PDA

View Full Version : Squamish / Indian River Rd

bucket
09-17-2016, 09:38 AM
Hey guys,

Looking to explore from squamish over to indian arm. I know there is about a 10 mile stretch up the Manquam you can't shoot on, but not sure how this works on the Indian River Rd.

I have seen lots of posts pointing to bylaws referring to this area, but they are all file-not-found now. Going on the squamsih site, I can find 2 maps. One in the area near Birken, and one near furry creek - but nothing covering where Indian River Road goes.

Anyone know much about this ? Never been down the road. Its my backyard so want to explore it. With a gun. And look for a deer !

albravo2
09-17-2016, 10:06 AM
There are a couple illegal 'no shooting' signs up the Mamquam FSR but Indian River you should be good to go. I haven't been over there this year but I hear the road is in really good shape.

IIRC, one of the guys from North Arm Knives (sponsor above) shot a buck up there a couple years ago.

Go for it.

RB2
09-17-2016, 12:11 PM
Go to the Squamish website. You can get the District boundaries map there. Print it, take it with you. You can not shoot within Municipal boundaries. You can legally shoot just after crossing over the Stawamus river, if you go up the Indian arm route. The road is in great shape, can drive a car to the end.

bucket
09-17-2016, 12:33 PM
Wow that is super clear - didn't think it was the district boundary, cool much appreciated. Too bad you can take a car to the end, hoping for a quiet day - maybe the rain will keep people home. Thanks!

Go to the Squamish website. You can get the District boundaries map there. Print it, take it with you. You can not shoot within Municipal boundaries. You can legally shoot just after crossing over the Stawamus river, if you go up the Indian arm route. The road is in great shape, can drive a car to the end.

Xenomorph
09-17-2016, 01:08 PM
Wow that is super clear - didn't think it was the district boundary, cool much appreciated. Too bad you can take a car to the end, hoping for a quiet day - maybe the rain will keep people home. Thanks!

Marked up to km11 I think with no shooting signs. Been a while since I've been there. Good to go past that.

albravo2
09-17-2016, 01:33 PM
To be clear, there are 3 separate jurisdictions that influence where you can shoot around here.
1. The regs stipulate you have to be a certain distance from 99 (think 400 meters butcan't recall and don't have regs beside me)
2. The municipality forbids shooting within city limits
3. There are a few bylaws on the Squamish-Lilloet SLRD books that precluded shooting on the east side of 99 from Ring Creek all the way up to Whistler, all the way out to the end of the pavement on the Squamish Valley Rd, and a couple spots around Gun Lake near Lillooet. The bylaw about Ring Creek is very hard to find but if the RCMP come out to tell you to quit shooting clays they will point it out to you. Ask me how I know;-)

bucket
09-17-2016, 02:37 PM
Haha. Yeah Manquam i am very familiar with, you couldn't get very mistaken with all the signs they put in the past couple years. Just meant the map on the district made it clear about Indian River Rd. Excited too explore, think I am all clear now appreciate it

shortrange
09-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Haha. Yeah Manquam i am very familiar with, you couldn't get very mistaken with all the signs they put in the past couple years. Just meant the map on the district made it clear about Indian River Rd. Excited too explore, think I am all clear now appreciate it

I drove Mamquam Road (I think it was called that) last fall and once I got past the joggers and cyclists it was pretty quiet. There is signage indicating where Squamish municipality ends so easy to stay onside the bylaws. I saw some deer between the construction site for the power plant and the river. I was looking for bears so I left them alone.

RB2
09-17-2016, 04:18 PM
No Problem. It was very clear to me you asked about Indian arm. You Can go to SLRD website and can print out all of the SLRD firearms bylaws with maps. Easy! Print them, take em with you. Whistler also has no shooting within municipal boundaries and you can get their bylaws with maps off of Whistler site. Pemberton, I could not find their bylaws if any are there. Gatehouse would know. If you have all the maps and bylaws you will have no problems unless your in a spot you should not be in, which a lot of uninformed are doing. Please pick up shooting garbage. Cheers, Ron

RB2
09-17-2016, 04:25 PM
One more thing, once you get down close to Indian arm there is some private property. It is Tsleil-Waututh Nation property and it is in the hunting regs

tubby
09-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Can you drive all the way to the ocean? Or is the road still blocked?.

albravo2
09-18-2016, 04:15 PM
^all the way. I hear you could drive a Honda Accord over the road this year.

kite
09-18-2016, 08:53 PM
I've driven the road three times since the snow from last winter melted and you definitely can't drive a fwd car there. You could take an awd car or fwd suv if you were careful.

Carrollizer
09-19-2016, 01:23 AM
I've driven the road three times since the snow from last winter melted and you definitely can't drive a fwd car there. You could take an awd car or fwd suv if you were careful.
Then I take it a somewhat stock 2012 4x4 Tacoma should make it no problem ? Have good tires and a bush bumper./winch No lift though

markathome
09-19-2016, 07:16 AM
We took a stock Rav

Carrollizer
09-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Do they ever lock the gate on the Mamquam side?

hickman
09-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Mamquam FSR signs and no shooting due to traffic and activity related to the IPP at 9Mile. Compliance and Conservation Officers do regular checks up there in known "shooting ranges". Mamquam FSR has lots of traffic anyway due to dirt bikers, quaders, weekend warriors looking to go camping.

Carrollizer
09-20-2016, 01:53 PM
doesnt really answer the question of the gate being locked or not

RB2
09-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Do you mean the Stawamus/ Indian river road? It was locked for years. Been open for a couple of years. Mamquam, I have never seen locked except for an extreme fire hazard one year when they closed all the FSR in the Squamish district. No shooting signs in the Mamquam are not due to traffic but an extension of the municipal boundries to include the Power project.

RB2
09-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Then I take it a somewhat stock 2012 4x4 Tacoma should make it no problem ? Have good tires and a bush bumper./winch No lift though
I drove to the summit today in 2wd. Stock F 350, no lift.

pazz0
09-30-2016, 01:39 PM
Can you drive all the way to the ocean?

I turned around a few hundred yards from the ocean, where that NO TRESSPASSING sign is. I tend to respect those things though, and don't want to step on anyone's toes especially when I'm alone and it's a long way back to civilization. Besides I've heard too many stories first hand about conflicts with locals. I generally pass on potential hostile situations when I'm alone ;)

On that note, are there any permanent residents up there (or is it down there)?

RB2
09-30-2016, 10:49 PM
I know of no permanent residents, but not 100% sure. I hear ya on the trespassing, but have heard of no issues. One can always look up the phone # and ask permission. I have gone to the end every time I've been up there as it is habit. Not sure of the up or down LOL. It's always been up to me , but could easily be down.

pazz0
10-01-2016, 04:21 PM
I'll visit the end next time I head down as I've always wanted to say I've driven right to the water ;)
Does the road lead to Granite Falls, as per the Backroad Mapbooks description?

RB2
10-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Cannot drive to Granite falls, but you might be able to hike.