PDA

View Full Version : elk help please

wos
09-17-2016, 08:08 AM
So l went for a little walk with my gun this morning and I ran into a good elk. Couldn't seal the deal. What do I do next he was with cows. do I go back and cow call bugle? Help please!

wos
09-17-2016, 08:10 AM
I have never shot one before so elk is all new to me

Blainer
09-17-2016, 08:39 AM
Get back out there
Hoochie mama is your friend
and Good luck

boxhitch
09-17-2016, 08:41 AM
What was their reaction ? where are they now ?
Maybe pattern them and set in ambush

wos
09-17-2016, 08:47 AM
The bull stood and stared at me and I counted to 6 and he backed out and didn't give me a shot and followed the cows up the hill. I quietly left so not to spook them. I will be back but do I let them cool off or go back in now with a call do I call from a couple hundred yards from where I saw them?

findlyflats
09-17-2016, 08:54 AM
I would sneak back in, if you see him and he runs, stop him with a caw call.

Whonnock Boy
09-17-2016, 09:00 AM
It's likely you did spook them if he stood and stared at you. When pushed/spooked, they can put on a lot of distance in short order. With that said, I think in order to give you the best advice possible, we need the exact location, so we can study terrain on google earth, and ascertain the likelihood of their current whereabouts, with best case scenarios for locating, intercepting, and engaging for harvest. ;)

todbartell
09-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Get set up and start your calling sequence with several loud, high-pitched Mews, followed by just a couple lower-pitched, and softer, Mews. Continue this pattern in order to sound like one or more loud-mouthed calves out in front of a couple of mature cows. Be heavy on the calf sounds (which is realistic this time of year), and throw the cow sounds in as though you’re simply a cow or two trying to keep a couple of calves in contact with the adults.
This doesn't speak directly TO the bull you’re calling to, but it gives them the impression that cows and calves are nearby; if they're interested in investigating new elk, they might come over to check you out. By emphasizing the “calf” vocalizations you can hopefully present a less threatening scenario to the cows if they’re already locked down with the bull, and might even appeal to their maternal instincts. Hopefully, not only will this keep them from taking the bull away from your calling, it might get them moving your way, bringing their bull along with them.

DO NOT MIX BULL AND COW VOCALIZATIONS
In this situation, adding bull vocalizations might not be advisable.
Because you're working a bull that is vocalizing in a manner that suggests he's interested in other elk, let your cow vocalizations stand on their own for the time being. Given that it's mid- to late season, most bulls should be looking for cows. Similarly, it's quite likely that most bulls have gone through one or more interactions with other bulls, and might prefer dealing with lone cows, rather than cows that are with a bull already.
Let the bull think that the cows he hears are alone and easy pickings.
If he doesn't come in, bump up to a more aggressive Cow Vocalization Strategy, or jump over to a Bull Vocalization Strategy

huntinnewbie
09-17-2016, 09:21 AM
sent you a PM

Bugle M In
09-17-2016, 12:51 PM
if he is with cows, bugling from a long distance away can cause problems for you.
as above, cow calls, and see if you get a response.
they may still be in the same area, or, they may have moved...up to a km or 2 from where you saw them.
A high pitched bugle, may help you, if you can't find them, as a last resort.
but if you get a response, move in, down wind, and cow call only.
if you are right in there with the cows, and can't see the bull, than a big old bugle, might get him charging.
but best to use cow calls, and if need be, pick up several different cow calls.
hoochie, primos, bugling bull are some options along with a mouth diaphragm cow call can all be of benefit.
good luck, hope you get him.

wos
09-18-2016, 06:05 PM
Well I had hoped this thread was going to end with photos. Thanks for all the tips and help. Maby next weekend.

Boner
09-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Well, points for trying man. Good on you for giving it a go. I've yet to seal the deal on an elk myself, but it's sure fun trying!

Whonnock Boy
09-18-2016, 07:16 PM
What did you end up doing? Any responses? Any fresh sign? Just curious....

wos
09-19-2016, 06:58 AM
I went back in shortly after and set up in a spot next to an area with a bunch od wind fall. I thought they may head into it and bed down. I Cow called and called some more. I hunted a deep gully the next morning that is near by hopping they holed up in it. But no luck with that either. I did see some fresh tracks salt and pepper d throughout The area but not heavy trails that say come back hear and your going to see something. It's also hard to say if I was under calling over calling or what because my elk
Experience is minimal. I just started seeing them semi regularly the last 3 years and this was by far the best chance I have had on a legal bull.

two-feet
09-19-2016, 07:10 AM
You will have more failures than success when starting out, enjoy the experiences for what they are and pile up the experience, learn from the mistakes. And if you keep at it, eventually your prey will make a mistake.

FsjElkHunter
09-24-2016, 09:48 PM
I once had a big herd bull going frantic from challenge bugling. He was raking, bugling he even charged me but I still had no shot. It got dark so I backed out and went home. The next morning I went in and instead of going timid and scared and staying at the fringes cow calling I slipped in and took a couple hours slowly stalking to wear he was. I then let loose a challenge bugle and man he was right back at it. Sometimes it isn't all about the cow call. It will all depend on the elk himself and if he has cows and how big his herd is. If you challenge a good herd bull with lots of cows he will want to defend his herd. and when they come in hot they are more oblivious then when they come to a cow call. But a small bull with a small herd or a bull with no herd would come in better to a cow call. It depends on the elk situation. I love Corey Jacobsen videos he tells it best(9 time world elk calling champ). Watch his videos.