PDA

View Full Version : Hunting alpine /sub alpine in the rain next weekend.

luger
09-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Hey I'm going on my first over night hike in trip this weekend we will be hunting region 2 at aprox 1800mm elevation. We are hiking in on Friday night with head lamps. Looks like it's gonna pour rain all weekend. I've grew up hearing that deer bed down in rain. Just wondering if anyone would like to give me some advice before I head up so I can be most productive this hunt.
Thanks!

twoSevenO
09-14-2016, 11:34 PM
Best advice is skip a rainy weekend high up in reg 2 ... in my opinion. It might seem fun and easy in theory but realistically youre most likely to be wet and miserable and not see shit when the fog and mist of region 2 roll in.

And most deer (blacktails) in reg 2 dont really bed down in the rain but are quite active in it.

scotty30-06
09-15-2016, 01:45 AM
Nasty weather....go hunting....in region 2 anyways.....im heading out on a solo hunt this weekend up in Chilliwack

Weatherby Fan
09-15-2016, 02:17 AM
Go east and hunt the alpine where you don't have to hunt in that shit !
Hunting in the rain is for bird hunters ;-)
I have shot a few Blacktail deer in the rain, if they didn't move in the rain in BC they would starve to desth !

theoutdoorsman
09-15-2016, 06:17 AM
I advise you to go more than 6ft above sea level to find the alpine

markathome
09-15-2016, 06:55 AM
I advise you to go more than 6ft above sea level to find the alpine

Maybe he's hunting Pam Rocks? That's about six feet and rocky...

brian
09-15-2016, 07:26 AM
In my experience it depends on how hard it is raining. If its raining hard then look for them in areas with more rain cover that doesn't collect water. If its drizzling then they may not change their routine too much but you'll be a heck of a lot quieter and able to sneak up on them. If its windy and raining then they'll be more freaked out as all their prime senses are compromised. Then they're more likely to be acting more erratically, either standing out in the open or in deep sheltered areas trying to get out of the wind and rain. Add fog in and it becomes a short yard game. And then assuming you are hunting blacktails then you have to consider they are blacktails and not likely to do anything you think they'll do. If you are hunting mulies then I don't know.

steel_ram
09-15-2016, 07:27 AM
As already stated visibility in the alpine can be zero on cloudy or foggy days. I done it a few times and have basically tripped over deer and bears that were there, so I believe they are still there. Not very productive hunting though. Like myself, you can't pick your days or weather so you have to make the best of what is thrown at you.

caddisguy
09-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Rain, wind, fog, means it's time to drop everything and go hunting in Region 2. Visibility can be an issue if you were hoping to do a lot of glassing. That said, you might still have visibility and worse case scenario you can creep around and still-hunt. Snotty weather is the best time to catch blacktails on the move and out in the open.

scotty30-06
09-15-2016, 08:35 PM
That's exactly what I want to see this weekend....man I'm getting stoked to head up Saturday morning...lugar you guys must be getting pumped up for tomorrow night

luger
09-15-2016, 11:07 PM
Ya! I'm deciding whether to go up Friday night in the dark in the rain or head up early Saturday. Saturday seems like a better idea. I get up there later but I don't put my scent up there the night before. Also I can hunt as I hike in to my spot to camp.

twoSevenO
09-15-2016, 11:57 PM
Ya! I'm deciding whether to go up Friday night in the dark in the rain or head up early Saturday. Saturday seems like a better idea. I get up there later but I don't put my scent up there the night before. Also I can hunt as I hike in to my spot to camp.

Unless you know exactly where you're going don't go at night.

scotty30-06
09-16-2016, 12:56 AM
Yea I will second that....could be a recipe for disaster....im going up early Saturday morning....hiking in and setting up camp in rain in the dark after a long hike into alpine just isn't a good idea....may seem good on paper....but I have been there and done that....it sucks...wait till morning....you won't regret it

twoSevenO
09-16-2016, 01:18 AM
^ that .... sounds good on paper. Then you do it and realize the terrain is way harder than you thought. Wet trees and branches just pouring water off the leaves on you, cold, slippery, cant see where you're stepping properly .... just miserable. And then when you get there, and it gets light out, you realize the terrain sucks and it wasn't worth it to begin with.

If you know where you're going, sure, go hike at night. If you've never been there, wait for daylight.

scotty30-06
09-16-2016, 01:44 AM
Yea hahahahah ya never forget that first time....sucks so bad makes you never make that mistake twice....brutal hike....next day came and looked around...what a shitty hunting spot lol

luger
09-16-2016, 06:40 AM
I've been there before but I'll probably still just go in the morning.

scotty30-06
09-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Just wanna say good luck and be safe this weekend lugar and everyone else going out.....hopefully we both come out with something from region 2

nature girl
09-16-2016, 07:16 PM
Luger I used to hunt blacktails up high in September in region 2. We would see deer in the rain. The cloudier the weather the more deer we saw. Just wear good raingear. Walk in the forest if you can. Sit and glass. And don't give up.
The area we hunted was by deactivated atv access real crappy to get to this spot. That is why we really saw no other hunters.
Usually the fog would roll in and then leave and then we would usually start seeing the deer again about 11 am laying in the slash.
We shot the deer in sept usually on a light drizzling day or a cloudy day. Never is a down pour that I recall.

luger
09-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Looks like where I'm going is gonna get about 40-50km of rain tomorrow so I decided to put my camper on my truck and I will leave tomorrow morning and just day hike where I want to go. It's nice to come back to a camper with a furnace.

scotty30-06
09-16-2016, 07:35 PM
Hahaha nice....im gonna be sleeping in the truck...no furnace....where abouts in region 2 you heading to

thelazygreenfox
09-16-2016, 08:51 PM
I'll wait till Mon/tuesday when you're working again. retirement is sweet. Hope it snows up high next week...
TLGF

luger
09-16-2016, 10:21 PM
Just past hope up the coke I'm trying out a newish spot. If you see a white 2500 silverado with a camper. That would be me, stop by!

scotty30-06
09-16-2016, 10:28 PM
OK sounds good....i might be up that area.....have a bunch spots in Chilliwack that are good but if I see ya around in between for sure.....hell who knows maybe plan another trip together

luger
09-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Sweet! Good luck!

scotty30-06
09-16-2016, 10:44 PM
You to bro

Katanajay
09-19-2016, 08:10 PM
So, you guys have any luck on the weekend?

Camp Cook
09-19-2016, 08:20 PM
My son and I headed out Sat evening saw 8 blacktail does and fawns.

Tried another spot Sunday morning saw 3 does and 1 little button buck.

I got rained out at work today so headed up late in the crazy heavy downpour not off the main road for 1 klm and there was a doe standing in the heavy downpour like nothing was happening.

I hunt blacktail in all weather conditions but have my best luck just before or after a major storm I usually don;t see as many in the crazy heavy downpour like this morning though.

As to alpine what most people don't realize is the clouds have breaks I just plop myself down in my spot over looking an alpine meadow and wait for a break seen some of the biggest blacktails I have ever seen that way.

Very important the blacktail up the Coquihalla/Fraser Canyon unless its the rut they are ghosts they are in the heavy bush right at daybreak and not moving around again until just before dark.

scotty30-06
09-19-2016, 08:37 PM
I had two does sprint past me due to a dirt bikes but got my cam set up in beauty spot so excited for this weekend coming up....love it when the wife forces me to hunt....poor me hahahah

scotty30-06
09-19-2016, 08:43 PM
BT hunting can be sooo frustrating....but gotta stick to it....the best part of the season is just around the corner

dino
09-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Hey I'm going on my first over night hike in trip this weekend we will be hunting region 2 at aprox 1800mm elevation. We are hiking in on Friday night with head lamps. Looks like it's gonna pour rain all weekend. I've grew up hearing that deer bed down in rain. Just wondering if anyone would like to give me some advice before I head up so I can be most productive this hunt.
Thanks!
Region 2 deer don't hang out in the alpine like muleys. Hunting blacktails in the timber above a cut block in the rain is standard.

luger
09-19-2016, 09:22 PM
No deer but saw two bull moose. Gonna head back up this saturday again probably. Should be better weather.