PDA

View Full Version : Lack of government moose kill inspectors draw ire of guides, hunters

Ohwildwon
09-19-2016, 09:38 PM
http://www.theprovince.com/news/local+news/lack+government+moose+kill+inspectors+draw+guides+ hunters/12204753/story.html

Looks like the goabc need to cough up some more money...:razz:

Mulehahn
09-19-2016, 09:57 PM
The whole thing is a joke. What good does it do to count how many moose are taken by Resdient/Non-resident hunters to study the impact it has on first nations when they don't have to do the same. This is not an attack on First Nations, it is just that the system is flawed. The answer is simple. EVERYONE who shoots a moose in those 2 regions has to phone it in, say where and when they shot it and mail or drop off an incisor to the C/Os office in Smithers. Then maybe you could get some usable data.

This would also avoid the issue of who controls the information. The Tahltan are one of the most divided people on the planet (yes, I do know quite a few). The "wildlife guardian group" mentioned is only one of many. To choose a side in that debate will not end well for anyone.

Bear Chaser
09-19-2016, 11:12 PM
Pretty meaningless if the Stewards of the Land aren't actively inspecting and reporting all of their own harvests.
IMO it's just a layer of bullshit they have thrown up to deflect attention and responsibility from their own harvest of cow moose.
Ask any rancher anywhere in the world if he culls healthy productive females from his herd when he is trying to buildup his total numbers and he will look at you like you are the village idiot. Other than pure unadulterated ignorance or a complete lack of intelligence I don't know why this group of people cannot comprehend this same simple principle with regards to moose.

Surrey Boy
09-19-2016, 11:32 PM
I don't know why this group of people cannot comprehend this same simple principle with regards to moose.

Prisoner's Dilemma or Diner's Dilemma.

boxhitch
09-20-2016, 06:24 AM
Anyone want to guess as to the rate of compliance to CI's in the province , for elk or moose ?
100%? 80? 40?
Pretty high for those that go in for processing , what about the home butcher ?

09-20-2016, 08:13 AM
It should be COMPLETELY MANDATORY that every licensed Hunter that purchases a Hunting license and ALL F/N hunters HAVE to report the HARVESTS at the end of each license year. Plus the Mandatory Inspections continue where needed.

Every one, F/N, Residents, Non Residents EVERY one ! make it the LAW ,,, no exceptions ...... not to difficult. How can you say this would have negative affect, except on those that are not respectable of the Law, Poachers or FN over harvesting.

This Would be a HUGE AID in Game Management PERIOD.

ANY ONE in Government LISTENING ??

CT

TPK
09-20-2016, 08:27 AM
One of the problems with FN's reporting is how remote most of the Reservations are. That would be a problem if they couldn't simply phone in the info and mail/courier in the tooth/teeth. I know in the Williams Lake area many FN's support a more selective moose harvest (Bulls only) and have "Respect the Cow" signs up to indicate this.

Compulsory reporting in Region 5 may give the regional biologists some more info but really, we're LEH only here for moose. Simple harvest data (did you fill your LEH tag or tags) along with the MFLNRO's population surveys (fixed wing and other) should give them pretty good data without the physical inspection and tooth for truth (JMO). The MFLNRO branch in Williams Lake has also done some collaring with moose in the past and so they have that data as well.

HarryToolips
09-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Pretty meaningless if the Stewards of the Land aren't actively inspecting and reporting all of their own harvests.
IMO it's just a layer of bullshit they have thrown up to deflect attention and responsibility from their own harvest of cow moose.
Ask any rancher anywhere in the world if he culls healthy productive females from his herd when he is trying to buildup his total numbers and he will look at you like you are the village idiot. Other than pure unadulterated ignorance or a complete lack of intelligence I don't know why this group of people cannot comprehend this same simple principle with regards to moose.
I agree, it's really sad..

HarryToolips
09-20-2016, 01:42 PM
It should be COMPLETELY MANDATORY that every licensed Hunter that purchases a Hunting license and ALL F/N hunters HAVE to report the HARVESTS at the end of each license year. Plus the Mandatory Inspections continue where needed.

Every one, F/N, Residents, Non Residents EVERY one ! make it the LAW ,,, no exceptions ...... not to difficult. How can you say this would have negative affect, except on those that are not respectable of the Law, Poachers or FN over harvesting.

This Would be a HUGE AID in Game Management PERIOD.

ANY ONE in Government LISTENING ??

CT
And this is the correct answer..

IronNoggin
09-20-2016, 01:53 PM
And this is the correct answer..

Yes it certainly is.
However I personally don't believe I'll live long enough to see it occur.
Gutless governments will NOT address anything related to FN's whatsoever, and the FN's themselves have a handful of rather selfish reasons for that type of information remaining "confidential" as it were.

Sad... :sad:
Nog

boxhitch
09-20-2016, 04:04 PM
COMPLETELY MANDATORY that every licensed Hunter that purchases a Hunting license and ALL F/N hunters HAVE to report the HARVESTS at the end of each license year. Plus the Mandatory Inspections continue where needed.More pointless rules , for what? Do you think that because the RH offers up info , that FNs will suddenly start complying where they are not now?
The regulated hunter take is a small portion of the death rate of any wildlife. Antler restrictions are the safe guard. Calf/fawn/lamb survival is far more important than 'how many?'.

sdurango41
09-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Maybe all LEH should be completed as successful or non successful online once you return from the hunt. You still carry the tag and the LEH authorization but it is mandatory to fill out whether you shot an animal or whether you did not shoot an animal online. Then at the end of the season all LEH hunters (hell all hunters that have purchased a licence - LEH or not) mail in there licence showing that it had been clipped or not clipped. Then the GOVT will know just how many LEH animals or deer or whatever have been taken.

HarryToolips
09-20-2016, 10:06 PM
Yes it certainly is.
However I personally don't believe I'll live long enough to see it occur.
Gutless governments will NOT address anything related to FN's whatsoever, and the FN's themselves have a handful of rather selfish reasons for that type of information remaining "confidential" as it were.

Sad... :sad:
Nog
The problem the way I see it is the FN's own 'governments' have become too powerful, and like you basically said, have our provincial government by the balllzzzz....the only way we could get them to cooperate with us is to appeal to their 'conservationist ancestral roots'.....lol I know, when hell freezes over..

Surrey Boy
09-20-2016, 11:30 PM
Governments were strong with the Indians, until the courts cut them out.

Activist Judges are legislating from the bench. Declaring longstanding law to mewly be unconstitutional, being so creative in their interpretation as to explain how No actually means Yes.

We are ruled like China, except the Party Chairman is called Chief Justice.

Jack Russell
09-21-2016, 06:09 AM
the railroads should also report - might make us all really sick to know those numbers.

RugDoctor
09-21-2016, 07:18 AM
Governments were strong with the Indians, until the courts cut them out.

Activist Judges are legislating from the bench. Declaring longstanding law to mewly be unconstitutional, being so creative in their interpretation as to explain how No actually means Yes.

We are ruled like China, except the Party Chairman is called Chief Justice.

Agree with the caveat that government now loves what the courts created. The Indian Industry. Far too much government employment has been created on the backs of the Indian.....to "help". Pretty easy to politically justify collecting stupid amounts of tax dollars just to say, "Look how we're fixing this problem we created" all the while fixing nothing at all.

of course it's the courts who benefit most. Talk about employment security

hawk-i
09-21-2016, 11:09 AM
the railroads should also report - might make us all really sick to know those numbers.

Plus all vehicle kills....I worked for a smaller trucking company a while back that had 13 moose collisions in one span of a few months. All collisions were at highway speeds, the moose did not survive.

Yep the 400 yard no hunting zone works great!

TPK
09-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Plus all vehicle kills....

Due to ICBC claims, we know of most of the road kills and they will have stats unlike the railroads.

hawk-i
09-21-2016, 11:49 AM
Due to ICBC claims, we know of most of the road kills and they will have stats unlike the railroads.

This company repaired all moose collisions in house and didn't use ICBC....this was only one company, 13 moose in one fall, the ICBC stats may be off some what.

TPK
09-21-2016, 01:46 PM
This company repaired all moose collisions in house and didn't use ICBC....this was only one company, 13 moose in one fall, the ICBC stats may be off some what.

lol - That don't make no sense at all .. why would they incur that cost and not use the insurance they pay for??? Regardless, I suspect most moose/vehicle encounters do go through ICBC and the few that don't wouldn't skew the stats too badly.

Seeadler
09-22-2016, 01:58 PM
lol - That don't make no sense at all .. why would they incur that cost and not use the insurance they pay for??? Regardless, I suspect most moose/vehicle encounters do go through ICBC and the few that don't wouldn't skew the stats too badly.

Companies are often self insured.

tipper
09-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Highways contractors are required to record all species and the sex that they pick up. I'm sure there is a ton of animals that get hit and bolt off into the bush and later die though.

westcoast meds
09-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Agree with the caveat that government now loves what the courts created. The Indian Industry. Far too much government employment has been created on the backs of the Indian.....to "help". Pretty easy to politically justify collecting stupid amounts of tax dollars just to say, "Look how we're fixing this problem we created" all the while fixing nothing at all.

of course it's the courts who benefit most. Talk about employment security

dido