PDA

View Full Version : With all the various..............

Jagermeister
09-18-2016, 02:18 PM
arguments abounding on here over which is the best locator device I thought that I would put some things to rest.
I have owned a SPOT for several years and this year they could not renew my plan because I didn't update my c/c info. I have a timeline in which I have to renew or they will cancel the device. So you know I am quite overdue. With this in mind, I thought I would check out Inreach before I committed to renewal of SPOT.
Perusing Inreach's webpages, I was looking for specifics on how many rescues were done by Inreach. But no matter where I looked, there is nothing to show where they have conducted a rescue. I was looking for something like this from the SPOT.
https://www.findmespot.ca/en/spotemergency/images/SPOT_Saves_Rescue_Map_lg.jpg
Inreach has plenty of endorsements from some high profile celebrities, who probably get free Inreach products for the service rendered. And so ended the search. I don't need two-way communication, just a device to show my coordinates. I don't need, "Goodnight John-boy,Goodnight Erin, Goodnight Jim-bob, Goodnight Mary Ellen, .......". I just need something to get my ass out of trouble should that event happen. Hit the button, send the troops.

300rum700
09-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Well then.. I guess I'll sell my inreach and reactivate my spot. No thanks.

RustyBrit
09-18-2016, 06:41 PM
When I was in Search and Rescue we did lots of rescues for both systems. If you only want a unit that will send the calvary in your direction then why are you even looking at Inreach? It is a GPS map/2-way communicator/locator. Spot is a 1-way communicator/locator.
No need to trash talk Inreach for not making you feel warm and fuzzy while you are shopping. Just have to do the research on the technology and make an educated decision on what you want and/or need for a device.

They both work.

Bear Chaser
09-18-2016, 09:11 PM
Actually the two way comms could come in quite handy to let whoever is coming know what to expect when they get there. For example grizzly attack with multiple massive trauma victims versus one guy with a sprained ankle. In both cases an SOS would be sent in via Spot whereas a sprained ankle may or may not be immediately life threatening depending on the location and weather.

604redneck
09-18-2016, 09:31 PM
I got rid of my spot when they raised rates. I'll buy a sat phone or I reach next.

Gateholio
09-18-2016, 09:36 PM
arguments abounding on here over which is the best locator device I thought that I would put some things to rest.
I have owned a SPOT for several years and this year they could not renew my plan because I didn't update my c/c info. I have a timeline in which I have to renew or they will cancel the device. So you know I am quite overdue. With this in mind, I thought I would check out Inreach before I committed to renewal of SPOT.
Perusing Inreach's webpages, I was looking for specifics on how many rescues were done by Inreach. But no matter where I looked, there is nothing to show where they have conducted a rescue. I was looking for something like this from the SPOT.
Inreach has plenty of endorsements from some high profile celebrities, who probably get free Inreach products for the service rendered. And so ended the search. I don't need two-way communication, just a device to show my coordinates. I don't need, "Goodnight John-boy,Goodnight Erin, Goodnight Jim-bob, Goodnight Mary Ellen, .......". I just need something to get my ass out of trouble should that event happen. Hit the button, send the troops.

If that's all you need, SPOT should serve you well.

Lastcar
09-18-2016, 10:00 PM

Turns out it is on their site.

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/why-inreach/inreach-rescues.php

albravo2
09-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Try telling your buddy to bring you a valve stem and some tire levers using a SPOT and let me know how that works out.

Gateholio
09-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Try telling your buddy to bring you a valve stem and some tire levers using a SPOT and let me know how that works out.

Or beer....

Stresd
09-19-2016, 06:08 AM
Or that you need to tell your buddy thats coming up from the coast, that you had to move camp and are now 40 miles away at........... Best move I ever made when I ditched my spot and went with an Inreach SE.

Jrax
09-19-2016, 07:40 AM
inreach has been very useful, I prefer over sat phone and easier to pack. can also provide peace of mind that everything is good at home - check msg... no msg.... wife and kids all good :)

Pemby_mess
09-19-2016, 10:40 AM
yup as has been mentioned, 2 way comm is very helpful in a SAR scenario. If all you have is an SOS and location, the receiver is completely in the dark about what to expect and what resources are required. The more remote, the more necessary. Contrary to myth and popular thinking, SAR personel aren't superheros. They each have a variety and difference within their skill sets. 2 way communication, ensures you get the right people, and equipment the first time out when you need it. Depending on the terrain and nature of emergency, preparing a landing zone for the incoming aircraft could be critical, letting your rescuers know that you have done that and where it is would be useful.

Prior to Inreach, I found that using the Spot wasn't very reliable in getting a signal out. I was under the impression it was because Spot was using the the old Global Star network while Delorne made a bit of a deal about using a wider network, including the Iridium system. I have not heard either way whether Spot has solved that problem although I'm also under the impression Global Star has revived its system. My Inreach has worked without flaw from day 1.

tipper
09-19-2016, 11:21 AM
in reach all the way. bring ice and more beer!

AgSilver
09-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Used my InReach SE several times this weekend. It was most useful when I decided to go "off schedule" and stop on the way to Kelowna for longer than intended and then stop on the way home when it wasn't planned. Let's people rest easy knowing that I'm not lost in the bush but rather am looking out over a cut until dark.

Have found, though, that signals getting through in tree cover is not amazing. Was testing it out a few weeks ago in overcast weather while hiking around Buntzen and really found that the signals weren't getting through very easily. Pretty slow transmission. Not sure if it was made slower by me being on the move and in and out of visible sky, etc, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping for. Better than nothing, though.

Pemby_mess
09-19-2016, 05:13 PM
Speaking of SAR, just saw the RCAF Cormorant fly over my place in Lillooet. Everybody OK out there?