-2016, 10:39 AM
The Fraser valley special area hunting licence map shows this gravel pit as closed to the discharge of fire arms http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/docs/FVSAH2015.pdfThat area isn't the one he is talking about. The pit is about 8KMs back on gravel road.

coyotejoe
09-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and time...it is greatly appreciated.

russm
09-23-2016, 02:12 PM
If you go to mission get there early or you'll be waiting all day for a bench, and try to get a bench in the center so you can have your targets straight in front of you, one of the times i went i got stuck on a right side bench, i had to shoot way left in order to use the 50 yard berm.