PDA

View Full Version : 5-2d moose down

andrewscag
09-18-2016, 09:40 PM
I was lucky enough to get my first ever draw this year so I thought I should do my best to fill it. Srupp gave me some great advice, and I headed up this past week to follow it. I was able to pop up for a few days in August to have a look around so I had an idea of what I was getting myself into. I was solo and it sounds like it's still a bit early for the rut. So I planned to nail down some good spots to call from and come back up with a buddy from the 28-30th. Had a great 'no pressure' few days with perfect weather-- just beating around the bush and enjoying myself, saw a few lynx and a great grey owl, and decided to take a look at the southern part of the zone late Wednesday.

Very glad I did. With some more great info from Gone_Fishin and a belly full of fine Quesnel cuisine, I got right to it. Bright and early Thursday I walked into one of the few cuts with any visibility in the area and heard something in the timber to my left. I'd already jumped a few things this week without seeing them so I was determined to find this one. I crept in to see if I could get a look at it and couldn't. So back down the spur I go when I come to another branch to the left. So like anyone would, I walk down that to try to circle around and catch something out. As I turn around to get a clear view, I catch a glimpse of something big and brown at the far end of the cut against the tree line, about 6-700 m away. A bull moose! Conditions are pretty good to stalk. Quiet ground, not yet sunrise, some fog, good cover, wind not really with me though. I start moving as fast as I can without making a sound so that he doesn't wind me. About half an hour later I'm getting pretty close and he's starting to lift his head up a bit too much. I can't get a shot off yet and he's going to bust me. As I crouch there with my heart pounding, the wind starts to flicker a bit. And then it changed up enough to save me! I've got great cover to get within my range, though I won't be able to see him along the way. Just when I start in on the final stalk I see something else at the tree line. It's a cow moose feeding towards me. So now I've got two more eyes, ears, and nostrils to worry about. No way around it though, so I keep going, moving as she drops her head to feed. Finally I'm at the make or break point. Even though I can hear him off in the same direction that he was the last time I saw him, I can't really tell where he'll be once I pop my head out to look. He could be feeding, head down, pointing away, or he could be staring right at me 75' away. I wait until he starts making some noise and take a look. Perfect. He's still at the tree line slowly feeding. Elbow to knee, butt to shoulder, cheek to stock and he's in my sights at 100-125 yards. He's making his way into the trees now with the sun starting to creep into the sky, so I wait until I have clear vitals, and at the last minute fire. The cow explodes off, he bolts forward and drops! Or does he? He could be standing in some low shrubs. So I fire again to be sure since I have a clear view of him and really don't want to have to look for him or haul any farther than the km I'm already going to have to. He yells and I know he's hit for sure.

Back to the truck for my pack and I let him rest for over an hour. I haven't hunted moose and don't want to make a rookie mistake and push him. I make the 15 minute walk back to the spot I shot from and tie a flag. Walk out to the tree he was by when I shot, flagging the way, and get to the spot to find nothing. No moose, no blood, no broken branches, no fur. Nothing. Bad scene and I'm heartbroken thinking I wounded him and he's suffering kms away from here by now with no way for me to end it. Well I better start a grid and start looking for anything to go on. As soon as I step around a shrub there he is, down and about 15' from where I hit him. Not a great shot, but one through the shoulder, and one that cut the jugular just in front of it.

I've gone on too much already but had the best luck of the trip at this point. The hunters camped next to me showed up with their quads after I'd been working on him for a while and basically saved me from a long, hot, exhausting day or two. Court, Lindsay, and especially Gord are some of the best people on earth and treated the animal like it was one theirs, with smiles and laughter all day. Permanently in debt to them. A short 11.5 hours after the first shot was fired and the meat is hung, hands washed, and scotch is poured. The best week of hunting I've ever had comes to a close. Thanks to everyone that had a hand in this, Srupp and Gone_Fishin, I really appreciate the help. Your turn next!

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/keeperdog11/moose%20down.jpg (http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/keeperdog11/media/moose%20down.jpg.html)

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/keeperdog11/me%20with%20head_1.jpg (http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/keeperdog11/media/me%20with%20head_1.jpg.html)

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/keeperdog11/meat%20in%20camp.jpg (http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/keeperdog11/media/meat%20in%20camp.jpg.html)

Caribou_lou
09-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Nice. Some good clean looking meat there!

longwalk
09-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Good job. Looks nice and fat.

nolimits
09-18-2016, 09:55 PM
Nicely done! Congrats On this beauty bull.

Sellis75
09-18-2016, 09:56 PM
congrats! Some good eats for sure!

adriaticum
09-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Great stuff

Blainer
09-18-2016, 10:15 PM
Great share!

mpotzold
09-18-2016, 10:23 PM
Well done & a good write up. The moose fare will be hard to beat.
Really good to hear hunters helping other hunter/s.

srupp
09-18-2016, 11:17 PM
Congrads on a great bull, Cariboo moose are eaters..this year they had tremendous food and water should be great eats .was my privilege to chat with you and share whatever the heck I've learned over the decades..Betty Clayton, Russian , Bob all would be proud i remembered my lessons..you were listening also..thanks for bringing us along on your adventure in words and photos..very nice of the fellow hunters to help make the job easier..lol the fun is over once you pull the trigger..hope my trip emulates yours..
Well done.
Cheers
Steven

kevan
09-19-2016, 01:49 AM
Excellent thread and pictures, Thanks for sharing with us.
Can you tell us what you were using for rifle and loads ?

Rhyno
09-19-2016, 05:24 AM
Awesome! Congrats on the bull, thanks for posting.

tomahawk
09-19-2016, 06:38 AM
that's awesome, great story and a nice young bull that's going to be enjoyed over and over

two-feet
09-19-2016, 06:47 AM
Nice moose! Nice work on your first

09-19-2016, 06:47 AM
Nice looking bull you have there. Also great to hear the story of completing your leh success. What is bonus here is to hear the way other resident hunters came to your aid and likely have made a connection with you. This site, HBC also was a huge aid to you from the folks you list. Hunters helping hunters. great to hear.

CT

bc_buckshot
09-19-2016, 07:25 AM
Good job Andrew and also Steve for once again helping people.

Brambles
09-19-2016, 07:42 AM
Nice work getting it done early, I'm working on the same right now but gotta use a stick and string till Oct 15th.

Timbow
09-19-2016, 07:43 AM
Nice looking bull. Congratulations

kilometers
09-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Mmmmmm moose steaks !

Arctic Lake
09-19-2016, 07:57 AM
Good story and Photos ! Great that you had some good information from HBC members to help you out and the other hunters who helped you out !
Enjoy the moose meat !

Arctic Lake

Sharpish
09-19-2016, 09:20 AM
I love the way a quartered moose looks hanging from a pole! That's a year of prime steaks, nice work. The younger ones taste great.

Gone_Fishin_
09-19-2016, 09:21 AM
Awesome moose bud, when I got your text that morning it made me want to load the truck and head up right away! We are leaving this Friday morning for the spots I shared with you. I was glad to be able to help out with the area, the info we both learned from Steven AKA Srupp was very helpful and you were able to put the pcs together.

Happy it all worked out for you and thanks again for sharing your story. Hopefully I can get er done this coming week. Will keep you posted Andrew. Cheers

ElliotMoose
09-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Beauty! That will be some fine table fare. Great example of what HBC is all about, hunters helping hunters. Congrats on your first moose! They are my favourite critterto hunt

Whonnock Boy
09-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Nice work all around.

andrewscag
09-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Thanks guys! Still buzzing about it. The loins were excellent and the tongue too.

I used a 168 grain Barnes TSX out of a 30-06

09-19-2016, 10:32 AM
The tongue, hear, and liver ........ Off a bull like that ....... Yummy !

andrewscag
09-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Gone_Fishin - that bull I told you about by Nyland is down now. I don't think you had plans to go there but if you did, don't lol

kennyj
09-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Beautiful bull!! Great story. Thanks for sharing your adventure.
kenny

Gone_Fishin_
09-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Gone_Fishin - that bull I told you about by Nyland is down now. I don't think you had plans to go there but if you did, don't lol

darn... we were actually keeping that in the back pocket in case needed. Looks like were going to just work hard around the areas I sent you. Especially that big meadow spot. Lots of fresh sign so will spend a few days in there.

Hope I can connect. Will keep you updated as the week goes up there.

Thanks again,

srupp
09-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Hmm saw the Nyland lake bull..in the back of a pickup truck at my place..think the guys have gone from excited..happy to bragging rights..he did indeed go 50 inches..pretty fine for around here..but there still is another bull..35...40 inches where the big guy was..
Good luck.
Steven

Rotorwash
09-19-2016, 02:56 PM
congrats! I'm kinda jealous. I got a 5-15 draw and haven't seen anything yet. This gives me hope that theres some out there lol

srupp
09-19-2016, 03:09 PM
congrats! I'm kinda jealous. I got a 5-15 draw and haven't seen anything yet. This gives me hope that theres some out there lol

Hmm Pm sent.
Cheers
Srupp