PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Call In Using My Voice..

hunter1947
09-21-2016, 02:58 AM
Just an update on how my hunting has gone this early year..

My partner and me came close to arrowing a decent size bull elk in the bow season ,,my partner was up in a tree stand just before dark set in a 5x6 bull walked within 30 yards of him he only had a 20x20 window to shot at this elk so he did not release his arrow knowing there might be a reflection from a branch the bull litted his head back smelt the air got his wind and bolted ,,the bull was gone game over.

The two of us talked about this later on around the campfire and we both agreed that he did the right thing not shooting that bull elk would be a bad thing to wound this fine animal..

All and all no bull elk down in the bow season for us..

We had spotted a real nice bull elk a 6x6 that would score up around the 300 mark and we new where he would be come opening rifle season we worked over this area and did not find the bull we talked about that bull and that if one of us kept going back that we might get a crack at him ???.

My partner went home as he has to work still I was all by myself I went that evening to set up where we had saw this bull elk I got there early as I was getting my hunting gear together I hear a wolf call not to far away maybe 300 yards down from me should I do my part on helping to control the wolf population ???.

I said to myself do I try to call this wolf in and try to shoot it or pass on it ??? it would ruin my hunt ,,, I have the opportunity so go for it take it out if it comes in using my 7mm mag.

I thought about it and said to myself I am going to go for it the elk hunt will be put on the back burner for today..

I loaded my rifle up and put it aside then started to call with my voice he answered right back to me I gave another call he was coming in I got ready down on one knee about one minute went by after the wolf's last call then there the wolf was it came running out of the timber right towards me I put the crosshairs on him he was about 175 yards out from me he came to a stop I squeezed the trigger the wolf dropped like a rock..

I have been looking for Mr big meaning a WT buck or elk but have not found the one I am looking for,,I am having a great time spending time in nature doing what I love to do,,good luck to all you HBC members stay safe and shoot straight will give an update if and when I do get something..

hunter1947
09-21-2016, 03:16 AM
Here is a few pictures of the male wolf I shot not to clear of a picture of me but has to do when a person is by themselfs.

Just to let all members know that in many regions if you shoot a wolf it has to be inspected by an wolf inspector within
30 days after you shoot a wolf new rule change in green writing in some regions that you hunt..https://youtu.be/B2iI5DalXLY

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/0347.JPG http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1111_-_Copy1.JPG

webley
09-21-2016, 03:50 AM
Well done, you sound a lot like me. Steve!

adamgarbett
09-21-2016, 05:39 AM
That a boy Wayne !!!!!

ItsGrouseTalk
09-21-2016, 05:44 AM
Nice job Wayne! Good karma will come around....

Can I ask if you skinned the wolf or just left it? Out of curiosity :D

hunter1947
09-21-2016, 05:49 AM
Nice job Wayne! Good karma will come around....

Can I ask if you skinned the wolf or just left it? Out of curiosity :D

The wolf I shot will be inspected within a few days and then it will be skinned and tanned ,,it's to much money to get a head rug done the Taxidermy said it would cost me 14.00 canadian dollars ,,thanks but no thanks a tanning job will cost around the $300.00 dollar mark that I can except..

RackStar
09-21-2016, 06:30 AM
Nice wolf! Good job man.
I love that rifle too, what are you shooting?

yamadirt 426
09-21-2016, 06:39 AM
well done. Nice dog

hunter1947
09-21-2016, 06:57 AM
Nice wolf! Good job man.
I love that rifle too, what are you shooting?

This old rifle is part of me its has put down 90% of all animals I have took over the years I bought it back in the day at Robinson sporting good store in 1966 Victoria when they sold rifles etc there ,,the make was a cougar vore 30-06 with a mauser action bolt shot a few animals with it when it was stock,,

In 1972 I got it modified to a 28 inch douglas supreme barrel and had the bolt modified the scope is a 3x9 leupold that cost me 49.00 then this scope has been bullet proof over its lifetime not one problem with that scope..

Gill Carmikle did the work on the gun to make it into a 7mm mag back in the day in 1972 ,,he lived in gordon head Saanich this man was good at his workmanship all said and done the hole job cost me 142 dollars with tax ,,this rifle shoots as good as it did when it was new back in the day..

I load my own bullet I use a 160r Nosler Partition,4350 IMR powder,160g puts out 3000 FPS I love using this load..

180grainer
09-21-2016, 07:01 AM
Big feet on that guy. Good shooting.

BigfishCanada
09-21-2016, 07:22 AM
Wayner, beautiful!! Can we see a pic of the final when its on your wall or floor?

Good2bCanadian
09-21-2016, 07:34 AM
Great wolf!
Well done.

hunter1947
09-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Wayner, beautiful!! Can we see a pic of the final when its on your wall or floor?

You will see for sure..Latter..

Jrax
09-21-2016, 08:34 AM
Nice work, and good on you sacrificing an elk day! That is a tough decision to make.

skibum
09-21-2016, 08:40 AM
Nice colour on that wolf

Glenny
09-21-2016, 09:01 AM
Right on 47. I've heard your wolf howl on another thread. Works like a hot damn!!

RackStar
09-21-2016, 09:28 AM
This old rifle is part of me its has put down 90% of all animals I have took over the years I bought it back in the day at Robinson sporting good store in 1966 Victoria when they sold rifles etc there ,,the make was a cougar vore 30-06 with a mauser action bolt shot a few animals with it when it was stock,,

In 1972 I got it modified to a 28 inch douglas supreme barrel and had the bolt modified the scope is a 3x9 leupold that cost me 49.00 then this scope has been bullet proof over its lifetime not one problem with that scope..

Gill Carmikle did the work on the gun to make it into a 7mm mag back in the day in 1972 ,,he lived in gordon head Saanich this man was good at his workmanship all said and done the hole job cost me 142 dollars with tax ,,this rifle shoots as good as it did when it was new back in the day..

I load my own bullet I use a 160r Nosler Partition,4350 IMR powder,160g puts out 3000 FPS I love using this load..

Very cool history. I love old rugged rifles. Sounds like leupolds are built to last!
Cant wait to see the wolf when it's done.
Have a good season!

Walking Buffalo
09-21-2016, 09:34 AM
The wolf I shot will be inspected within a few days and then it will be skinned and tanned ,,it's to much money to get a head rug done the Taxidermy said it would cost me 14.00 canadian dollars ,,thanks but no thanks a tanning job will cost around the $300.00 dollar mark that I can except..

Good call on choosing to go after the wolf. The elk spirits will reward you. :)

How are you caring for the wolf before the inspection? Seems like a long time before skinning it out....

Backwoods
09-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Awesome wolf!!! Great work doing your part, I also was lucky to drop a wolf this August, and last year in August also, it's to bad their coats armt the nicest in August for a rug! Skull turned out great thoe I boiled

gcreek
09-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Thank you Wayne. One less.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-21-2016, 11:26 AM
Good stuff, Wayne! Glad to see you connected after all those close encounters.

Congrats!

hunter1947
09-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Good call on choosing to go after the wolf. The elk spirits will reward you. :)

How are you caring for the wolf before the inspection? Seems like a long time before skinning it out....

the whole wolf is in the freezer will take it out next week to unthaw for inspection then the hid comes off the same day and then salted then off to the Taxidermy..

LBM
09-21-2016, 11:44 AM
the whole wolf is in the freezer will take it out next week to unthaw for inspection then the hid comes off the same day and then salted then off to the Taxidermy..

You do no you don't need the whole wolf for inspection, only need hide and skull. May make it easier for next time.