PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in 7-38

tylerhadden
09-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone had any info or tips on moose and elk hunting in 7-38. I have a grizzly draw up there and I'm hoping to do some moose and elk hunting as well. I've been up there once before and I know the area a bit. Is there lots of places to hike around there? Is there anyone who can point me in the general direction of where they might be? It's a pretty big area to be hiking around, without knowing where to go. I'm going to be heading up there the first week of October. I'm not asking to any of your sweet spots just looking for some general tips. Any help about the area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Tyler.

butcher
09-20-2016, 10:25 PM
Make sure you have a proper two way radio. The logging traffic is insane.

tylerhadden
09-21-2016, 02:07 AM
Ya I definitely noticed that the last time that I was up there. Thanks

Jrax
09-21-2016, 08:31 AM
I spent time in 7-28 just south of 7-38 for work and in that area a guy would have to wear down a lot of boot leather checking areas to find where any animals were hanging out. Where I found sign was right along drainages well away from roads due to heavy forestry, mining and hunting. When I look at 7-38 the one big difference is the omineca river and protected area. I would focus efforts on the river and most likely the park area. Call the lodge at germansen landing if its still open and that's going to be a good chance at helpful info... especially if you stay a night or two there. Can you do a float down or bring jet boat? Lodge might do a drop off at river location as well, I think they have a boat and they are in the middle of the park.
good luck!

09-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Not to be negative but ....... be careful, years ago we had a number of FN issues up there and help is a long way away ... RCMP in Ft Ware, Mackenzie and actually they were of no use to us as its their word against yours. There are other threads on this area but .... I wouldnt want to be alone when facing certain circumstances with them and sure wouldnt want to leave my camp unattended again. All fueled by alcohol and they had strength in numbers along with firearms. Personally, it was a terrible experience I dont need to relive. Events occurred near Inginika. Some terrific loggers saved our bacon.

Good luck to you though.

tylerhadden
09-22-2016, 01:48 AM
Not to be negative but ....... be careful, years ago we had a number of FN issues up there and help is a long way away ... RCMP in Ft Ware, Mackenzie and actually they were of no use to us as its their word against yours. There are other threads on this area but .... I wouldnt want to be alone when facing certain circumstances with them and sure wouldnt want to leave my camp unattended again. All fueled by alcohol and they had strength in numbers along with firearms. Personally, it was a terrible experience I dont need to relive. Events occurred near Inginika. Some terrific loggers saved our bacon.

Good luck to you though.

Curly top, I have heard of people having issues with some of the first nations people up there. For the most part I'm going to try and stay away from the Inginika area as I believe that is not too far from a reservation. Hopefully we don't run into the same problems that you had. Thanks

tylerhadden
09-22-2016, 01:51 AM
I spent time in 7-28 just south of 7-38 for work and in that area a guy would have to wear down a lot of boot leather checking areas to find where any animals were hanging out. Where I found sign was right along drainages well away from roads due to heavy forestry, mining and hunting. When I look at 7-38 the one big difference is the omineca river and protected area. I would focus efforts on the river and most likely the park area. Call the lodge at germansen landing if its still open and that's going to be a good chance at helpful info... especially if you stay a night or two there. Can you do a float down or bring jet boat? Lodge might do a drop off at river location as well, I think they have a boat and they are in the middle of the park.
good luck!

Jrax, I don't currently have a jet boat or anything. I'm going to give the lodge a call tomorrow and see if they can take me down river like you suggested. Hopefully they are still open. Thanks for the info