PDA

View Full Version : Elk or moose hunting in dawson creek.

Dorarem
09-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Hello guys! just got this year all my licences and i am going for a small hunting trip to Dawson Creek from Kamloops october 7th-10th. I have moose, elk tags. Any suggestion where exactly go or tips will be appreciated. Or maybe someone knows land owners who I can ask for permission to hunt ? thanks

RackStar
09-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Im having flashbacks from "FSJelkhunter" last week......

Rhyno
09-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Oh boy... Asking for info on your first post is generally not well received! Someone may chime in but if not stick around, contribute and you will find people to be quite helpful. However most elk spot are guarded and not given up too easily. Best of luck on your hunt.

Tron
09-21-2016, 06:16 PM
Head south past pouce coopy ( bad spelling). Logging roads that way have moose

srthomas75
09-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Im having flashbacks from "FSJelkhunter" last week......
Yes, that guy hit it off with everyone on here it seemed.

walks with deer
09-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Head to delrio its by jackfish lake lots of game there most hunters will have left by then.

I have seen elk and moose every day when there and other hunter but they are there.

oct 7-10th sounds like a long ways with little time to hunt.

if you leave the evening of the 6th expect if leaving by 5pm you will be up that way around 3:30 in the morning do to road construction.
the pine pass is nasty at nigh espeacially this time of year it could take longer.

if you have to work on the 11th expect to leave the morning of the 10th.

your time would be better spent in the region you live in pursuing deer.

trust me i hunt the peace and kamloops i know what i am talking about.

Dorarem
09-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Yes, thats what i was thinking. closer to alberta might get some luck

Dorarem
09-21-2016, 07:00 PM
jackfish lake is pretty far from dawson creek. yeah, short weekends, but that northern bc, lots of games up there. who nows what can happen.. righ. U can go and got a moose in first day, or spent 15 days and see nothing. Thats why we call it hunting.

RackStar
09-21-2016, 07:01 PM
You have way better odds hunting Kamloops mule deer in that time.

walks with deer
09-21-2016, 07:02 PM
I am saying you are trying to hard..pic a area for that short of trip close to home especially if it's your first season and any buck..learn where you live harvest some meat..further is not always better.

Not to mention a deer is good to learn on..if you don't have a lot of experience elk and moose are heavy and jard to handle..plus there numbers are generally less so they take more experience to find..

boxhitch
09-22-2016, 07:17 AM
who nows what can happen.. righ. U can go and got a moose in first day,egg-zackery . Go for it and put it on the learning curve.
The first 'cold call' on a land owner can make or break a hunt and future hunts, it all adds up.

FsjElkHunter
09-22-2016, 03:28 PM
Lots of land owners that won't let you hunt around Dawson. Lots of grizzly bears too. Hunted south of Dawson the last 4 years. That's why I was looking for new areas. But I heard from other hunters south of Dawson to the one island t
Lake turn off to tumbler. There is suppose to be alot of logging roads off it with alot of game. I haven't gone cause I was looker closer to fort st john. Don't be let down by the opinionated arrogance of some people on here.

walks with deer
09-22-2016, 05:37 PM
well i think rackstar and I where just giving honest opinions.

i have shot game on the first day of many trips.

I have also not even seen game until day 14 on trips.

I was just recommending a new hunter a higher success rate cheaper and easier trip.

if a guy wants to burn gas great go for it you could get lucky.

the peace is full of game but its not a give me.

well thats hunting..

lets face it nobody is going to give over a great spot. but will give general area..

there are animals everywhere but hunting pockets increases the odds.

eric
09-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Remember, Oct 1-15, Moose is closed for rifle, only open for Archery, around Dawson Creek

fearless
09-23-2016, 07:30 AM
You may wanna look at the regs before you go...

Dorarem
09-23-2016, 10:23 AM
i looked already. there is open season for moose in 7-22 and elk 7-32! I decided to stay in Chetwynd. and hunt around there.

FsjElkHunter
09-23-2016, 11:06 AM
I heard of lots of hunters in 7-32 area this year. And I heard from a few people that hunted it not many moose.

cmarrie
10-26-2016, 04:36 PM
How did you do? Any luck?

walks with deer
10-27-2016, 02:08 AM
Myself and others told hI'm hunt at home now he is looking for deer at home...aswell good luck..

Beaverhunter
10-27-2016, 08:31 PM
jackfish lake is pretty far from dawson creek. yeah, short weekends, but that northern bc, lots of games up there. who nows what can happen.. righ. U can go and got a moose in first day, or spent 15 days and see nothing. Thats why we call it hunting.

New hunter asks for advice then tells experienced hunters how hunting goes. Lol