PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Poll.

WoodOx
06-24-2007, 11:20 PM
What, in your opinion, is the most difficult aspect of a sheep hunt?

270WIN
06-25-2007, 12:22 AM
well new to the sheep thing i would have to say going in blind and finding and area with sheep. but i am sure there will be few more thing i may find tuffer

bigwhiteys
06-25-2007, 06:39 AM
You forgot an "All Of The Above" choice... There is nothing easy about it unless your hunting Dalls out of a helicopter in the NWT.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
06-25-2007, 06:42 AM
I think the first choice should be separated into two choices. You can have one without the other. Lots of people of the physical toughness but lack the mental toughness. It can happen the other way but is more unusual.
IMO, mental toughness is the key. Some are born with it, some can gain it from experience and some will just never have it.

SSS

06-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Only been on one myself, so my experience is limited, but the most difficult part l found was finding a partner willing to follow through with the hunt.......lots of interest in the planning stages, but when it came time, participants where scarce and sudden circumstances were many......

ruttinbuck
06-25-2007, 06:52 AM
I think the first choice should be separated into two choices. You can have one without the other. Lots of people of the physical toughness but lack the mental toughness. It can happen the other way but is more unusual.
IMO, mental toughness is the key. Some are born with it, some can gain it from experience and some will just never have it.

SSS
X2
.....RB

bigwhiteys
06-25-2007, 07:08 AM
There are lots of guys that can be mentally tough but are dumber then a mule... That's not going to be much help out there. Unless you've been to an area before or know the country really well, finding an area with sheep is what I would think would be one of the most difficult if you are new to the game.

Carl

7 mag
06-25-2007, 07:36 AM
I agree with bigwhiteys, You can be in the best shape of your life & run around the mtn's with a 60lb pack on all day, But if you have'nt got the sheep smarts or the mental toughness to outlast the game, country & elements you could be beat befor you start.

Mik
06-25-2007, 07:44 AM
IMO Getting to know an area is the toughest. Then glassing & spotting them is the next stage and this, from my conversations with other hunters, is where a lot of hunters lack the patience to STOP to GLASS LONG ENOUGH.....

Stone Sheep Steve
06-25-2007, 09:12 AM
There are lots of guys that can be mentally tough but are dumber then a mule... That's not going to be much help out there. Carl

I agree. Being "dumber than a mule" isn't going to help you much in life, let alone in the sheep mtns but you don't have to be the sheep guru. A little common sense can go long way.
Having enough common sense to listen to someone who knows their stuff can definitley help.

Don't forget having good gear is essential for a successful sheep hunter.

Scenario......You have two people with the same amount of mental toughness.....one is wet and cold because he has crappy gear(rain gear, tent and sleeping bag) and the other is dry and warm. Which one will breakdown and give up first??
Nothing will break you down mentally faster than being wet, cold and tired. Binderdunnit:redface:.
Learn from your mistakes and the mistakes of others.

SSS

srupp
06-25-2007, 09:21 AM
exellent advice Bwanna...

Steven

bigwhiteys
06-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Scenario......You have two people with the same amount of mental toughness.....one is wet and cold because he has crappy gear(rain gear, tent and sleeping bag) and the other is dry and warm. Which one will breakdown and give up first??

Very good point! And no you definitely don't have to a be sheep guru... If you can get started in area where there is sheep even a bumbling idiot could potentially stumble into a ram.

Carl

BCrams
06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
To varying degrees.....all of the above.

Mental toughness is the number one criteria. There are so many factors and elements working against you . New sheep hunters can say they're all that because they can haul an 75 lb pack all day and hunt mulies in -10 November weather. Believe me, they're singing a different tune within the first day or two when they realize what they re up against. Throw in the bad weather, snow, rain, winds, socked in weather, big mountains and the fact they may not have seen anything within the first few hours and they're ready to pack it in.

What I find funny is these same guys will come out and blame the unsuccessful hunt on lack of sheep, no sheep in the area, socked in the whole time (this happens occassionally - BUT rain and cold and wind etc in rolling cloud or semi socked in does not count as "socked out" as you can still hunt but the fact is most guy still hole up in their tents waiting for the rain to stop)

Glassing and spotting is tough and if you can t spot sheep, you ll think its dead country when in fact its not. Those who claim no sheep in the area is mostly because they cannot glass to spot them effectively. I ve been with guys like that and even after putting the spotter on rams bedded in the distance, will question me whether they were even sheep!!

Stalking isn t the same as other areas. The can wind plays a big role. Throw in the thermals that change constantly. You can be hrs stalking a ram in cold sinking thermals mid day due to rain hail snow and all of a sudden the sun breaks through changing the thermals to an uprolling draft.

Killing sheep is easy. Put one in the vitals and they go down easy.

Aging sheep. To those new to sheep hunting. Stick with learning to I'd full curl rams.

Fisher-Dude
06-25-2007, 11:50 AM
If you can get started in area where there is sheep even a bumbling idiot could potentially stumble into a ram.

Carl

Thanks Carl, you've given me renewed hope on killing a ram! :D

BCbillies
06-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Finding a partner with the same passion and physical/mental toughness to do what it takes to bring home a ram. Once you have found such a partner treat him/her well because they are rare! You could go solo but this usually means more weight, one less set of eyes glassing, and a more uptight spouse holding the fort with a handfull of little ones!

sillybear
06-25-2007, 01:22 PM
I think you have be lucky to find a partner who is "DUMB" enough to go sheep hunting. Dumb enough to spend the time and money it takes to do a sheep trip and get physically and mentaly prepared. Then want to do it next year, and the next....... until you get lucky or to old to get up the hill.The old saying "the year you start sheep hunting is the year your ram is born" was true for me.
sillybear

bigwhiteys
06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
I think you have be lucky to find a partner who is "DUMB" enough to go sheep hunting.

I think Stubborn would be a better word.

Carl

Jelvis
06-25-2007, 02:09 PM
An article I read, says dedicated Stone sheep hunters will admit theres always more to learn about their obsession. This seasons cruasade is partly about rifles, gear and planning; partly about how modern game management uses access, season and horn curl controls --- and definetly about being in mountain shape ( body and mind). We also know it's mostly about learning to wait for next season. Every Stone ram hunt ends too soon, and it's always too long til the next one --- from base camp to mountain tundra. Stay calm and methodical double check pack list, bend and shoulder pack and off thru the pines --- look to the bluffs. Good luck hunters for your best stalk ever. Thanks for the inspiration

kootenayelkslayer
06-25-2007, 03:55 PM
The outfitter that I have worked for, there was so much pressure to shoot big sheep, but even more so, to shoot old rams. The physical and mental challenge is pretty significant, but add the pressure of trying to only shoot rams that are over 10 years old adds a whole new challenge.
That's what I think is the toughest part of sheep hunting: shopping around for the right ram.

frenchbar
06-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Dealing with the wet ,cold, socked in weather would be my choice. if your physicaly and mentaly fit the rest just take some time and patience.

hunter1947
06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm not a sheep hunter but i voted the physical and toughness of the hunt.

Rubicon500
06-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Im not very smart but I can lift heavy things and Hike all day :mrgreen:
A person can be dumb as a mule and still have sheep smarts, you only got to be smarter than the sheep. Its more common sense than smarts, knowing how to do algerbra or speak with big words will do you know damm good on a sheep hunt!!

butcher
06-25-2007, 05:34 PM
None of the above. Sheep hunting is easy, being a sheep hunter and staying married is hard.

bruin
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
The toughest part for me is the off season. Dreaming about sheep hunting takes up alot of time.

#2 would be shopping for the right ram.

hunter1947
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
None of the above. Sheep hunting is easy, being a sheep hunter and staying married is hard. You are so right there ,i am on my third one now ,but running out of time for the next one ,LOL :mrgreen:.

wildman 22
06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I think you need the heart and desire for the hunt. Everybody that goes on a sheep hunt has read articles or has heard stories of the challenges of the hunt.For the most part you don't have to run up mountains to get the sheep at least from my experiences.Weather, unless a blizzard or thick fog shouldnt be a deterant from hunting let alone when rams are spotted.As far as hunting partners go, I have hunted with self claimed "awesome shape" people that getting firewood was to much of a workout and an out of shape brother with heart that can walk circles around these people .I also prefer hunting and stalking sheep by myself , that way success or failure can only be pinned on yourself.

boxhitch
06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
You guys are getting way too fillysoficallated. Too ethereal. Its hunting. Rams can be glassed from the highway with 8X kmart glasses, stalked in Tevas, shot with .243s and Silvertips, hiding from the snowstorm in a garbage bag.
I've seen elk/mulie/goat hunts that are harder than sheep. Summiting a 3000M. peak can be tougher than a sheep hunt.

IMHO the hardest part of sheep hunting, these day of the internet, is wading through all of the pitfalls purveyed by knowledgable ? folk, trying to help out. There are lots of ways to go about it, but the key is to go about it. And if your not successful this attempt, well its not as bad as dropping a bottle of good whisky on the concrete.

boxhitch
06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I think you need the heart and desire for the hunt. .
I wouldn't have had to think so much and type so long, if I had read this first.

boxhitch
06-25-2007, 07:19 PM
trying to only shoot rams that are over 10 years old adds a whole new challenge.
Thats actually not too hard, in the NWT, is it ??

jjensen20
06-25-2007, 07:44 PM
IMHO the hardest part of sheep hunting, these day of the internet, is wading through all of the pitfalls purveyed by knowledgable ? folk, trying to help out. There are lots of ways to go about it, but the key is to go about it. And if your not successful this attempt, well its not as bad as dropping a bottle of good whisky on the concrete.

I totally agree with Boxhitch on this one get off the computer and on to the mountain advice is good but can be discouraging if you want a sheep then go find out for yourself which is the hardest aspect of the hunt

Jelvis
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I see where sheep hunting should be examined before trying for the first time. According to some experienced sheep hunters. Sheep country is both high and rugged, and sheep hunters need to be in top physical shape to handle it. Good binoculars of at least nine power to scout for sheep. and at least 25 power spotting scope is a must for evaluating distant trophies. according to real sheep hunters that have pursued the trophy animals. It can cost a bit too. Sharing information with experienced hunters is recomended. W. K. Merrill

kootenayelkslayer
06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Thats actually not too hard, in the NWT, is it ??

Well, it certainly isn't easy. Most clients are looking for a certain kind of ram, so there is quite a bit of pressure there. And the outfitter puts even more pressure on the guides to shoot old rams. It's pretty tough at times.

bruin
06-25-2007, 10:55 PM
You guys are getting way too fillysoficallated. Too ethereal. Its hunting. Rams can be glassed from the highway with 8X kmart glasses, stalked in Tevas, shot with .243s and Silvertips, hiding from the snowstorm in a garbage bag.
I've seen elk/mulie/goat hunts that are harder than sheep. Summiting a 3000M. peak can be tougher than a sheep hunt.

Where are you hunting sheep? And what is wrong with trying to learn from other's experience???

hunter1947
06-26-2007, 04:01 AM
I have to reconsider on what i said on my post , guys and women i would say all of the above is what you need in order to go on a sheep hunt.:wink:.

boxhitch
06-26-2007, 06:59 AM
And what is wrong with trying to learn from other's experience???
Nothing at all. Some good research can save some headaches. But if someone figures they can't hunt unless they have Xbrand binos and xbrand spotter and xbrand tent and xbrand boots, They may be sunk before they leave home.
The same goes for the topic of this poll. Once someone has spent some time in the outdoors, in varying conditions, they know for themselves what their own comfort level is. Experience tells what each individuals tolerance level is. Nobody else can assume to judge that.
There is lots of talk about sheep hunting, and most hold it up as the Holy Grail. Thats OK but to each their own. There are lots more wilderness experiences that rank up just as high. Let trial and error be the guide as to what you enjoy. And what you can stomach. You don't have to kill something to have a successful hunt. Thats Hunting !!!!!!!
Like the advert says 'Just do it' even if it is in Nikes.
My .02

boxhitch
06-26-2007, 08:05 AM
I had no axe and no tarpaulin, but I did have a hunting knife, and I was carrying a packsack that contained one light blanket and a book, a teapail and some raisins, bannock and cheese. I got a fire going and then, with the hunting knife, I soon made a bed and shelter of spruce boughs. The empty packsack I made into a small reflector at my back. To assemble a stack of heavy firewood I climbed up onto dead leaning muskeg spruce and swung on them till they collapsed, crashing into the snow. Then I dragged the dead trees up to the fire. Very soon I had the place snug; the tea was made and I was stretched out on the spruce mat, warm and comfortable, reading by the firelight and downing a frugal supper. I was content: I had triumphed over my hostile surroundings; and the distant howling of coyotes---which, in my innocence, I thought were wolves---proclaimed that the Bank of England and the grey desert of stone, though less than a year away in time, were already things of another world.
These life experiences gave him some of the necessary skills to make the Nahanni trips and seemed to hone his wanderlust for wild places.

one-shot-wonder
06-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Like the advert says 'Just do it' even if it is in Nikes.

My sheep hunting partner used to hunt in nothing but running shoes when he was younger, always in August though. I can't see him running the Nikes now when we hunt in late September and October.

bigwhiteys
06-26-2007, 08:19 AM
had no axe and no tarpaulin, but I did have a hunting knife, and I was carrying a packsack that contained one light blanket and a book, a teapail and some raisins, bannock and cheese. I got a fire going and then, with the hunting knife, I soon made a bed and shelter of spruce boughs. The empty packsack I made into a small reflector at my back. To assemble a stack of heavy firewood I climbed up onto dead leaning muskeg spruce and swung on them till they collapsed, crashing into the snow. Then I dragged the dead trees up to the fire. Very soon I had the place snug; the tea was made and I was stretched out on the spruce mat, warm and comfortable, reading by the firelight and downing a frugal supper. I was content: I had triumphed over my hostile surroundings; and the distant howling of coyotes---which, in my innocence, I thought were wolves---proclaimed that the Bank of England and the grey desert of stone, though less than a year away in time, were already things of another world.
These life experiences gave him some of the necessary skills to make the Nahanni trips and seemed to hone his wanderlust for wild places.

Cool Excerpt... I went into the Nahanni a few years ago... It's an awesome place.

Carl

Fisher-Dude
06-26-2007, 08:21 AM
My sheep hunting partner used to hunt in nothing but running shoes when he was younger, always in August though. I can't see him running the Nikes now when we hunt in late September and October.

Wasn't he the one who was photographed leaving Saan Store with a pair of velcro runners? And now he hunts exclusively in cowboy boots...

one-shot-wonder
06-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Wasn't he the one who was photographed leaving Saan Store with a pair of velcro runners? And now he hunts exclusively in cowboy boots...

Nope different partner, that one is about as "Haywire" as they come.

Actually they were Velcor Hiker's not runners.

Speaking of Velcro's Boxhitch should like that....it aint about Xbrand boots at all!

I think GG got the velcro idea from SSS, he claimed that once a sheep is velcro'd it will never get away! :mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
06-26-2007, 08:50 AM
I think GG got the velcro idea from SSS, he claimed that once a sheep is velcro'd it will never get away! :mrgreen:

LMAO! I can just see SSS chasing a sheep in his stocking feet, holding his velcro shoes in each hand. :twisted:

The sheep hunting tips are great on this site, keep them comin'! :mrgreen:

Here's GG shopping for his velcros at the Saan Store:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Redneckshopper.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
06-26-2007, 09:14 AM
When my old man used to overnight chasing goats and elk, he took is Trapper Nelson, a piece of clear plastic, four marbles, some strong string and a sandwich. They were a lot tougher back then.

In reality, all we really need is a rifle, ammo, knife, food and some form of shelter. All the rest just makes our stay more comfortable.
We're all "woosies" in this day and age:roll:.

Boxhitch-We really need to change jobs just for one summer/fall:-?.

I'll let you velcro boys have your fun:-|.

SSS

one-shot-wonder
06-26-2007, 09:33 AM
They were a lot tougher back then.
SSS

Tougher back then.....Look at GG, it takes balls to strut around Saan shopping for hunting supplies. You should have seen him at the register, it's like he has ice in his veins as he pays for those hikers with a straight face all calm and collected. I sure as hell couldn't have done it!

horshur
06-26-2007, 03:01 PM
I had no axe and no tarpaulin, but I did have a hunting knife, and I was carrying a packsack that contained one light blanket and a book, a teapail and some raisins, bannock and cheese. I got a fire going and then, with the hunting knife, I soon made a bed and shelter of spruce boughs. The empty packsack I made into a small reflector at my back. To assemble a stack of heavy firewood I climbed up onto dead leaning muskeg spruce and swung on them till they collapsed, crashing into the snow. Then I dragged the dead trees up to the fire. Very soon I had the place snug; the tea was made and I was stretched out on the spruce mat, warm and comfortable, reading by the firelight and downing a frugal supper. I was content: I had triumphed over my hostile surroundings; and the distant howling of coyotes---which, in my innocence, I thought were wolves---proclaimed that the Bank of England and the grey desert of stone, though less than a year away in
time, were already things of another world.

Guy's--his books are worth allot more than the few dollars it takes to buy them and if your poor like me the library has all of them. The more you know the less you need. By posting that Boxhitch is philosopizing himself.LOL

boxhitch
06-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Boxhitch-We really need to change jobs just for one summer/fall:-?.
SSS
If I take a change, it would just be to see whats on the other side. If you mean ex-change, I don't want to be a lifeguard around the sampleing vat, but I could tryout as a tastetester ?

boxhitch
06-26-2007, 05:37 PM
.Look at GG, it takes balls to strut around Saan shopping for hunting supplies. You should have seen him at the register, it's like he has ice in his veins as he pays for those hikers with a straight face all calm and collected. I sure as hell couldn't have done it!
OSW - That would be a tough time for you to remain calm, all right. I'd probably be LMAO, watching him pick out fake shoes. Did he go by Ladies wear, looking for a satin ghillie suit ?

Stone Sheep Steve
06-26-2007, 07:02 PM
I think GG is smiling so much because his new thong he picked up for stream crossings(recommended by OSW) is riding extra high:shock:!

Boxhitch-WCB's new rules make us wear water wings when near open vats. One can never be too careful....................:-?

SSS

Fisher-Dude
06-26-2007, 10:07 PM
I think GG is smiling so much because his new thong he picked up for stream crossings(recommended by OSW) is riding extra high:shock:!

SSS

That could explain the mystery rash he was complaining about...I assume that those are velcro too? :eek:

270WIN
06-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Finding a partner with the same passion and physical/mental toughness to do what it takes to bring home a ram. Once you have found such a partner treat him/her well because they are rare! You could go solo but this usually means more weight, one less set of eyes glassing, and a more uptight spouse holding the fort with a handfull of little ones!

i agree findingg a partners tuff. i have a great bunch of guys i hunt with but non of them show the adiction to hunt sheep they say they will go with me but it has to be a combination hunt so they can hunt other things

Sieg-MM
06-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Here's GG shopping for his velcros at the Saan Store:

GG - It was part of the plan all along eh. I bet you caught wind that that SAAN was having a side walk sale. Buy one get one free or 25% off, what deal did you recieve? So what was the price on those bad boys and would you recommend them for sheep hunters. Give us a review :-D

As for the sheep poll, I'll wait to comment until after my first sheep hunting episode in August :) Thanks for the good reading material boys and girls.