PDA

View Full Version : New Binos

longwalk
09-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Looking at getting new binoculars. Narrowed it down to the Leupold Cascades and the Zeiss Terra's. Both in 10 by 42. Any one have any experience with either one of these?

RackStar
09-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Side by side my Diamondbacks smoke the Terra's.

Sportster
09-14-2016, 04:25 PM
Scorpion Binoculars smoke the diamondbacks, check them out. For the price there the best value on the market. IMO

donny.brooke
09-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Scorpion and Vortex = Chinese junk. Zeiss all the way. Great glass for the price. Side by side with my Swaros there pretty good I was actually surprised.

Wentrot
09-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Scorpion and Vortex = Chinese junk. Zeiss all the way. Great glass for the price. Side by side with my Swaros there pretty good I was actually surprised.

Which scorpion and vortex products failed you??

Sportster
09-14-2016, 05:57 PM

You forgot to put IMO. Scorpion has a transferable no questions asked warranty, that's how confident they are in the products they sell.

bigredchev
09-14-2016, 06:00 PM

I disagree 100 percent
Truth is go to cabelas and look through email yourself

longwalk
09-14-2016, 06:15 PM
I disagree 100 percent
Truth is go to cabelas and look through email yourself
I did exactly that. I liked the Cascades best of all. Tried Steiners, Zeiss, Diamondbacks and a couple of other. Problem is that in a well lit store they all look pretty good, I need to do a low light test which is not possible. Zeiss should have the best glass and coatings. Nothing against Vortex. I have a Diamondback scope.

transplantednewf
09-14-2016, 06:22 PM
I've had Vortex 8X42 diamondbacks for six years now, No problems whatsoever. Am considering upgrading to 10X50's and wouldn't hestitate to go with Vortex again. No opinion on the scorpion line. All depends on your use though

donny.brooke
09-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Which scorpion and vortex products failed you??

I used to sell them, trust me lots come back. Vortex and Scorpion have a great warranty as do my Swaros but I doubt I will need it but you will with the Vortex or Scorpions.

351BII
09-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Go to the store on a crappy overcast ugly day and get them to let you try them outside.

Pinewood
09-14-2016, 09:10 PM
I've got Cascades in 8x42. I have never had anything to complain about and things looks bigger when I look through them:lol:.

itsy bitsy xj
09-14-2016, 09:44 PM
got a pair Terra HD and luv them more than my swarovski's

monasheemountainman
09-14-2016, 10:00 PM
Scorpion has a great warranty because they buy their products so cheap so they can afford to throw a whack of them out. That's why they don't fix them, they just give you a new set. It would cost them more to fix them(if they could) which they can't because they are disposable. Sorry to tell you that, I'm not knocking them they have a good reputation because ya when they break they will just give you a new set! They do a good job at advertising on wild tv. I'm sure they are worth the money

monasheemountainman
09-14-2016, 10:01 PM

I'll take your swaro's then you don't need them

itsy bitsy xj
09-14-2016, 10:06 PM
I'll take your swaro's then you don't need them

Got a Savage 42 combo gun to trade me? lol

swampdonkey
09-14-2016, 10:08 PM
I have the Zeiss . I'm very happy with them. They have been used pretty good to . I am not the easiest on them either. Ask the guy behind the counter if he will go outside with you and try them at dusk. Most places will

teelt
09-14-2016, 10:15 PM
I had the Terra's and there garbage. I broke two pairs in one season. The first pair both eye cups came off and the diopter ring. Second the whole outta material was peeling off. That's just in 3 months.

longwalk
09-15-2016, 05:28 AM
I had the Terra's and there garbage. I broke two pairs in one season. The first pair both eye cups came off and the diopter ring. Second the whole outta material was peeling off. That's just in 3 months.

Thanks for the feedback. Were you able to get them fixed under warranty?

Zedbra
09-15-2016, 07:45 AM

I read a thread either here or CGN where Zeiss took months to consider replacing a pair of Terras with a broken eye cup. Turned out this wasn't a part they carry on their own and eventually he got Zeiss to replace the Terras with a higher model - but that took something like 8 months. Here is the post: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?119887-Zeiss-Warranty&p=1801829#post1801829

I picked up a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x42 binos off Cabelas for $209 and they have been great thus far, but I will get them out hunting in a few weeks to see how they handle fogging etc.

The Hermit
09-15-2016, 08:01 AM
KOWA!!! Their Genesis models are easily on par with Swaro, Zeiss, and Leica at about 2/3 the price. Better than Nikon, Leupold, Vortex etc.

Ron.C
09-15-2016, 10:00 AM
I've been using a set of leupold cascade 10x42 for several years. I spring and fall hunt van isle, and do backpack hunts for goats in the Kootenays. I don't abuse my gear but it gets used hard and exposed to rough weather and hard hunts. Like all my other Leupold products, they are reliable and have never required warranty work, and they still function great. Nice and clear,never fogged up.

For the price point, I don't think you can do much better.

AgSilver
09-15-2016, 12:45 PM
If you can find 'em, Meoptas are great:

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/39408/cabelas-instinct-euro-hd-binoculars

teelt
09-15-2016, 12:47 PM
Yes they shipped me out new binos instantly. I sent pictures and showed they were in the mail and they shipped them out.

longwalk
09-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Yes they shipped me out new binos instantly. I sent pictures and showed they were in the mail and they shipped them out.

Thank you. Good to know.

one-shot-wonder
09-16-2016, 10:11 PM
I ran a set of cascades for 7 years before I up-scaled to Swaro. I have always said the Cascades are the best bino for the dollar on the market. I bought mine in the states back when the USD was basically par. They are very light and easy to handle, I won't sell them as they make a great pair of back up glass to have on hand.

longwalk
09-29-2016, 07:07 PM
Ended up with the Zeiss Terra's. The low light performance is head and shoulders above my Monarchs.

09-30-2016, 08:52 AM
There is a huge test online by a birdwatching organization and they grade a bunch of binos from cheap to high end glass. Not surprisingly the Swarovski and "proper" Zeiss were the best. But two binoculars were only a hair behind the $3000 top dogs - Leica Trinovid and Zeiss Conquest HD. It was clear, no pun intended, that these two were where the seriously diminished rate of return kicked in. I ended up buying the Zeiss Conquest HD and am happy.

Backwoods
09-30-2016, 10:31 AM
Zeiss terra are great binos, I own a pair and love them, my buddy bought $2200 swor pair and my terra arnt much different, we hunted first light last light on our sheep hunt and compaired them every day different light and he couldn't believe how good the Zeiss were for the $500!! Can't go wrong man

Backwoods
09-30-2016, 10:34 AM
If your looking a glass brand new, when I purchased my Zeiss Terra's I brought 6 pairs of binos out side the hunting store to look through in realistic light source makes a huge difference, highly recommend to try

Backwoods
09-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Crazy, me and my buddy bought new binos before our sheep hunt, he bought $2200 Swarovskis and I picked up Zeiss terra HD for $425 after the $75 rebate Zeiss has on right now, and first light and last light we compaired everyday on a 10 day sheep hunt and honestly we couldn't tell the difference, Zeiss were lighter and fit in my Bino harnest easier, and if they happend to get lost,stolen damaged I won't be sooo butt hurt lol!!!

Singleshotneeded
09-30-2016, 10:57 AM
I have the Meopta Meostar 10X42, they're made in the Czech Republic across the border from Swarovski, and they're maybe 1% inferior to the Swaros in low light. I got them new in an Ebay auction for $700, and they're available rebadged as Cabelas Euro HD at Cabelas...for a bit more money. Excellent rugged binos, and you save a lot of money over the Big 3, mainly because of the premium you pay for the name when you buy Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski.

AgSilver
09-30-2016, 01:03 PM
I have the Meopta Meostar 10X42, they're made in the Czech Republic across the border from Swarovski, and they're maybe 1% inferior to the Swaros in low light. I got them new in an Ebay auction for $700, and they're available rebadged as Cabelas Euro HD at Cabelas...for a bit more money. Excellent rugged binos, and you save a lot of money over the Big 3, mainly because of the premium you pay for the name when you buy Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski.

Well, 6/7 hours away...but yeah, they're awesome. I have the Cabelas Instinct Euro Pros (not currently available, it seems) and they're awesome. My dad (a very long time experienced hunter...has top level Leupold glass) looked through mine the other day and said "holy shit, those are clear...way better than mine"

Fisher-Dude
09-30-2016, 02:45 PM

Side by side the Diamondbacks made my eyes bleed and the Terras were far more clear, with far more solid focus and diopter adjustments.

Thus, I bought Terras for the wife and she absolutely loves them.

One need only look at the glut of Vortex for sale on buy 'n' sell sites compared to other brands. For a relative newcomer to the game, there sure are a pile of people looking to dump them.

Wentrot
09-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Side by side the Diamondbacks made my eyes bleed and the Terras were far more clear, with far more solid focus and diopter adjustments.

Thus, I bought Terras for the wife and she absolutely loves them.

One need only look at the glut of Vortex for sale on buy 'n' sell sites compared to other brands. For a relative newcomer to the game, there sure are a pile of people looking to dump them.

I bet the amount of vortex products sold are much higher than other brands though, hense why we see them so much more on the forums for sale.

longwalk
09-30-2016, 03:56 PM
I looked through the Diamondbacks. Had a lot of stray light spots in them. I could pull my kids out of their sports and buy some really high end glass......��

Boner
09-30-2016, 05:38 PM
I looked through the Diamondbacks. Had a lot of stray light spots in them. I could pull my kids out of their sports and buy some really high end glass......��

Hahahahaha