PDA

View Full Version : Elk Attractants...do you use it/does it work?:

tenrag
09-15-2016, 10:17 AM
I have never used cow (elk) urine or those smoking sticks when scouting for elk or hanging my trail cameras. Just wondering if anyone can provide feedback if they have experience using them.
I once saw a line of trees with cotton balls hanging like it was x-mas and since I was in the middle of nowhere I assumed at one point they had some form of attractant on them.

Thoughts?

Mikey Rafiki
09-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Having bulls come in to under 10 yards and having to waive your hands to keep them from coming closer makes me confident they work.

Bugle M In
09-15-2016, 11:54 AM
My buddy bought some a few years back.
Bought it at WSS, it was in a bottle that you mixed with water and put into a spray bottle.
Can't remember the brand name.
Anyways, didn't have any success with Elk, but that may have been because there were no elk in the vicinity.
But, I used it 1 day along the river....
It confused the hell out of a cow moose and her calf, as she was being persuade by a bull right on her tail.
She saw me ( not more than 10 yards away ), but continuously wanted to cross to me anyways....
Reason I think was the scent I had sprayed on toilet paper hanging in a row along the trees.....
The scent confused her...and I think she thought I was an elk...or another cow moose??
Went on for 5 minutes.....weirdest thing I have ever seen in all my years hunting.
But....I hate those burning sticks....others like them....but I don't....doesn't smell right to me.

rocksteady
09-15-2016, 01:36 PM
I have used it in the past as a cover scent. Even if the elk takes a second whiff and gives you that extra 10 seconds, that may be all you need to count the6th point...

it does does smell bad though. Usually I saturate the plastic wafers and pin them to the top of my hat... Ps... Hat no longer allowed in house

Bugle M In
09-15-2016, 03:35 PM
I have used it in the past as a cover scent. Even if the elk takes a second whiff and gives you that extra 10 seconds, that may be all you need to count the6th point...

it does does smell bad though. Usually I saturate the plastic wafers and pin them to the top of my hat... Ps... Hat no longer allowed in house

my dad did that....he wasn't even allowed back in the camper!

Jrax
09-18-2016, 12:05 PM
used the cow elk urine wafers by tying them to a strap on my backpack but then I worried too much about grizzlies sneaking up on me as I crossed grizzly tracks several times that week.

lightmag
09-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Big believer !!! Minute I'm onto an elk I spray up !! Elk use vision first , if they can't see you they circle for scent ... and all elk my brother and I have shot are close .. and staring ... making us wait to count tines ..turn head etc ... every second counts .. scent up.... and go get em

Wrayzer
09-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Cow elk wafers for sure. Elk urine spray under the boots. Works for a good cover scent.