PDA

View Full Version : RED Fern

rec
09-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Thinking of doing a solo trip in Red Fern anybody know what shape the trails in is it very wet this year? any info would be appreciated if you don't want to share with every body Pm me thanks REC

tomahawk
09-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Have you been in there before?

albravo2
09-16-2016, 08:56 PM
I was there at the end of August, just as the monsoons started.

Not for the faint of heart but nice country.

Best advice: take chains.

Bugle M In
09-16-2016, 10:39 PM
If it is raining like they say it will....it will be ugly for sure.

Ltbullken
09-17-2016, 07:27 AM
I'm not sure I'd recommend that as a solo trip. It's a long way in. There's bound to be others on the trail but you need to think that if you get into trouble, who will or how you'll extract yourself. It is a difficult trail as is, even with 2 people we were pulling each other out of the bogs. On your own? It is wet in there this year for sure. On your own, it can be very challenging if not a bit dangerous. If you're not certain of the trail around Nevis Creek, you could try to cross at the wrong point and get swamped. Not trying to be a kill-joy but if it were me, I'd think twice about going in solo in there. With horse, could be doable. Quad, not for me.

rec
09-17-2016, 08:16 AM
I was in 7-8 yrs ago

clutch
09-17-2016, 08:47 AM
Tried to go in this year September first and there was more rain that we'd seen in a thousand years, the little creek just past the trailhead floated the quads a tiny bit. Had two quads with trailers and probably could've made it with just two quads but I would be very leary of the n creek crossings.