PDA

View Full Version : Cover scent vs using wind

Steelpulse
09-18-2016, 04:38 PM
I have always been a just use the wind hunter and happy I have, just read a recent article on cover scents, the writers at outdoor life I believe it was took a handful of the leading cover scent sprays and tested them in various situations against a police dog, the outcome was quite good. Not a single test could beat the dog even remotely close , the dog picked up the scents in seconds on every test and eventually got bored as the tests weren't hard enough like its usual training, and with deer having scent receptors far better than a dog I'd save your money and come from down wind

any opinions on this topic

RackStar
09-18-2016, 05:07 PM
that sh*ts a scam. spend the money youl save yourself by not buying that garbage and put it twards gas to go hunt.

358mag
09-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Like a very old wise salty fisherman told me 90% of salmon lures are designed to catch the fisherman not the fish ....marketing 101 ....
same holds true with so called cover scent ....IMHO ...

Slinky Pickle
09-18-2016, 05:28 PM
I use scent eliminator and a cover scent, specifically on the soles of my shoes.... and then I always work the wind. The deer can absolutely smell right through anything we do but I find the cover scent is just enough to confuse them rather than have them bolt off when they wind me. I even had a buck walk up to my tree stand one time, sniffing each one of the foot prints I had made on my way in. He probably caught my human scent but the cover scent just made him a curious enough to want to know a bit more.

In a nut shell, always use the wind... but when it swirls and screws you over, have a plan B.

Islanderr
09-18-2016, 05:37 PM
I use a cover scent for my boots as well, but carry wind checker and constantly check wind direction

Whonnock Boy
09-18-2016, 05:55 PM
We just went over this topic last week. Save your money, use the wind. You're better off buying urine or scent sticks. The real dumb ones will come in to that.