PDA

View Full Version : The basics, tips, tricks, info for having a successful hunt

ff89
09-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Being a new hunter and having no one too learn from, I've gathered my limited knowledge from this forum and books. Do you guys have and tips, tricks or simple basic things that come too mind that could help someone green have a successful hunt or even just better their odds? Broad topic, I know, but the time is now and I know I am not the only new hunter searching long and hard for as much as I can learn.

BigSkogButt
09-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Get off the road. Move slow, glass often. Logging slash or timber, same rules apply.

kilometers
09-21-2016, 10:00 PM
Always be ready. It happens when you least expect it.

nedarb2
09-21-2016, 10:26 PM
I have been in the same boat as you, started hunting without knowing anything and from a basically anti-hunting family. Forum, friends, and Internet have helped me along.
Biggest tip(s) I can give to learn is ask and go with others any chance you get. You will see everyone has their own style of hunting and theories on how to do it and why animals do what they do, but there's a few common denominators. Go slow, always be ready. Game seems to always appear when you least expect it. When your hunting, it's all about the quality of coverage you put into a slash or area, not the quantity. If you swear there's nothing there, look again and once more.
Second thing is hunt hard, and don't loose focus. When your not seeing much the mind wanders and the quality of hunting reduced. Keep your head in the game it's all about right place and right time be ready and stay sharp and alert.

Frango
09-21-2016, 11:29 PM
nedard2 has some good suggestions. Google earth or a back roads map is a good start. From there look for travel areas . Ponds, lakes or game trails. Use a call for what ever animal you are hunting. Patience is the key. Walk, watch and listen . Successful hunting is work. Sometimes you get lucky and jump something on the road but hard effort most of the time gets reward. I have had Moose or Elk in my freezer 80% of the years I have hunted not because I have followed my suggestions it's because I have had hunting partners who know what it takes. I have been very fortunate to have them as hunting buds. It starts with your attitude .

xcaribooer
09-21-2016, 11:35 PM
Here are a few random thoughts on the topic of having a good and hopefully successful hunt,,
"The definition of Luck is when preparation and opportunity meet" create your own luck by doing the proper preparation, and the opportunity part is putting yourself in an area that you have done your homework on and you think will have the game you seek.
spend time to go over ALL your gear before hand to make sure it is reliable and going to perform for you.
one thing I have started to do in recent years is keep a little notebook with me in camp and jot down little reminders of things I can fix , do , buy or make better for next year as I think of them, this way you don't forget about it when you get back home to the daily grind
Make a comfortable camp.
try to take care of as much as you can on the home front before your trip so you can relax and enjoy your holiday without thinking of the stuff you have to deal with when you get back home.
try to be in some sort of reasonable shape for your hunt especially if it will involve a lot of hiking.
buy the best gear you can afford

and yes don't get discouraged, always be alert. animals have a way of appearing when you least expect it

BigBanger
09-22-2016, 12:15 AM
Some things I've learned along the way.

Don't party at camp the night before, hunting hungover sucks.
Get up early and get out "there" before first light.
Slow down!!
Good boots are worth the money.
A sharp knife cuts better then a dull one..

two-feet
09-22-2016, 06:38 AM
Make your plan according to which way the wind is blowing. Be constantly aware of what direction your scent is travelling

Rellick
09-22-2016, 07:09 AM
As a new hunter this is a great thread!! Thanks for starting it and for the contributions.

markathome
09-22-2016, 07:22 AM
Like anything, the best way to accelerate your knowledge and skill base is to find a mentor and/or more experienced hunters and tag along. The analogy holds true in sports - my game is always upped when the guys I'm riding with / climbing with / golfing with are better than me.

I'd recommend joining your local rod and gun club. Volunteer for a committee of some sort and make friends. The old guys at the R/G clubs are generally tired of doing all the heavy lifting (organizationally speaking) - some new energy is always welcome.

Here's a few nuggets from a meat hunter (family of four and we don't buy meat at the grocery store - except the occasional pack of bacon for chowders):

Only hunt where you see fresh sign. It may feel like a good spot, but unless you are seeing deer, fresh deer beds or poop, pull out and find a new spot. First dusting of snow or first deep frosts really help here. Those days are just around the corner. Fresh rain helps as well.
Don't hike when hunting whitetail. Find a something that works as a blind and tuck into a hidey hole and wait.
Mule Deer are curious. If you jump one. Wait, let the forest quiet again. Wait and glass some more and about half the time he's still there and sometimes he wheels back to check you out. This depends on location, if it's a big pressure area and every Elmer Fudd West of Radium has been shooting up the place you'll never see him again.
Buy wind detector and use it. If you're on the move - always have the wind in your face. Almost pointless to move with the wind at your back, the bucks will smell you hundreds of yards away and simply walk away into the forest never to be seen.
Hike with a headlamp and be in your zone an hour before legal shooting. Hunt until legal light is gone. Always. Successful hunts need every minute of light.
Take advantage of the regs/LEH and hunt Doe. The experience will give you confidence.
Make it easy on yourself and hunt areas with high animal counts. I'm assuming you're Kelowna based - if you are head to the Cherryville area with a back roads map book and set your self up in an area where crown land meets a farmers fence. Set up looking down the long run of the fence (Crown side).
Heading to low pressure areas is more rewarding but a gamble. Put a deer (or two) in the freezer first - then look for the challenge.
Stick to your plan - if you're hunting deer - leave the grouse alone until you decide to hunt grouse. Packing around two guns and being distracted by the chickens isn't helping the freezer.

Good luck and have fun!

Keta1969
09-22-2016, 08:06 AM
All good advice. The only thing I would add is know your rifle and your own limitations as far as shooting goes. Practice lots and if you shoot at an animal go and look even if you're sure you missed. Good Luck